+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Great article on mental health and football and how it’s difficult for men with depression

Great article on mental health and football and how it’s difficult for men with depression

http://www.football365.com/news/men-...lth-depression

Well worth a read. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45, always better to talk to someone than bottle it up.

Re: Great article on mental health and football and how it’s difficult for men with depression

Good article.

Perhaps one day when we hear news of depression affecting a player, there won't be a string of "I wouldn't be depressed on X-K a week" comments.

Re: Great article on mental health and football and how it’s difficult for men with depression

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Good article.

Perhaps one day when we hear news of depression affecting a player, there won't be a string of "I wouldn't be depressed on X-K a week" comments.
    Exactly depression can affect anyone. The whole having to be a manly man stops so many people talking about it and then it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Good article.

Great interview on talksport yesterday (I know that is not a normal sentence normally) with a secret footballer with colin Murray - still on podcast i believe - worth a listen

Will give that a go, there are actually one or two decent shows on talksport. Just a load of dross as well.

Thought Colin murray had quit once it was owned by news international though.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Will give that a go, there are actually one or two decent shows on talksport. Just a load of dross as well.

Thought Colin murray had quit once it was owned by news international though.
    Sure it was him but I maybe wrong - won't be the first or llasttine!! caught it as I was driving to North Wales?

Horrible illness , excellent article

Brilliant article, I myself am
    Going through a rut at the moment wondering what the **** I’m going to do job wise for the rest of my life. Sadly as my credit rating is shite it disqualifies me from a lot off jobs I’m qualified for.

The bit about being confident and such forth has really struck home. Typically I was going to share it on Facebook but fearful my friends and family may think somethings up.

Macho pride eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Going through a rut at the moment wondering what the **** I’m going to do job wise for the rest of my life. Sadly as my credit rating is shite it disqualifies me from a lot off jobs I’m qualified for.

The bit about being confident and such forth has really struck home. Typically I was going to share it on Facebook but fearful my friends and family may think somethings up.

Macho pride eh?
    You seen your doctor ?

Medication ?

Keeping away from the booze ?

Calm 0800585858

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You seen your doctor ?

Medication ?

Keeping away from the booze ?

Calm 0800585858
    Thanks Sludge, agree with you about the booze, I’ve cut down a lot this year but had a bottle of wine Friday night and felt like shit the next day. So I’m off it until I’m a bit more cheery.

I had one bad experience with anti depressants so not going back down that road ,
    But I am a bit concerned over some health Wise so going to doctors about that. Started exercising more regularly as I’d been a bit sloppy for a
    Few weeks and rejoined my old gym which is a bit costly but I love it tree and I’d Father spend it on that then boozing.

I owe a mate some money, he’s been good as Gold about it but I feel a massive **** as I haven’t paid him back yet and it’s playing on my mind and I’m not doing as well on the business I’m involved in which could pay him as I’m anxious (vicious circle)

I’ll be fine, nice 8 week period of no booze and jogging, lose some weight and I will be cool.

Thanks for asking sludge 👍👍

Thanks Sludge, agree with you about the booze, I’ve cut down a lot this year but had a bottle of wine Friday night and felt like shit the next day. So I’m off it until I’m a bit more cheery.

I had one bad experience with anti depressants so not going back down that road ,
    But I am a bit concerned over some health Wise so going to doctors about that. Started exercising more regularly as I’d been a bit sloppy for a
    Few weeks and rejoined my old gym which is a bit costly but I love it tree and I’d Father spend it on that then boozing.

I owe a mate some money, he’s been good as Gold about it but I feel a massive **** as I haven’t paid him back yet and it’s playing on my mind and I’m not doing as well on the business I’m involved in which could pay him as I’m anxious (vicious circle)

I’ll be fine, nice 8 week period of no booze and jogging, lose some weight and I will be cool.

Thanks for asking sludge 👍👍
    There are loads of different types of anti depressants you can try , same as chemo drugs for cancer

There’s definitely something to be said about toxic masculinity, we are afraid to speak up for fear of ridicule.

CardifdIrish keep the chin up fella something will come up I’m sure. Exercise and not too much boozing can definitely help too.

There’s a few good meditation and clear mind podcasts that are supposed to be great. A friend who was going through a tough time said they were excellent.

Macho pride eh?
    What job are you looking for? If you don’t mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What job are you looking for? If you don’t mind me asking?
    Ha that’s the problem Crosey Blue I don’t know!
    I have thought of retraining as a teacher, I’m awaiting form to be processed by UCAS. I think I may need a bit more experience but no bother I will try again next year with more experience.

In regards to what I’m doing at the moment it’s utility sales. I can do it but I guess I’ve got a Form of writers block I’d say at moment and too anxious to chose up appts.

I’ remember three years ago I slipped into
    It and I had a bad time but I can see the warning signs this time and tomorrow I’ve got a fe appts with other job, gym and determined to do some self development reading.

As I say I’ve seen the warning signs (moping around, eating shit food, watching shit tv) and I’m determined not to go down that road

But thanks for asking 👍👍

Do they still pay your student load back if you become a teacher? Might be worth looking at a part time course and the cost if it would be reimbursed.

Ha that’s the problem Crosey Blue I don’t know!
    I have thought of retraining as a teacher, I’m awaiting form to be processed by UCAS. I think I may need a bit more experience but no bother I will try again next year with more experience.

In regards to what I’m doing at the moment it’s utility sales. I can do it but I guess I’ve got a Form of writers block I’d say at moment and too anxious to chose up appts.

I’ remember three years ago I slipped into
    It and I had a bad time but I can see the warning signs this time and tomorrow I’ve got a fe appts with other job, gym and determined to do some self development reading.

As I say I’ve seen the warning signs (moping around, eating shit food, watching shit tv) and I’m determined not to go down that road

But thanks for asking 👍👍
    My daughter had a real confidence problem with sport which she was playing to quite a high level to the point where she felt paralysed by the fear of what could go wrong

We put in all sorts of non medical support for her and one thing she always refers to is a book called the chimp paradox by Steve Peters. Maybe worth a look?

Hope you feel in a better place soon