+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam Johnstone

Sam Johnstone

We're interested apparently, along with Villa, who currently have him on loan.

Source: Alan Nixon on twitter.

Re: Sam Johnstone

I would have him here in a heartbeat.

Was the best keeper I saw last season, both when we played them and when I saw them on TV.

Young and very talented.

Would give us 2 excellent keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I would have him here in a heartbeat.

Was the best keeper I saw last season, both when we played them and when I saw them on TV.

Young and very talented.

Would give us 2 excellent keepers
    Who would be your number 1 then?

I’d rather a keeper with premiership experience and a bit older maybe. Seems to similar to Etheridge if you ask me.

He's the reason we didn't win at Villa Park and a big reason that a very average Villa side are even in the playoffs

I'd take him in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Who would be your number 1 then?
    Wouldn't be fair for me to say. They would both have all summer to prove to Warnock which one was best.

Fabianski and Japuvik ( boy from Leicester 😂) are both superb keepers, but neither would turn into a £20m keeper. There's a fair chance Johnstone or Etheridge could.

Fabianski be better option in my opinion. More experienced.

I wonder if the commercial considerations from etheridge would come into play.
    He'd be the only Philippines national player in a top league, and the premier league is the most popular league to watch over there.
    Football isn't a massive sport there, unlike other countries in the region, but it's a massive country and its popular enough to new us a bunch of overseas supporters surely?

Johnstone is a class keeper. However, I think a lot depends on Villa winning their Playoff game or not. If they win I think they will be in pole position to either loan or sign him especially with Bruce having such strong united connections and seemingly more financial clout than us. If they fail to get promoted It will be interesting if we would e looking to loan or sign him as I don't think he'll come that cheap.

Johnstone will be loaned to a club where he will be a guaranteed no.1.

We are looking for a back up keeper.

Cant see us being interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I’d rather a keeper with premiership experience and a bit older maybe. Seems to similar to Etheridge if you ask me.
    Two Etheridge's would suit me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

It won't be a loan.

However as mentioned above, if Villa win next week he'll probably go there

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I beg to differ. I think we are looking at all positions to see if improvements can be made. It all depends on money. If someone like Johnstone became available and the wages weren't a problem, I'm sure we'd sign him. No player is invincible if we're going to improve, just some positions arguably need strengthening less than others.

He’s out of contract at the end of this season with Man Utd I believe. So unless he signs a new deal there he won’t be going on loan next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    He’s out of contract at the end of this season with Man Utd I believe. So unless he signs a new deal there he won’t be going on loan next season.
    Man United have the option to extend it for another year. They'll trigger that and sell him this summer. He'll more than likely go to Villa if they go up but they won't be able to afford him or his wages if they stay down. If we can get someone of his ability for £5m then it's a no brainer, especially with Etheridge missing a month plus for the Asia cup.

I’d rather a more experienced keeper to come in tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wonder if the commercial considerations from etheridge would come into play.
    He'd be the only Philippines national player in a top league, and the premier league is the most popular league to watch over there.
    Football isn't a massive sport there, unlike other countries in the region, but it's a massive country and its popular enough to new us a bunch of overseas supporters surely?
    The type of support that will evaporate overnight.

Blue in the Face

I wonder if this rumour will materialise now that Villa failed to go up.

A loan for Snodgrass also seems like an obvious one.

Tim Krul is available on a free I believe. He would come with premiership experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I wonder if this rumour will materialise now that Villa failed to go up.

A loan for Snodgrass also seems like an obvious one.
    I think Villa would be nuts to loan him to us. If they want to go up he’s the sort of player they need to keep hold of. If it’s financial then they’d surely sell rather than loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I think Villa would be nuts to loan him to us. If they want to go up he’s the sort of player they need to keep hold of. If it’s financial then they’d surely sell rather than loan.
    Johnstone is a Manchester United player
    Snodgrass a London City player

Both on loan at Villa

I’d go for a more experienced keeper, Wayne Hennessey on a free?

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Johnstone is a Manchester United player
    Snodgrass a London City player

Both on loan at Villa
    I’d forgotten Villa had loaned him.

Why do we need another keeper ?. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the one we have. To replace Etheridge after the season he had would be a smack in the face to the whole squad and what they achieved. Assuming Camp goes, then all we need is a young back up from a Premier League team as cover.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why do we need another keeper ?. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the one we have. To replace Etheridge after the season he had would be a smack in the face to the whole squad and what they achieved. Assuming Camp goes, then all we need is a young back up from a Premier League team as cover.
    Etheridge is going to miss a month, at least, due to the Asia Cup. We absolutely have to sign another keeper.