+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT removing masonry paint off bricks?

OT removing masonry paint off bricks?

Anyone know what’s best to use? Not a huge job but can’t be arsed wasting my time with rubbish. trisodium phosphate? Cheers

Re: OT removing masonry paint off bricks?

It depends what type of brick it is. If they are Flettons then it should come off with a decent stripper like peelaway. With some bricks you'll find it almost impossible to get them looking tidy without sandblasting.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    It depends what type of brick it is. If they are Flettons then it should come off with a decent stripper like peelaway. With some bricks you'll find it almost impossible to get them looking tidy without sandblasting.
    An almost impossible job

There is a reason they say never to paint facing bricks

They are porous for a reason , buildings are meant to breathe , same with these con artist spray on all weather coatings ........total cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Ive got a job - that Ive not got around to doing, I was going to use a sandblaster but that will kill the surface layer of the brick, a pressure washer will probably be just as bad. I know someone who used peelaway and they had great results. Dont know how much it costs, Ive been meaning to do it for a while now, I may have a go at it this summer.

Let me know how you get on and what you use.

This is the product I will use
    Strangely enough I saw this just before I posted. £90 a bucket of it isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I cant remember - but something like that for a large tub. I was thinking about this earlier, for me the wall is an external wall - between us and next door - so I guess if I blast it - it may not matter if I damage the brick. Sandblasting or jetwashing is going to cause a lot of mess - not looking forward to it.
    I'm a brickie, try not to damage the face of the brick.
    Sludge was correct, but most moisture comes from outside.
    Was it painted for a reason?

sture comes from outside.
    That's why we have cavities.��