+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Abramovich experiences UK visa renewal 'delay'

Abramovich experiences UK visa renewal 'delay'

International

Re: Abramovich experiences UK visa renewal 'delay'

how sad! feck him!!!

He's encountered problems trying to reside in Jersey and Switzerland .

Lovely chap
    ""In a court case in 2008 Mr Abramovich admitted paying billions of dollars for political favours and protection to help him to obtain a share of the country’s mineral wealth."

If Tessy May's government are genuine about hitting Russian Oligarchs after the Salisbury incident, then Abe may find himself out in the cold (see what I did there?). If he can't get back into the UK, I wonder how long it will be before he starts trying to take his money back to Russia, or the government freeze his accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    If Tessy May's government are genuine about hitting Russian Oligarchs after the Salisbury incident, then Abe may find himself out in the cold (see what I did there?). If he can't get back into the UK, I wonder how long it will be before he starts trying to take his money back to Russia, or the government freeze his accounts.
    The money is no good to an oligarch in Russia. What does the guy who has everything buy? Billions of dollars can't do much there, other than sit waiting to be taken by someone else (as it had been taken by the oligarch to begin with).

So they need to get the money out and western governments actually have a lot of power over Russia with these sanctions. I wonder how much of this is down to the Magnitsky Act.

My guess is that Roman knows it's the beginning of the end of his golden era.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    My guess is that Roman knows it's the beginning of the end of his golden era.
    How have you reached this conclusion?

Like I said, their money is no good in Russia. The oligarchs need to spend it in the west. Firstly, if they can only spend in Russia then that severely limits what they can buy. And secondly, Putin has the power to nationalise, i.e. take control of, the companies when he likes, or even chuck the oligarch in jail (see Mikhail Khodorkovsky). So they need to turn their roubles into something else.

Once they have trouble getting into the west, it's a slippery slope. I'm not saying that Abramovich will be broke by the end of the year, or that he'll never get his UK visa renewed. But it's a sign that his best days are in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    How have you reached this conclusion?
    He,s attempted to reside elsewhere without much joy , he's looking over his shoulder, he has a close relationship with Putin ,and those associates are under pressure everywhere .

A biographer of Mr Putin described his relationship with Mr Abramovich as being similar to that of a father and favourite son. In 2016 the BBC’s Panorama programme reported that Mr Abramovich gave Mr Putin a £25 million yacht.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He,s attempted to reside elsewhere without much joy , he's looking over his shoulder, he has a close relationship with Putin ,and those associates are under pressure everywhere .

A biographer of Mr Putin described his relationship with Mr Abramovich as being similar to that of a father and favourite son. In 2016 the BBC’s Panorama programme reported that Mr Abramovich gave Mr Putin a £25 million yacht.

Not easy to find somewhere to park that one close to home on the Moskva river

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Be great if they freeze all there dodgy accounts. Such a corrupt country. Maybe Putin would stop messing about with the West.

The full Magnitsky Act got Royal Assent as a new law today. My guess is that Roman's visa was deliberately delayed for this and now it's going to get a lot harder for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The full Magnitsky Act got Royal Assent as a new law today. My guess is that Roman's visa was deliberately delayed for this and now it's going to get a lot harder for him.
    Think your right , it's blindgly obvious to stop Russian aggression you don't need to fire a weapon , thier biggest modern weapon is not nuclear , its there money embedded into western countries.

So lets cut off the snakes head , and lets see Chelski playing in the Vanarama league .