+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope the club get out to the Valleys in pre season

Re: Hope the club get out to the Valleys in pre season

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    The support from the Valleys has been superb for years , but we are still only scratching the surface.

There's twice as many people in the valleys as there is in Cardiff and most have a straight train journey into the City.

2-3 pre season friendlies in say Ponty/ Rhondda/ Caerphilly/ Merthyr/ Bridgend or Maesteg/Aberdare areas would go down a storm even if the sides were mainly fringe players with a few stars .

Do different areas in different seasons maybe

The fans up there deserve some recognition, but there's also massive potential support in these areas.
    Aside from fostering a bond with Merthyr there is, as you suggest, so much more that could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Hey Tim, as a Cardiff lad who has been exiled in Aberdare there last few years, let me tell you it is indeed a straight train journey into Cardiff but thanks to Ariva trains it's a bloody mare on match days!

I am lucky enough to get on at the end/beginning of the line in Aberdare. However, the lack of trains and carriages cause major issues especially on Sundays where they only run every 2 hours, the first departing at 10 am. The 3 carriage train that departed Aberdare for our last league game v Reading was a mare with the 10 am train being the only train able to get you to the game in time for kick off. It was rammed silly before it left by the time we reached Ponty it was like we were in Calcutta, doors opened to let people on, but fans were falling out onto the platform at the same time it was ridiculous.

With the potential of more of our games being switched to Sunday next season and our increased following this situation really needs looking into. More trains or more carriages at the very least are going to be required. The route has at least a dozen stops with all the satellite stations and by halfway it is crammed silly. Fans will no doubt miss kick off if the service isn't vastly improved in time for next season.
    I was on that train for the Reading game. It was only a 2 car unit. My closest station is Fernhill and I chose to get on the train on the way up and come back down, expecting ATW to not consider that it might be rammed. It was the right decision to make. My young son and I had seats. By the time it left Aberdare, I doubt there were 2 seats together.

Funnily enough, I got the 1541 back up from central and it was very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Liege'93 View Post
    I think you’ve completely missed the point.
    No I haven't, **** em. They were so desperate to follow a premier league team they can wallow, or knowing the type they'll just switch back anyway.

Seems to be popular in the Cynon Valley, Maesteg and up Merthyr way.

Stick to the Rhondda, at least they remain loyal.

Wrong continent!

Sounds like we'll be hitting Cornwall (obviously) and also America (possibly NYC). Was still very much still at planning stage a few weeks back so could fall through.

Be nice if they could hurry up and announce things to even give me half a chance of going though!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I was on that train for the Reading game. It was only a 2 car unit. My closest station is Fernhill and I chose to get on the train on the way up and come back down, expecting ATW to not consider that it might be rammed. It was the right decision to make. My young son and I had seats. By the time it left Aberdare, I doubt there were 2 seats together.

Funnily enough, I got the 1541 back up from central and it was very quiet.
    Likewise, my stop is Cwmbach, but I guessed it would be manic so opted to catch it from Aberdare. It was crazy, had to laugh when the conductor attempted to do his job, he took one look, laughed, and promptly disappeared!

I returned on the last train which btw at 19.40 is a joke, and that was packed and eventful! I am all for these no car initiatives in city centres, however, it does put you off opting for public transport when the service and conditions are so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    agree would be good to play the likes of cambrian , taffs well and even pontypridd town who have recently been promoted to welsh league division 1 maybe not full strength sides but strong sides
    Won't have far to go to play Ponty Town - We've moved to Leckwith!

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Likewise, my stop is Cwmbach, but I guessed it would be manic so opted to catch it from Aberdare. It was crazy, had to laugh when the conductor attempted to do his job, he took one look, laughed, and promptly disappeared!

I returned on the last train which btw at 19.40 is a joke, and that was packed and eventful! I am all for these no car initiatives in city centres, however, it does put you off opting for public transport when the service and conditions are so poor.
    Sunday services are set to improve, with an earlier service to Cardiff and hourly down in the morning. Still nowt back after that 1941 as you say, though. It's a pity there isn't a later train in the week, as well. 2241 hardly leaves much time if you're in town for an event.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Won't have far to go to play Ponty Town - We've moved to Leckwith!
    wow can#t see too may locals coming down to cardiff to watch ponty next season . is that to do with your ground not up to scratch or most of the players from the cardiff area anyway or just more cost effective tho i don't think that would be the case ?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Might as well do a mini tour of the Valleys every pre season, strengthens the bond between the club and surrounding areas
    Totally agree, even if it's the young'uns.

I'd also like to see them playing teams west of Bridgend; two or three games at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    wow can#t see too may locals coming down to cardiff to watch ponty next season . is that to do with your ground not up to scratch or most of the players from the cardiff area anyway or just more cost effective tho i don't think that would be the case ?
    They need Tier 2 level ground to get promotion, University Fields Treforest not up to standard (Ponty Park nowhere near standard) so moving to Leckwith whilst Treforest is done up

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    They need Tier 2 level ground to get promotion, University Fields Treforest not up to standard (Ponty Park nowhere near standard) so moving to Leckwith whilst Treforest is done up
    Are you living in egger heartland? I am up here in Cymmer (Neath-Port Talbot) there are a fair load of Bluebirds though.