+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The most brilliant promotion I will enjoy

The most brilliant promotion I will enjoy

It has finally sunk in. We are up. I am not worried about football.
    I am even going with my mate Psycho to see Cottagers v Villa next Saturday.

I cannot get over how many critical results we had last season ...using hindsight.

We seemed to win so many games by a single goal.
    We had some critical late equalisers.

Lost 4 in a row at Xmas and yet went 13 unbeaten when the heat was on.

1-0 at Ipswich. Late
    1-0 v Wurzels. Late.
    1-0 v Midds.

Strangely although late in the season our two best away wins (Ignoring Scum) came by two goal margins at Norwich and Hull.

The point of this stupid ramble is that EVERY single game had significance but only because Fulham pushed so hard at us.

I remember saying to mates at Burton on the opening day as we walked back to our away pub that the late strike to give us a 1-0 away win might prove important at the end of the season.
    HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS!

Bluebirds

Re: The most brilliant promotion I will enjoy

It was ironic in that we had our 8 point advantage chipped away bit by bit and the goalless draw in the final game could have meant us blowing it. We had every opportunity to do a Cardiff again but didn't. Relegation next season doesn't bother me and the parachute payments should help the club consolidate and be competing for promotion the year after. More interesting than staying up in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It was ironic in that we had our 8 point advantage chipped away bit by bit and the goalless draw in the final game could have meant us blowing it. We had every opportunity to do a Cardiff again but didn't. Relegation next season doesn't bother me and the parachute payments should help the club consolidate and be competing for promotion the year after. More interesting than staying up in many ways.
    Think we need to approach it this way. Strengthen of course but with long term in mind. I read Warnock doesn't want to destroy the team morale with loads of signings and I think unless we have serious money to spend this is for the best. That team spirit and work rate will win us points, need to bring in a few more goals of course but think we will give every match a good go.

Just going to try to enjoy it, even when we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    ... Relegation next season doesn't bother me and the parachute payments should help the club consolidate and be competing for promotion the year after. More interesting than staying up in many ways.
    This is the way I feel too.
    The experience of 13/14 season we were quite naive and most bought into the idea that it was stay up at all costs.

In many ways, the Slade and Trollope years will have helped in this respect helping provide perspective.

There were many mistakes made that season and one would like to think that most we will have learnt from.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    This is the way I feel too.
    The experience of 13/14 season we were quite naive and most bought into the idea that it was stay up at all costs.

In many ways, the Slade and Trollope years will have helped in this respect helping provide perspective.

There were many mistakes made that season and one would like to think that most we will have learnt from.
    Yes.

Even if bottom at Christmas, even in March I hope we stick with the current management team, who without we wouldn't be in the PL anyway. If coming down into the championship I'd trust them far more to take us back up again than many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yes.

Even if bottom at Christmas, even in March I hope we stick with the current management team, who without we wouldn't be in the PL anyway. If coming down into the championship I'd trust them far more to take us back up again than many others.
    If we are bottom at Xmas Neil Warnock head will be on a stick outside the ground.
    There will be no patience if we are failing. None...This isn’t a personal view,it’s a fact.

Agreed, the amount of games we needed to win that we actually did was amazing. Players like Traore, Halford, Ward etc coming in and just slotting in, unbelievable. The Bristol city game at home especially I seem to remember a collective wtf when the team was announced but we got the job done in what was a dreadful game.

I do hope that Warnock lets the handbrake off a little bit in terms of attacking intent in winnable home games but agree that he should have the season regardless of how we do. If it's going particularly badly though, I think he's made it clear he'd walk away. We will have on average about 10k extra at every home game next season, I hope they don't get on the teams back when we go through long spells of not winning.

If/when we are struggling at the bottom, provided he still had the support of the fans, the owners see the bigger picture and back him, I think Warnock would stay.

It really does depend on how we are playing and whether he still has the dressing room with players willing to battle. Loanees will be key. There are plenty of mercenaries out there who I'm sure NW will steer clear of and it will be as much about attitude as talent.

The pressure the media put on struggling teams, particularly serial over-analysing Sky Sports, unfortunately has a huge bearing on matters but provided we are all realistic about what we are able to achieve, in the same way Burnley and Dyche were, basically saying feck 'em all, then we will be ok.

Manage our expectations and embrace the good with the bad.

It is, without doubt, absolutely, bl**dy brilliant !!!!!!!!!