+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City and the Premier League - a fleeting moment again or something more permanent this time?

Cardiff City and the Premier League - a fleeting moment again or something more permanent this time?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Cardiff City and the Premier League - a fleeting moment again or something more permanent this time?

Thank you tobw A very interesting take on things.

I see in WoL that Blackwell has/is looking at potential signings so hopefully he will cover the bases regarding skill, playing attributes and ability to fit in with the ethos built/ being built under NWs stewardship.

But let us also hope that lessons from the previous experience dont get in the way of signing ‘that one special player’ who can really make us tick and be the difference in enjoying our time in the sun

Or not

Re: Cardiff City and the Premier League - a fleeting moment again or something more permanent this time?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Thank you tobw A very interesting take on things.

I see in WoL that Blackwell has/is looking at potential signings so hopefully he will cover the bases regarding skill, playing attributes and ability to fit in with the ethos built/ being built under NWs stewardship.

But let us also hope that lessons from the previous experience dont get in the way of signing ‘that one special player’ who can really make us tick and be the difference in enjoying our time in the sun

Or not
    What would happen if Warnock were to leave for whatever reason? How would a new manager handle the squad situation? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Warnock Way has many disciples in the football world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What would happen if Warnock were to leave for whatever reason? How would a new manager handle the squad situation? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Warnock Way has many disciples in the football world.
    What? Winning matches? I think he has lots of disciples.

Seriously though, there are a lot of teams play a similar style to us so it shouldn’t be too difficult to move on. We’re never going to have the worlds greatest players as they’d just be bought off us if we tried to go that route. Don’t worry about it too much and just enjoy the ride NW is about to take us on.

Does anyone know where this "Swansea are everyone's 2nd Premier Team" comes from? I've seen it bandied about for a while now, particularly by Jacks, but I've yet to meet anyone who has Swansea as their 2nd team - apart from a few Liverpool fans from South West Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Does anyone know where this "Swansea are everyone's 2nd Premier Team" comes from? I've seen it bandied about for a while now, particularly by Jacks, but I've yet to meet anyone who has Swansea as their 2nd team - apart from a few Liverpool fans from South West Wales.
    Around 90% of the Liberty Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Around 90% of the Liberty Stadium?
    Equals c18,000 people compared with c760,000 premiership supporters

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    “...skill, playing attributes and ability to fit in with the ethos “

I think you might also refer to Atletico Madrid’s winning style of play. More skillful players and not the usual Spanish style but effective nevertheless

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    What? Winning matches? I think he has lots of disciples.

Seriously though, there are a lot of teams play a similar style to us so it shouldn’t be too difficult to move on. We’re never going to have the worlds greatest players as they’d just be bought off us if we tried to go that route. Don’t worry about it too much and just enjoy the ride NW is about to take us on.
    I think we were seeing an extreme version of "Warnock's Way" by the end of the season - I enjoyed the version we had from about New Year's Day onwards last season and we were generally good to watch in the first half of this season, but I can't say I enjoyed much of what I saw from then on.

Of course, this run of games I'm whingeing about contained eight consecutive victories and I think it was twelve matches unbeaten, so we were still getting something right most of the time - it's just that I think we'd been figured out by the better teams in the Championship by the last month or two of the campaign and, if they could do it, I would have thought many in the Premier League will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    What I was saying was that there was a time when people used to say Swansea were the second Premier team", but, by the end, barely anybody was saying it. The jacks would never be my second Premier League team, but I'll admit I used to enjoy watching them play in the time just before we got promoted for the first time and there were certainly occasions when I was jealous of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think we were seeing an extreme version of "Warnock's Way" by the end of the season - I enjoyed the version we had from about New Year's Day onwards last season and we were generally good to watch in the first half of this season, but I can't say I enjoyed much of what I saw from then on.

Of course, this run of games I'm whingeing about contained eight consecutive victories and I think it was twelve matches unbeaten, so we were still getting something right most of the time - it's just that I think we'd been figured out by the better teams in the Championship by the last month or two of the campaign and, if they could do it, I would have thought many in the Premier League will as well.
    I think NW sent the players out to play with freedom in the first part of the season until it all came unravelled at Xmas when we lost Morrison and 4 consecutive games. The coaches and NW then decided on a much more attritional and less risky approach to achieving success as we were in a fabulous position to exceed the pre-season target of achieving the play-offs. I'm happy with the compromise and happy that we have a Manager and Coaches capable of mixing and matching as needed.

I don't think we've lost the ability to play 'attractive' football (whatever that is!) - just didn't need to in order to achieve promotion this year.

Thanks Paul great read, gets you thinking.

It will be tough , I personally think we have a better side this time around,better ethos , and more importantly a 300%, better management team whose experince you can't buy .

The league is competitive from 10 down , it's split into rich the untouchables and the rest , lets go and spread that rash, make it infectous .