+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well done the Tory government

Re: Well done the Tory government

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Cyril, my only tongue in cheek point about this is that Cariilion - a public limited company goes pair shaped and Eric and Auntie Gammon Flaps are calling for the resignation of the Prime Minister, heads must roll and all the usual stuff (even though Carillion is not a Govt Dept or Govt owned) and then when the Govt do something that is of their own making that affects jobs and will incur job losses - we are deafened by the silence. Same goes for the 13,000 BT jobs lost last week.

Gammon Flaps should be out protesting , marching on Parliament re this Govt decision on betting shops like she did when Carillion went tits up (even though it was nothing to do with the Govt)
    I understand your general point and have a degree of agreement. Governments of any colour cannot be held responsible for every change in conditions that impact job loss or growth, though most try to diminish their role in the former and big up their role in the latter. Change and the market is always going to dwarf the imact of government intervention or the lack of it.

I think the circumstances around companies such as Carillion that had such a reliance on taxpayers' money in the contracts awarded necessitated a greater degree of oversight and governance because of the impact that failure in that sector had not just on the employees and suppliers but the services and capital projects with which they were entrusted.

New hospitals are either gathering dust or are delayed more expensively as a consequence of this corporate mismanagement and the government has to bear a degree of responsibility for failing both in its oversight and the decisions it made to award Carillion contracts when doubts had been raised with Ministers about the company's finances. I would not have their heads on pikes perhaps in the way argued but there has to be a level of accountability that is somewhat lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Cyril, my only tongue in cheek point about this is that Cariilion - a public limited company goes pair shaped and Eric and Auntie Gammon Flaps are calling for the resignation of the Prime Minister, heads must roll and all the usual stuff (even though Carillion is not a Govt Dept or Govt owned) and then when the Govt do something that is of their own making that affects jobs and will incur job losses - we are deafened by the silence. Same goes for the 13,000 BT jobs lost last week.

Gammon Flaps should be out protesting , marching on Parliament re this Govt decision on betting shops like she did when Carillion went tits up (even though it was nothing to do with the Govt)
    Gammon flaps Youre not quite getting it are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Gammon flaps Youre not quite getting it are you.
    I think he has got it absolutely spot on actually.

And your silly little games mean that forever on this message board, you'll be known by that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

And your silly little games mean that forever on this message board, you'll be known by that name.
    I guess having a name you are forever known by on a message board is important to you?

Fantastic, I love it

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I guess having a name you are forever known by on a message board is important to you?
    Not in the slightest actually, son.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Fantastic, I love it
    I’m sure we will see you change your user name then, if you love it so much....

Not in the slightest actually, son.
    Bit presumptive, how do you know it's not daughter, papa (or mama)?

I don't accept that the government should be applauded for limiting people's choices. Age restrictions exist for entering betting shops so it's not as if children use those machines.

Not children, no. But the truly stupid who need to be saved from themselves.

The truly stupid are everywhere, that's why personal debt is through the roof with people unable or unwilling to live beneath their means by spending on crap they can easily do without and cannot afford.

Other than not compelling energy customers to switch to smart meters I'm struggling to think of any decisions the Tories have made in the past eight years that can be congratulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Other than not compelling energy customers to switch to smart meters I'm struggling to think of any decisions the Tories have made in the past eight years that can be congratulated.
    Apart from this betting terminals I would struggle too.

I really have a problem with the way gambling has become normalised within society. If it carries on I think it's going to become a massive problem for some people.

I hope the O.P. of this comment on the other board doesn't mind me posting it here

"About £30k and 10 years too late for me but hey-ho.

Ive come out the other side but this is welcome news for those still addicted."

Says it all for me

You might be older than I, but my memory goes back to the early 1970s and gambling was accepted and everywhere then. From having a flutter on the Grand National and Derby to visiting bingo halls I'd say the majority of the population indulged.

You might be older than I, but my memory goes back to the early 1970s and gambling was accepted and everywhere then. From having a flutter on the Grand National and Derby to visiting bingo halls I'd say the majority of the population indulged.
    I'd say the number of betting shops on the High Street has increased massively since the 70s. That's without the internet.

Growing up, none of my mates ever went to the bookies, maybe someone at work ran a sweep on the Grand National

I watched the last AJ fight with a crowd of mates and their families, most of the teenagers were checking the odds on their phones and placing bets as the fight progressed. I'm sure most of them will never have a problem, but I'd wager one or two may in the future.

Maybe I just had a sheltered upbringing - in Trecenydd!

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I'd say the number of betting shops on the High Street has increased massively since the 70s. That's without the internet.

Growing up, none of my mates ever went to the bookies, maybe someone at work ran a sweep on the Grand National

I watched the last AJ fight with a crowd of mates and their families, most of the teenagers were checking the odds on their phones and placing bets as the fight progressed. I'm sure most of them will never have a problem, but I'd wager one or two may in the future.

I really can’t believe the guy actually believes himself, what he just typed. The opportunity to gamble in either a bookies or online has grown exponentially in recent years.

Just attention seeking, I believe.

I think the two major differences are that gambling used to be a sociable activity (look at dog track attendance then and now) and wasn't done on credit.

I won't disagree about the gambling industry having expanded greatly but it's founded on the same something for nothing mentality from decades ago. Betting in-running as you described is deadly for those with poor impulse control. The weak minded will always find ways to submerge themselves in debt. Most do so through rampant consumerism rather than gambling.

I really can’t believe the guy actually believes himself, what he just typed. The opportunity to gamble in either a bookies or online has grown exponentially in recent years.

Are you replying to me? Just a bit confused

Are you replying to me? Just a bit confused
    No. Morgan.

No. Morgan.

No. Morgan.
    Please don't pick on me. You have enough to contend with Auntie on your case.

Don't be hard on yourself

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Don't be hard on yourself
    You and I know quite well that I was referring to Morgan.

You just can’t help yourself though can you?

Please don't pick on me. You have enough to contend with Auntie on your case.
    Flapper is on everyone, who is not a screaming left wingers case.