+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Len Nokes, club doctor (Awards Evening).

Len Nokes, club doctor (Awards Evening).

Sorry if this has been posted before ...

I've only just finished watching the club's awards evening on iFollow. Len Nokes (club doctor) was given an award for outstanding contribution to the club, having joined Cardiff City in 1981. When his name was announced it drew a really warm round of applause,cheers and whistles which lasted for quite some time. It was clear that he was held in very high esteem by everyone connected with the club.

Anyway, they invited ex-City player Stephen McPhail to present the award, who as most of you probably know, had to battle serious health issues whilst with us. McPhail was given a great reception, still fondly remembered of course.

As Stephen McPhail took to the stage, Len Nokes wrapped his arms around him tightly and kissed him on the cheek - like you would a long lost son, it was so completely spontaneous and genuine. Then the compere offered the microphone to McPhail and asked him to say a few words ... what followed next almost had me in tears (I don't mind to admit) ... McPhail's voice was trembling with emotion and he struggled to finish saying his heart-felt thanks for everything that Len Nokes had done for him (described him as a father-figure!) ... then a second big hug and kiss on the cheek followed from Len Nokes and McPhail held him equally as tight. Len's son and wife also embraced McPhail ... it was just wonderful to see, while I might question the modern game at times and its ethics this was just heart warming.

Len also said that the last year had been a difficult one personally (his wife & son nodded in agreement), he didn't go into detail about this, but he did finish by saying he loves Cardiff City and that if it hadn't been for the club he's not sure how he would have got through the difficulty.

Re: Len Nokes, club doctor (Awards Evening).

It was very moving - and showed a genuine afffection from all in the room, but especially Len Nokes and Macca.