+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: a long shot, but someone might know, a 2 day walking route with a campsite in middle

a long shot, but someone might know, a 2 day walking route with a campsite in middle

My oldest has just come back from her DofE practice walk, its a 2 day walk with a night at a campsite
    it was fairly local, but hardly inspiring ( imho ) her actual assessed walk is in a few weeks

Anyways, youngest loved the idea, so i said, well we have 1/2 the kit now, the rucksack, cooking kit etc etc ( we have the sleeping bags as we have a caravan ) so would only need a small lightweight tent and another sleeping mat
    So foolishly, i said " we could do something similar ", my idea was just walk across Salisbury plains, stop when we had enough and put the tent up ( this isnt acceptable by all accounts, we need a campsite )

Anyone know of any message boards / sites for this type of thing, i have found a few walks in cornwall ( but if i am going to drive that far, i might aswell surf ) local to me around bath would be great, as the mrs can drop us off and come and collect us at the end

Re: a long shot, but someone might know, a 2 day walking route with a campsite in middle

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/cotswold-way/plan

Click on the camping drop down underneath the map

Ideal

Re: a long shot, but someone might know, a 2 day walking route with a campsite in middle

I have planned and led a number of circular walks in Somerset and Devon during the last year, most of which take in the coast. Each one is around 8 miles and returns you to where you started. If you need to walk for a longer distance than that you could do two in a day quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/cotswold-way/plan

Click on the camping drop down underneath the map

Ideal
    cheers, looks just what i am after

I like the look of the Cornish ones, but as i said, if i am going to drive that far, might aswell take the boards and get them wet

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have planned and led a number of circular walks in Somerset and Devon during the last year, most of which take in the coast. Each one is around 8 miles and returns you to where you started. If you need to walk for a longer distance than that you could do two in a day quite easily.
    the walk i have " semi-planned " is on the " east Mendip way ", i have picked one that is a 8 mile walk ( which is long enough for my 10yr old daughter ) and then a 3 mile walk the next day after camping, its not massive, but its long enough

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway

Easy walking for young legs

I did Hadrian’s Wall with my son when he turned 18. Father and son road trip.
    5 days from Newcastle to Solway.
    Great opportunity to bond and refind one another and discuss all manner of bollox as you go along
    For example If the circumference of the earth is 40,000 k (25,800 miles in old money) and you could stretch a theoretical rope around so that 40,000 k was its overall length how much more rope would you need if you raised it so that it was 1 meter above the earths surface all the way round
    We argued about this for hours
    Just reminiscing

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway

Easy walking for young legs

I did Hadrian’s Wall with my son when he turned 18. Father and son road trip.
    5 days from Newcastle to Solway.
    Great opportunity to bond and refind one another and discuss all manner of bollox as you go along
    For example If the circumference of the earth is 40,000 k (25,800 miles in old money) and you could stretch a theoretical rope around so that 40,000 k was its overall length how much more rope would you need if you raised it so that it was 1 meter above the earths surface all the way round
    We argued about this for hours

Just reminiscing Thank you for your forbearance

Day 6/7 Brecon Beacons Way

Start at Craig y Nos Castle in Upper Swansea valley and walk to Llanddeusant YHA (you can camp in hostel grounds) Llanddeusant to Carreg Cennen Castle. 1st day is about 10 miles and second day is 14 miles.

The Western Beacons are remote, challenging, and beautiful hill and moorland. You can use public transport to get to start and finish points.

http://www.breconbeacons.org/beacons-way

I have done the eight day treck from Skirrid Fawr to Bethlehem and its a classic....

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    My oldest has just come back from her DofE practice walk, its a 2 day walk with a night at a campsite
    it was fairly local, but hardly inspiring ( imho ) her actual assessed walk is in a few weeks

Anyways, youngest loved the idea, so i said, well we have 1/2 the kit now, the rucksack, cooking kit etc etc ( we have the sleeping bags as we have a caravan ) so would only need a small lightweight tent and another sleeping mat
    So foolishly, i said " we could do something similar ", my idea was just walk across Salisbury plains, stop when we had enough and put the tent up ( this isnt acceptable by all accounts, we need a campsite )

Anyone know of any message boards / sites for this type of thing, i have found a few walks in cornwall ( but if i am going to drive that far, i might aswell surf ) local to me around bath would be great, as the mrs can drop us off and come and collect us at the end
    The Gower is perfect. Start at the mumbles follow the coastal path round to say Langenith , camp and surf there. Finish off walking round to Gowerton or cross the mainland back to the Mumbles .