+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Salomon Rondon

Salomon Rondon

A week or so ago we were linked with a bid for Rondon.

All of the West Brom STH's & supporters I've talked to rate him very highly, particularly his skill, work ethic & commitment. Fair to say that the fans want to keep hold of him.

I've talked to a friend who works for West Brom (on the football side) about Rondon. He thinks that Rondon is on £60k+ bonuses and has a £15M buy out clause in his contract.

I can't see us parting with that sort of money / salary.

Re: Salomon Rondon

I like him as a player but if he's on that sort of money then I hope we don't go for him.

I hope we go along the lines of a salary cap rather than have a couple of 'superstars'. I reckon there are a few in our squad who are on more than others but nothing ridiculous and it's brought about a good team spirit and work ethic which will be vital next year.

We will have to spend a decent amount to get in some premier league quality but within reason.

Is 60k a week a lot for a premier league player now? Surely we are going to have to pay a few players that. As long as they have a relegation clause it’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A week or so ago we were linked with a bid for Rondon.

All of the West Brom STH's & supporters I've talked to rate him very highly, particularly his skill, work ethic & commitment. Fair to say that the fans want to keep hold of him.

I've talked to a friend who works for West Brom (on the football side) about Rondon. He thinks that Rondon is on £60k+ bonuses and has a £15M buy out clause in his contract.

I can't see us parting with that sort of money / salary.
    I heard a radio interview with NW when he said he wouldn't pay 20mn for a striker as he could get 4 or 5 players for that. So it would be a surprise if they spend big money like that on one player.

All 3 promoted clubs spent £10m+ on at least one player. Huddersfield spent £11.5m on Mounie, £11m on Pritchard and £10m on Ince. Brighton spent £15m on Locadia, £13m on Izquierdo and £11m on Propper. Even Newcastle spent £12m on Murphy and £9m on Lejuene. While we're more likely to wheel and deal, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us spend £10m+ on someone.

Say Rondon has a 40% wage drop due to relegation, which isn't really based on anything, that brings his wages to 36k.

It's certainly not probable but I wouldn't rule it out.

Poor mans Zohore

I think if we can get a really good creative midfielder, Zohore could get 15 goals.

Selling clubs inflate transfer fees once you become a premier league club. Warnock won't buy just for the sake of it, he'd rather pick up a journey man on a free who can do almost as good a job as a £20m player, and work his magic on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Selling clubs inflate transfer fees once you become a premier league club. Warnock won't buy just for the sake of it, he'd rather pick up a journey man on a free who can do almost as good a job as a £20m player, and work his magic on him.
    There is the debate in that is where his management fails at this level. In the championship you can spot a player, train him up to maximum fitness, motivate him, and get him playing to his highest level, and he is more successful than ever, this clearly works.

However the Premiership needs something else, the players mistakes are punished more. Chances are less often, then you need that moment of magic, you are now signing players maybe without the work ethic but with skills that you need to win games at this level. At that point you start splitting the squad (see Warnocks time at qpr).

I think that this is an exaggerated example, and i see no reason why Warnock cannot succeed at the top level. However the model will have to change slightly at Cardiff, because the market we are now in has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    There is the debate in that is where his management fails at this level. In the championship you can spot a player, train him up to maximum fitness, motivate him, and get him playing to his highest level, and he is more successful than ever, this clearly works.

However the Premiership needs something else, the players mistakes are punished more. Chances are less often, then you need that moment of magic, you are now signing players maybe without the work ethic but with skills that you need to win games at this level. At that point you start splitting the squad (see Warnocks time at qpr).

I think that this is an exaggerated example, and i see no reason why Warnock cannot succeed at the top level. However the model will have to change slightly at Cardiff, because the market we are now in has changed.
    I thought that we got away with murder this season due to the poor standard of finishing of opposing sides.