+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Category 1 Academy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Category 1 Academy

I’d make national associations in charge of player development until 16. No clubs involved at all.

Then a USA draft type system of recruitment. 👍

The academy system has completely failed- doesn’t work for clubs and most importantly doesn’t work for the thousands of children who are treated so poorly by it year on year. Restricted from playing with mates, stopped from playing other sports etc.... and for what? For nothing really. Im convinced better, more creative anyway, players would be produced if the clubs were kept well away- get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I’d make national associations in charge of player development until 16. No clubs involved at all.

Then a USA draft type system of recruitment. ��
    I like that idea, but it would never happen here - the Premier League and it's clubs are too powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Then a USA draft type system of recruitment. ��

The academy system has completely failed- doesn’t work for clubs and most importantly doesn’t work for the thousands of children who are treated so poorly by it year on year. Restricted from playing with mates, stopped from playing other sports etc.... and for what? For nothing really. Im convinced better, more creative anyway, players would be produced if the clubs were kept well away- get rid of them.
    FAW in charge of player development. That's like wanting Harold Shipman as club doctor.

The draft system wouldn't work at all. North American sports can do it as there's a finite number of franchises, well established feeder systems into the pro leagues.

There's no problem with the clubs safeguarding players from school matches with mates. Club coaches say one thing, bitter PE teacher who failed at his dream of egg chasing undermining that coaching... risk of serious injury in games, in other sports... clubs are making investments in youths in the hopes they can achieve their potential. Cubs are obviously wanting the chance of reaching that potential maximised.