+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Looking at potential signings from Hamburg

Looking at potential signings from Hamburg

Apart from the striker who doesn't score linked in the other thread, who else do they have as they've just been relegated?

They have a Brazilian defensive midfielder called Walace, they signed 18 months ago for £8m
    Picks up a lot of interceptions and likes to break quickly and seems to be a threat at set pieces (6 ft 2)
    Only 23 still.
    Has had 2 full Brazil caps too.

They also have an 18 year old striker called Jann Fiete Arp - who is apparently really highly rated, but yet only scored 2 goals this season?. A whole host of top clubs are chasing him to stick in their ridiculous u21 squads and loan out for 3 years before selling on so we can probably forget about him.

The serbian winger Kostic, they paid 12m for a couple of years ago

A brazilian left back with one cap, called Douglas Santos, who seems decent

Greek Centre back Kyriakos Papadopoulis

Lewis Holtby and a load of other seemingly average players

Any of those possibles?

Re: Looking at potential signings from Hamburg

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apart from the striker who doesn't score linked in the other thread, who else do they have as they've just been relegated?

They have a Brazilian defensive midfielder called Walace, they signed 18 months ago for £8m
    Picks up a lot of interceptions and likes to break quickly and seems to be a threat at set pieces (6 ft 2)
    Only 23 still.

They also have an 18 year old striker called Jann Fiete Arp - who is apparently really highly rated, but yet only scored 2 goals this season?. A whole host of top clubs are chasing him to stick in their ridiculous u21 squads and loan out for 3 years before selling on so we can probably forget about him.

Any of those possibles?
    I thought holtby was going to be special but just never seemed to kick on

Only 23 still.

Any of those possibles?
    None of those will be at Cardiff next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I thought holtby was going to be special but just never seemed to kick on
    Seems to have missed a lot of the season with injury, but scored 5 in the last 7 games

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    None of those will be at Cardiff next season.
    Yeah you're probably right, but you never know - nobody would have foreseen us getting Medel last time round.
    And it's actually quite fun to speculate when you aren't a dried up husk of bitterness and resentment.

Ray Perban. Really hot prospect not mentioned above.

Yeah you're probably right, but you never know - nobody would have foreseen us getting Medel last time round.
    And it's actually quite fun to speculate when you aren't a dried up husk of bitterness and resentment.
    Ah, so it's one of THOSE threads is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    some lifestyle issues though

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

👍
    I see what you did there

I thought we voted for Brexit to stop this type of invasion , and taking away of our jobs .

Only 23 still.

Any of those possibles?
    I think we'll go largely for British players this summer but keep these threads coming RJK and Blue in the Face probably cos I love hearing about players like this who i probably wouldn't hear of otherwise.

I checked out some videos of that Walace fella. Granted we almost certainly aren't even looking , but he's just the type of player that I think we need.
    Quick and physical, protects the back 4 but is also good as passing, gets it forward quickly without hoofing it and always makes himself available for a pass, also good in the air at set pieces.

I think Neil will continue to shop at Iceland, no Fortnum & Mason for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think Neil will continue to shop at Iceland, no Fortnum & Mason for us.
    I'd argue that a side just relegated to 2. Bundesliga is Asda at best.
    How much would you expect to pay for a player who.was bought for 8m 18 months ago and since relegated?

I like Kostic but never gonna happen.

I likes Hamburgers, I do.

Yeah, don’t think Uncle Vinnie saw that Medel deal coming either. Anyways, don’t we usually do our shopping in Scotland?

I was wondering if any other bigish teams are getting relegated from one of the big leagues, and largely the answer is no.

the biggest who could still go down seem to be Toulouse from Ligue 1 (who are relegated if they dont win away on the weekend)

They seem to have a load of highly rated youngsters, but possibly they are suffering from playing too many youngsters at the same time
    A bit like when West Ham had Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand etc and were still cack.

They've got a keeper called Alban Lafont who's 19 and seems to have been in the team for a few years already.

Highly rated centrebacks Issa Diop (21 and captain) and Christopher Jullien (25)

A 20 year old right back Kelvin Amian
    A 21 year old defensive midfielder Alexis Blin

All of whom have been linked with bigger clubs

They also have Yaya sanogo from arsenal, who doesn't appear to have done much there either.

Can't think of his name now, but doesn't that Swiss international who used to play centre half for Arsenal still play for Hamburg? I would have thought Warnock would snap him up straight away if he had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can't think of his name now, but doesn't that Swiss international who used to play centre half for Arsenal still play for Hamburg? I would have thought Warnock would snap him up straight away if he had the chance.
    Djourou

Went on a free to a Turkish club last summer.

In a way I hope we aren't going in for a centre back, unless it's a younger one with a view to the longer term. I think part of our issues last time in the premier league was we didn't trust hudsons lack of pace so we broke up the defensive foundation that had won us promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Djourou is at Antalyaspor now.

I was wondering if any other bigish teams are getting relegated from one of the big leagues, and largely the answer is no.

the biggest who could still go down seem to be Toulouse from Ligue 1 (who are relegated if they dont win away on the weekend)

They seem to have a load of highly rated youngsters, but possibly they are suffering from playing too many youngsters at the same time
    A bit like when West Ham had Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand etc and were still cack.

They've got a keeper called Alban Lafont who's 19 and seems to have been in the team for a few years already.

Highly rated centrebacks Issa Diop (21 and captain) and Christopher Jullien (25)

A 20 year old right back Kelvin Amian
    A 21 year old defensive midfielder Alexis Blin

All of whom have been linked with bigger clubs

They also have Yaya sanogo from arsenal, who doesn't appear to have done much there either.
    Lafonts brill on Fifa manager 18 if you keep him a few seasons

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Lafonts brill on Fifa manager 18 if you keep him a few seasons
    Saw a few video clips of him, looks a real prospect but not the finished article yet.
    Positioning and reflexes are great as is his reach, but tends to push the ball into dangerous positions a bit too much rather than holding onto it.

I reckon a big club will snap him up and loan him out on the off chance he fulfills his potential, as to be playing at that level at that age is undeniably impressive - even with a few wrinkles in his game

Djourou

Went on a free to a Turkish club last summer.

In a way I hope we aren't going in for a centre back, unless it's a younger one with a view to the longer term. I think part of our issues last time in the premier league was we didn't trust hudsons lack of pace so we broke up the defensive foundation that had won us promotion.
    I agree.