+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Met FC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Met FC

I did not know this, that surely has to be a game changer having a guaranteed 8 games in the Europa League group stage if I understand that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangetownLurker View Post
    I did not know this, that surely has to be a game changer having a guaranteed 8 games in the Europa League group stage if I understand that correctly?
    Sorry it’s a guaranteed 4 games. 2 in champions league then 2 in europa when knocked out.

However, first opponents (in both) likely to be from a league similar if not worse than WPL, such as Latvia or Iceland, so very decent chance of at least 8 games. However most of those will be v very unattractive opposition. Unfortunately all the welsh clubs normally get knocked out before August v sides nobody has ever heard of.

Playing the games in pre season effectively probably doesn’t help so they always talk about summer football but never comes to anything.

TNS' tie in the 1st round of the Champions League is massive for them. If they can win that one, which is less likely than it is likely, they'll have a change of a big name in the 2nd round - they can draw one of 10 teams if they get there - the list of 10 teams includes Celtic, APOEL, Dinamo Zagreb.

They would no doubt lose in the 2nd round, taking them to the 3rd qualifying stage of the Europa. This is where it gets interesting for TNS as they would probably be drawn against a team of similar standard. Win that one and they're one tie away from the Groups!

Financially, TNS are going to do very well either way. Even if they fail to win a tie, they should be looking at £0.5m. You can then add £0.25m for each tie they do win.

Hopefully Merthyr will take note (although they'd have to improve quite a bit to compete with TNS).

Quote Originally Posted by Ger27 View Post
    TNS' tie in the 1st round of the Champions League is massive for them. If they can win that one, which is less likely than it is likely, they'll have a change of a big name in the 2nd round - they can draw one of 10 teams if they get there - the list of 10 teams includes Celtic, APOEL, Dinamo Zagreb.

They would no doubt lose in the 2nd round, taking them to the 3rd qualifying stage of the Europa. This is where it gets interesting for TNS as they would probably be drawn against a team of similar standard. Win that one and they're one tie away from the Groups!

Financially, TNS are going to do very well either way. Even if they fail to win a tie, they should be looking at £0.5m. You can then add £0.25m for each tie they do win.

Hopefully Merthyr will take note (although they'd have to improve quite a bit to compete with TNS).
    The last time TNS failed to progress past the CL first round is 2007, so I'd say its likely they'll progress to the second qualifying round, the days of getting absolutely hammered by no-hopers seems to be in the past. I'd say the new ruling gives TNS at least 6 European games a year

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The last time TNS failed to progress past the CL first round is 2007, so I'd say its likely they'll progress to the second qualifying round, the days of getting absolutely hammered by no-hopers seems to be in the past. I'd say the new ruling gives TNS at least 6 European games a year
    Things are different this year - they won't have the luxury of being able to play a team from San Marino, Gibraltar or Andorra as they'll go out in the preliminary group.

They'll almost certainly play one from the following countries: Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovakia, ROI, Georgia, Estonia, Montenegro, Lithuania, Armenia, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Faroes, Malta.

They're not going to be favourites against the first half of that list.