+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well done the Tory government

Re: Well done the Tory government

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    From the interviews of actual folk working in these establishment's ,hard ship is already upon them , probaly stuck wworking in the environment to make ends meet , I do feel sorry for them ,as they do face a lot of hostility as reported by the police and workers .

The big gamble: the dangerous world of British betting shops

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y_to_clipboard
    F*** them appears to be the prevailing attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So, F*** the workers in the betting shops who'll lose their jobs is basically what you are saying.

Interesting.
    I can't recall offering an opinion on the merits of the policy but this new found care for the lot of the dispossessed working classes is quite becoming in one of Thatcher's disciples.

As is the F*** the workers attitude with regards to people working in meeting shops by certain hard left Corbynista's on here.

As is the F*** the workers attitude with regards to people working in meeting shops by certain hard left Corbynista's on here.
    You seem to have gone a little incoherent and potty mouthed. I suggest you put your feet up with a nice Rioja and see if that brings the colour back to your cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You seem to have gone a little incoherent and potty mouthed. I suggest you put your feet up with a nice Rioja and see if that brings the colour back to your cheeks.

Interesting that the betting shops only have "Job losses" whilst Carillion have "job losses and hardship" in your own words.

Don't you think that the people in the betting shops who lose their jobs will have any hardship??
    I should have been clearer given the audience, I wanted to acknowledge the many contractors who faced issues when Carrillion went tits up. As a company they didn't employ that many people, perhaps the largest impact was felt by those who were self employed and they shouldn't be forgotten in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    A job lost is a job lost - Eric & Gammon Flaps - the outcome is the same, people will be starving because of this. This Govt policy has directly caused the job loss of someone , you should be outraged - we should be demanding something (not sure what though) , I for one will marching off later to the pub to protest, I may even have a bet in a show of solidarity and support of the brave Gambling Workers of this country, tirelessly working to keep our fruit machines safe.

ps asking a question - is not demanding attention, you or Gammon flaps dont have to hit the reply button if you dont want to - it's a big world out there and you're free to do whatever you want
    You didn't just ask a question though did you? You asked it and then you and Nick went about acting like it was some zinger that nobody could respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I should have been clearer given the audience, I wanted to acknowledge the many contractors who faced issues when Carrillion went tits up. As a company they didn't employ that many people, perhaps the largest impact was felt by those who were self employed and they shouldn't be forgotten in all of this.
    You should have been clearer, full stop.

You still don't acknowledge that any betting shop workers will suffer any hardship, however.

A wise man once said

It's like dealing with someone suffering from Tourettes. They keep shouting out meaningless words and phrases all the time.

You should have been clearer, full stop.

You still don't acknowledge that any betting shop workers will suffer any hardship, however.
    Of course they will, they lost their jobs and that sucks for them. The situation is different to Carrillion though. Maybe we should bring back hanging because it put a lot of hardworking hangmen out of business?

You didn't just ask a question though did you? You asked it and then you and Nick went about acting like it was some zinger that nobody could respond.
    No. it was a very straightforward question that posters of a certain political persuasion seemed reluctant to respond to.

No. it was a very straightforward question that posters of a certain political persuasion seemed reluctant to respond to.
    The reason might be because you turn into a couple of children when people engage with you.

The reason might be because you turn into a couple of children when people engage with you.
    Unlike the poster who calls people “gammon” non stop.

Eh?

Unlike the poster who calls people “gammon” non stop.

Eh?
    You might notice how I don't join in.

You might notice how I don't join in.
    No. I did notice.

I also noticed you called others a couple of children.

No. I did notice.

I also noticed you called others a couple of children.
    Well Ninian asked a question. I answered respectfully and then you both became hysterical and weird.

Well Ninian asked a question. I answered respectfully and then you both became hysterical and weird.
    The only "hysterical and weird" poster that I can see on this thread is the barking mad one that keeps shouting "Gammon" at everyone who doesn't agree with her.

Carillion employee 43,000 people Eric, 20,000 or so work in the UK and they also sub contract additional work. 20,000 UK employees is not a small number employees - I think even gammon flaps would admit that.

