+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well done the Tory government

Well done the Tory government

Never in a million years did I think I'd ever write that

But credit where it's due

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...inals-cut-to-2

Re: Well done the Tory government

The government are a bit all over the place on gambling. This is a positive move, if your business model survives on luring people to these machines then I say good riddance. However in background the government have transformed sports betting into little more than roulette with their licensing rules. Ethical firms like Pinnacle are forced out of our market, a cynic might suggest that those changes were less about protecting the consumer and more about protecting the status quo (instilling huge barriers to entry for new firms).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The government are a bit all over the place on gambling. This is a positive move, if your business model survives on luring people to these machines then I say good riddance. However in background the government have transformed sports betting into little more than roulette with their licensing rules. Ethical firms like Pinnacle are forced out of our market, a cynic might suggest that those changes were less about protecting the consumer and more about protecting the status quo (instilling huge barriers to entry for new firms).
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put anything past this lot.

But whatever the motivation, I think it's got to be good that vulnerable people are now a little less likely to have their lives ruined by these machines

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Laughing Gammon.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I can only imagine the pain and anguish you went through Eric having to type that.
    "Ethical firms like Pinnacle are forced out of our market" where do you work Eric ?
    I am confused about what your point is? I work for a local authority and for full disclosure used to play poker somewhat semi-professionally.

'Our market' meaning our regulatory area, if you don't have a UK license you can't have UK customers. Since this change was made not only is the landscape less rich for the consumer (the 'gambler'), firms that built their business model around respect and a competitive but fair market have disappeared because their margin wasn't big enough to sustain the hike in taxation. Imagine the uproar if the government said 'from X date you can only buy products sold by companies based in the UK', also imagine what that does to competition and the quality of the product available.

The outcome in terms of sports betting is that winning is now less and less plausible, if you broke even before, you lose now. So whilst broadly positive to remove these machines this feels like a hypocritical move to me. Is it also just a move to push problem gambling back into the home and out of site?

I am confused about what your point is? I work for a local authority and for full disclosure used to play poker somewhat semi-professionally.

'Our market' meaning our regulatory area, if you don't have a UK license you can't have UK customers. Since this change was made not only is the landscape less rich for the consumer (the 'gambler'), firms that built their business model around respect and a competitive but fair market have disappeared because their margin wasn't big enough to sustain the hike in taxation. Imagine the uproar if the government said 'from X date you can only buy products sold by companies based in the UK', also imagine what that does to competition and the quality of the product available.

The outcome in terms of sports betting is that winning is now less and less plausible, if you broke even before, you lose now. So whilst broadly positive to remove these machines this feels like a hypocritical move to me. Is it also just a move to push problem gambling back into the home and out of site?
    Good job your not a cynic, isn't it?

Just strange that someone would call it 'our' market but not actually work in that market - hey ho.

But now then - back to familiar territory for you and a few others on here ..... Why arent you out protesting at the estimated 20,000 people who will lose their jobs because of this evil and nasty decision ?
    A govt wilfully destroying an industry, evil horrible bastards. ... etc
    It is okay not to have anything to contribute to a thread, no need to force it.

It is okay not to have anything to contribute to a thread, no need to force it.
    Same could be said about your good friend aunty Andy, but I see no criticism from you of her post?

Slightly hypocritical. If I may say so.

Just strange that someone would call it 'our' market but not actually work in that market - hey ho.

But now then - back to familiar territory for you and a few others on here ..... Why arent you out protesting at the estimated 20,000 people who will lose their jobs because of this evil and nasty decision ?
    Angry Gammon.

Same could be said about your good friend aunty Andy, but I see no criticism from you of her post?

Slightly hypocritical. If I may say so.
    When somebody quotes me and asks a question or makes a counter argument, I respond.

Auntie Andy can say what she wants, you will notice I haven't responded to Nick's posts either.

I see you have a new word that you've heard somewhere and now want to use as much as possible.

Carillion job losses / Betting job losses , is there a difference ? - you should be demanding the Govt reintroduce the £100 bet instead of the £2 bet
    I would wager you won't get a response to either of the points made there.

Who did the estimating?

I loved the betting chains response , who said this will put 20 thousand jobs at risk , argh those jobs where you imprisoned one person behind a screen , who does everything from cleaning, locking up , and being abused by mad punters each day for next tk nothing money . Bloody close them all down ,turn them into coffee shops

Skybet boss, Corals spokesperson, Radio5 host and a couple of market analysts they interviewed.
    Don't forget that well known independent analyst/lobbying group the Association of British Bookmakers. Out of interest how many fixed odds betting terminals does Skybet have?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I loved the betting chains response , who said this will put 20 thousand jobs at risk , argh those jobs where you imprisoned one person behind a screen , who does everything from cleaning, locking up , and being abused by mad punters each day for next tk nothing money . Bloody close them all down ,turn them into coffee shops
    No-one is compelled to apply for or accept a job at a bookmaker's. The same can be said for any other employment in the UK you care to mention. Care to dispute those assertions?

As for them being imprisoned, what bollox.

Sherlock gammon.

It seems we are correct. Just some muppet regurgitating the same word time and time again.

Maybe a bit of research would be in order , never knew it was such a popular word 'Gammon Flaps' tickled me though - seeing it's relevance.

Meanwhile back to terrible politicians deliberately causing those job losses - when are we protesting to bring down the Govt (again)
    It's like dealing with someone suffering from Tourettes. They keep shouting out meaningless words and phrases all the time.

I see you have a new word that you've heard somewhere and now want to use as much as possible.

Carillion job losses / Betting job losses , is there a difference ? - you should be demanding the Govt reintroduce the £100 bet instead of the £2 bet
    I was leaving this one to Andy but since you desperately need immediate attention.

Job losses as a result of a policy/legal change that is (if you trust the government line) designed to cause positive societal change being compared to job losses and hardship caused by yet another expensive private sector middleman failing to deliver what they promised.

You think that is a valid comparison?

I was leaving this one to Andy but since you desperately need immediate attention.

Job losses as a result of a policy/legal change that is (if you trust the government line) designed to cause positive societal change being compared to job losses and hardship caused by yet another expensive private sector middleman failing to deliver what they promised.

You think that is a valid comparison?
    Interesting that the betting shops only have "Job losses" whilst Carillion have "job losses and hardship" in your own words.

Don't you think that the people in the betting shops who lose their jobs will have any hardship??

Interesting that the betting shops only have "Job losses" whilst Carillion have "job losses and hardship" in your own words.

Don't you think that the people in the betting shops who lose their jobs will have any hardship??
    The "job losses" are estimates by the Bookmakers' lobby group. You could say that they would say that wouldn't they. I don't know if they factored in the potential jobs/houses/marriages/welfare payments saved for those afflicted or tempted by this addiction but when you actually implement policy change then there should be an overall evidenced based impact assessment covering economic, legal and social impacts for Ministerial consideration. Presumably this was done in this case.

The Carrillion jobs are actual job losses and consequential hardship as a result of a massive corporate failure triggered by greed and obsfucation that existing corporate governance legislation seems powerless to prevent.

So, F*** the workers in the betting shops who'll lose their jobs is basically what you are saying.

Interesting.

From the interviews of actual folk working in these establishment's ,hard ship is already upon them , probaly stuck wworking in the environment to make ends meet , I do feel sorry for them ,as they do face a lot of hostility as reported by the police and workers .

The big gamble: the dangerous world of British betting shops

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y_to_clipboard