+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football 365's Summer Transfer Guide - Cardiff

Football 365's Summer Transfer Guide - Cardiff

http://www.football365.com/news/f365...palace-everton

Cardiff City

What do they need?
    Plenty, to be brutally honest. You cannot fault Neil Warnock’s over-achievement in getting Cardiff promoted, but the squad will need serious surgery if they are to survive next season. Warnock will hope to play the Stoke City ‘they don’t like it up ‘em’ style that served Cardiff very well in the Championship, but aside from the two central defenders, Kenneth Zohore and Junior Hoilett, could you be truly confident about any of them making the step up? A new back-up striker is a must – sorry, Gary Madine – but both full-back positions and central midfield could also do with improving, particularly if Craig Bryson’s loan move isn’t made permanent. I’m trying not to p*ss on everyone’s chips, here.

What will they get?
    During their 2013/14 season in the Premier League, Cardiff signed 14 players of 11 different nationalities from six different leagues, so this could be interesting. Having Warnock in charge should mean that such a scattergun approach might be toned down a touch, but Warnock will push for significant investment accompanied by loan players from top-six clubs. My random generator of names throws out Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Rob Holding and Harry Wilson.

What’s been said?
    “I’ve already got transfer targets that I have got to try and get permission from the board to try and sign. Vincent and the owners know I don’t spend silly money, they are aware of that, but at the same time we do need five or six players to add to the squad to give us a chance really. I’ve got a great group of lads and I think most of them can play in the Premier League. And we need players to supplement that; we won’t be signing any big name, big-time Charlies who will disrupt our spirit” – Neil Warnock, May 7.
    Is that a bit harsh do we think, whilst I agree we need a lot I think Etheridge and Ralls could step up too and an argument could be made for Bennett too.

Re: Football 365's Summer Transfer Guide - Cardiff

Usual patronising stuff we got for most of the season in the Championship - if the pre Christmas City turn up, I'd say we've got a good chance with a few shrewd signings, if it's the post Christmas side, they might have a point.

Considering his comments about Bryson and significant investment, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. He's probably rarely watched us so I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Etheridge, Bennett and Ralls will be fine in the Prem. Bennett's improved defensively and he's quick and good enough on the ball.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Everybody expects us to struggle

None of the pundits expect anything other than for us to go straight back down

Warnocks ‘under the radar’ approach appears perfect .... atm

Im looking forward to at least a couple of left field, unanticipated signings but let’s hope he leaves the decision about the new striker to those with more understanding/ insights than he, NW, has displayed previously

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Usual patronising stuff we got for most of the season in the Championship - if the pre Christmas City turn up, I'd say we've got a good chance with a few shrewd signings, if it's the post Christmas side, they might have a point.
    Agreed.

There's also morale to consider. We managed to drag ourselves over the promotion line without playing all that much football, but through grit, desire, heart and a will to get the job done. If we struggle in the Premier League, that morale and desire will take a beating and there won't be much left.

I'm leaning towards that short article as having a ring of truth about it. I think we need more footballers in the squad, we can't be as abysmal with possession in the top flight or we'll come straight back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed.

There's also morale to consider. We managed to drag ourselves over the promotion line without playing all that much football, but through grit, desire, heart and a will to get the job done. If we struggle in the Premier League, that morale and desire will take a beating and there won't be much left.

I'm leaning towards that short article as having a ring of truth about it. I think we need more footballers in the squad, we can't be as abysmal with possession in the top flight or we'll come straight back down.
    Morale will be OK unless we start getting hammered. We'll expect to lose half the time, so unless we stop getting the rub of the green and losing to your Huddersfields, Palaces and the like, we should be OK in that regard. It's going to be really hard but if Brighton (who didn't, and still don't play good football, Huddersfield and Newcastle can all stay up with their squads, there's no reason why we can't. We need someone to play opposite Hoilett with real quality though.

Everyone expects us to struggle, because lets be honest we will.

If we finish 17th next year it will be on a par with promotion this season for me.
    Flipping this though, Huddersfield went up with a team we beat home and away that season and with a few decent acquisitions stayed up. If they can do it, then there's no reason we cant either.

Of the 3 teams promoted, our brand of football is the least suited to the Premier League. It works great in the Championship though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Of the 3 teams promoted, our brand of football is the least suited to the Premier League. It works great in the Championship though.
    Hang on, there's only two sides gone up so far - think Villa play a pretty basic type of game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hang on, there's only two sides gone up so far - think Villa play a pretty basic type of game as well.
    Villa or Fulham will adapt to the Premier League style of football and bring in new players to do that, but it looks like we are going to stick with the same style that brought us success in the Championship.

Villa or Fulham will adapt to the Premier League style of football and bring in new players to do that, but it looks like we are going to stick with the same style that brought us success in the Championship.
    That's a hell of a leap to say that Villa will adapt. Bruce hardly has a sterling record in the Prem either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That's a hell of a leap to say that Villa will adapt. Bruce hardly has a sterling record in the Prem either.
    You have to admit the Warnock Way is not everybody's way, it's quite unique

There is some utter shite in the bottom half of the Premier League, if we play like we did in August I'd fancy us against the majority of the sides in the Premier League

We'll be fine

You have to admit the Warnock Way is not everybody's way, it's quite unique
    I didn't mention Warnock, I mentioned Bruce. His football has been garbage this season and there's no divine right they've got to stay up or that they'll adapt.

I didn't mention Warnock, I mentioned Bruce. His football has been garbage this season and there's no divine right they've got to stay up or that they'll adapt.
    I would say the Championship is his level. He is a good Championship manager. If they are smart they will get rid of him should they get promoted, and find a Premier League quality manager. That's what a smart club would do, if they want to take it to the next level.

I would say the Championship is his level. He is a good Championship manager. If they are smart they will get rid of him should they get promoted, and find a Premier League quality manager. That's what a smart club would do, if they want to take it to the next level.
    That's a bit different to what you said above. They won't sack Bruce if he gets them up either.

That's a bit different to what you said above. They won't sack Bruce if he gets them up either.
    Yes the club owners will, regardless of who the manager is. That will be the directive they will issue, to play a certain brand of football, and a minimum final position that must be attained.

I've got to say I think he's spot on. Bar the above mentioned in the article I can't see any of them being of premier league quality. Will be a tough old season and without sounding too gloom and doom, do you blame anyone for suggesting we be favourites for relegation?

Considering his comments about Bryson and significant investment, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. He's probably rarely watched us so I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Etheridge, Bennett and Ralls will be fine in the Prem. Bennett's improved defensively and he's quick and good enough on the ball.
    Apart from the Bryson comment I think he's spot on.

Sounds reasonable to me.