+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you cheap ?

Are you cheap ?

American waiters see the British as "cheap". We are poor tippers. I don't go to America but if I went there my usual 10% UK tip would be seen as inadequate. They now expect a 20% tip but they wouldn't be upset by 15%.

The link below has hundreds of comments by American waiters about tips from various groups. I found the comments very interesting. Some would say these comments are racist and ignorant, but other might say they are just objective observations. If you can't be bothered with the link I have saved you the time by summarizing the comments.

Good tippers : Gay men, Hells Angels, middle aged white men

Cheap but pleasant : Brits, Lesbians, Irish

Just Cheap : Chinese, Northern Europeans, Australians, rich women, church people, old people, people who promise a tip

Cheap and Nasty (i.e. you are their slave) : Blacks, Hispanics, Teenagers, Indians ("part of them dies when they tip")

The lowest circle of waiter/waitress Hell : Gypsies

http://www.waiterrant.net/2009/11/wh...worst-tippers/

Re: Are you cheap ?

Dreadful that they get paid so inadequately that tips are a necessity for any reasonable sort of earnings.

I usually don’t mind tipping in the USA as the service often warrants it. Not so much here at home, I’m happy to tip if the service is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    I usually don’t mind tipping in the USA as the service often warrants it. Not so much here at home, I’m happy to tip if the service is good.
    What surprises me is how they know the categories of some of those eg lesbians church goers ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    American waiters see the British as "cheap". We are poor tippers. I don't go to America but if I went there my usual 10% UK tip would be seen as inadequate. They now expect a 20% tip but they wouldn't be upset by 15%.

The link below has hundreds of comments by American waiters about tips from various groups. I found the comments very interesting. Some would say these comments are racist and ignorant, but other might say they are just objective observations. If you can't be bothered with the link I have saved you the time by summarizing the comments.

Just Cheap : Chinese, Northern Europeans, Australians, rich women, church people, old people, people who promise a tip

Cheap and Nasty (i.e. you are their slave) : Blacks, Hispanics, Teenagers, Indians ("part of them dies when they tip")

When I went to China about twenty years ago (and not in one of the fashionable cities) my tips were returned, once by a lady in traditional dress who chased down the road in her traditional dress after we paid to have tea served to us in the traditional way. Tipping just wasn't their culture at that time it seemed.

I'm a gay, black, church-going Brit, so where does that put me on the tipping scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    What surprises me is how they know the categories of some of those eg lesbians church goers ?
    Butch tattoo of a naked woman draped around a crucifix. As with the Hell's Angels really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm a gay, black, church-going Brit, so where does that put me on the tipping scale?
    How much do you put in the collection tray?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post

Fly tipping with the gypos

The whole tipping culture really bugs me. The price should include service, it's not as though they're doing you a favour.
    Once in America I had a woman outraged that I hadn't tipped her when I paid her for entry to a nightclub. Literally to just take my money from me.

It's their culture though so I typically tip 20% over there. (Usually on business so fill yer boots)
    It does bug me that they tip in countries where it isn't the culture, as it then starts to be expected.

Over here I don't carry cash so I only ever til if there's the option to do it on the card machine, and even then it's 10% tops

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    When I went to China about twenty years ago (and not in one of the fashionable cities) my tips were returned, once by a lady in traditional dress who chased down the road in her traditional dress after we paid to have tea served to us in the traditional way. Tipping just wasn't their culture at that time it seemed.
    Tradition seems very important to her.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Fly tipping with the gypos
    On channel 5 Thursday night at 9

International

If there is a service charge on a british restaurant bill ask them to take it off, then pay with your card.
    Then give the tip in cash. If you add it to the bill it will have VAT deducted from it at 20% so the waiters you want to thank get less. I even do this in top London restaurants nd it is always appreciated.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    On channel 5 Thursday night at 9

👍

Set to record

Tipping encourages restaurants to pay their staff less money because they know they're getting extra through tips

This is just some individual's blog. It doesn't even warrant discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This is just some individual's blog. It doesn't even warrant discussion.
    You'll find more truth in blogs than in the newspapers. Anyway, it is not just one person's opinion - there are comments from over a hundred waiters and waitresses.

I do tip over here most of the time but is probably about 5%. I mean even the minimum wage shouldn't leave people short if live within their means.
    In the US it's a bit different and I do tip between 15-20% but it certainly shouldn't be a given like some expect

Plenty of US places are now asking for 25 %

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Plenty of US places are now asking for 25 %
    They won’t be getting 25% from me Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    They won’t be getting 25% from me Matthew
    its madness really

I am in a FB group of " professional vacation planners " and in NY a few have reported 28% is listed, i remember when i first went to WDW ( only 18 years ago ) and the tips were listed at 13 & 15 %

at this rate it is going to be a 1/3 of the check soon enough

I hated every tip I dished out in NYC , because it's forced upon one ,and not actually based on good or bad service .

I went with a young family who just scrapped together the money for the trip, they had to rely on credit cards , and had little cash so very tough for them and the kids.

Why should someone supplement a person's wage , after poor service ,madness.

There is another side as well , some earn an absolute fortune in tips in the big cities.
    ,I watched one Barman in the hotel take a dollar for most drinks , bet he served hundreds each night.

The concierge outside the hotel blackmailed and almost threatened us over parking valet fees .

Never going back to NYC sadly.

Boston and Mystic were lovely though .

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post

I am genuinely a part of a demographic in each of those categories!
    Middle aged white (half)
    British (Welsh)
    Australian (Citizen and live here)
    black (half)
    Irish 'gypsie' (the white half)

I ****ing hate tipping and wish people were just paid fairly for their time.

Nobody tips in Australia, the minimum wage is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I do tip over here most of the time but is probably about 5%. I mean even the minimum wage shouldn't leave people short if live within their means.
    In the US it's a bit different and I do tip between 15-20% but it certainly shouldn't be a given like some expect
    Well said Mazza I learnt to tip in the states and I do it quite a lot over here now as well.
    When i was younger i was a real skin flint never gave anyone anything but expected everything a warped sense of entitlement i suppose and never had enough esspecially money then i learnt to give it away to keep it now I spread my hard earned around and **** me it just keeps coming back i really do get the term that money has to flow.

In my experience in the States, where tipping isn't expected the
    Service is quite poor. eg: supermarkets, petrol stations.