BT also subcontracts lots of its work out, they hire in (not employ) lots of sub contractors to - who will also be affected by BT's decision. So it's still the same - a job lost is a job lost.

That's why the rather tongue in cheek post - people should have been outraged, protesting, demanding for the resignation of Theresa May when they introduced this change to the rules. At least these job losses were the direct result of the Govt, Carillion going tits up was just incompetence.
    If the public think this measure solves a major societal problem then why should they protest? I am really struggling to understand your point. I personally don't think it solves a problem because it will just push it online. I would love a more ethical gambling industry.

State sponsored incompetence and most the people responsible won't suffer the consequences of it.

Carillion employee 43,000 people Eric, 20,000 or so work in the UK and they also sub contract additional work. 20,000 UK employees is not a small number employees - I think even gammon flaps would admit that.

BT also subcontracts lots of its work out, they hire in (not employ) lots of sub contractors to - who will also be affected by BT's decision. So it's still the same - a job lost is a job lost.

That's why the rather tongue in cheek post - people should have been outraged, protesting, demanding for the resignation of Theresa May when they introduced this change to the rules. At least these job losses were the direct result of the Govt, Carillion going tits up was just incompetence.
    There are also 40k people employed in the gambling sector with around 9k betting shops on the high street. The trade body, the Association of British Bookmakers, estimates that 4k shops and 21k people will lose their jobs as a direct consequence of the reduction in stakes for fixed odds machines. Apparently the sector that has remained reasonably stable in the number of shops and employees for the best part of a decade is suddenly going to lose over half its workforce and 45% of its high street footprint due to apparent over-reliance on these machines as the key source of income. A more prudent industry perhaps would have worked out the odds and spread the risk to avoid this apparent overdependency. Perhaps Carillion isn't the only industry to suffer as a consequence of corporate incompetence

Conversely perhaps the trade estimates are a little, shall we say, frothy. Still we live in an age where people believed that £350m a week extra will be pumped into the NHS as a direct consequence of Brexit so having these as the basis of an argument are as good as any I suppose.

Cyril, my only tongue in cheek point about this is that Cariilion - a public limited company goes pair shaped and Eric and Auntie Gammon Flaps are calling for the resignation of the Prime Minister, heads must roll and all the usual stuff (even though Carillion is not a Govt Dept or Govt owned) and then when the Govt do something that is of their own making that affects jobs and will incur job losses - we are deafened by the silence. Same goes for the 13,000 BT jobs lost last week.

Gammon Flaps should be out protesting , marching on Parliament re this Govt decision on betting shops like she did when Carillion went tits up (even though it was nothing to do with the Govt)
    When did I say that?

There are also 40k people employed in the gambling sector with around 9k betting shops on the high street. The trade body, the Association of British Bookmakers, estimates that 4k shops and 21k people will lose their jobs as a direct consequence of the reduction in stakes for fixed odds machines. Apparently the sector that has remained reasonably stable in the number of shops and employees for the best part of a decade is suddenly going to lose over half its workforce and 45% of its high street footprint due to apparent over-reliance on these machines as the key source of income. A more prudent industry perhaps would have worked out the odds and spread the risk to avoid this apparent overdependency. Perhaps Carillion isn't the only industry to suffer as a consequence of corporate incompetence

Conversely perhaps the trade estimates are a little, shall we say, frothy. Still we live in an age where people believed that £350m a week extra will be pumped into the NHS as a direct consequence of Brexit so having these as the basis of an argument are as good as any I suppose.
    Have read a few accounts of staff at high street bookmakers and they all had the same tone. The companies saw it as a gravy train, they knew the machines at their current stakes had a limited shelf life and they just pushed it on 'customers' until it was over. Government have threatened this for a long while. In the thread on the main board I posted an idea that was also presented during these accounts that the reason the government are taking this action has more to do with the fact that the machines, to some extent, are being used to clean dirty cash. Not sure how prevalent that is but it is a feasible theory.