+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit claims Monsanto hid cancer danger of weedkiller for decades

Lawsuit claims Monsanto hid cancer danger of weedkiller for decades

"At the age of 46, DeWayne Johnson is not ready to die. But with cancer spread through most of his body, doctors say he probably has just months to live. Now Johnson, a husband and father of three in California, hopes to survive long enough to make Monsanto take the blame for his fate.

On 18 June, Johnson will become the first person to take the global seed and chemical company to trial on allegations that it has spent decades hiding the cancer-causing dangers of its popular Roundup herbicide products"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ewayne-johnson

Re: Lawsuit claims Monsanto hid cancer danger of weedkiller for decades

Do people still use this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Do people still use this stuff?
    Yes, I use it and see little evidence to make me think about not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    This piece caught my eye "Monsanto has long been aware of the risk that its glyphosate-based herbicides are carcinogenic … but has continuously sought to influence the scientific literature to prevent its internal concerns from reaching the public sphere and to bolster its defenses in products liability actions”. So in theory it is doubtful you have seen any evidence if they have covered it up.

This piece caught my eye "Monsanto has long been aware of the risk that its glyphosate-based herbicides are carcinogenic … but has continuously sought to influence the scientific literature to prevent its internal concerns from reaching the public sphere and to bolster its defenses in products liability actions”. So in theory it is doubtful you have seen any evidence if they have covered it up.
    Who wrote that piece? Oh yes, the legal firm aiming to sue them.

What do you need, a tumour?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    What do you need, a tumour?
    Are you going to give me one?

Lots of chemicals are known to be carcinogenic, some of them have to be ingested in large quantities to have any statistical effect though. Anyone drinking the odd gallon of weedkiller is very unlikely to die of cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lots of chemicals are known to be carcinogenic, some of them have to be ingested in large quantities to have any statistical effect though. Anyone drinking the odd gallon of weedkiller is very unlikely to die of cancer.
    But they would have a well-kept grave.

Probably less harmful than Fosters

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But they would have a well-kept grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Probably less harmful than Fosters
    No wonder the weeds by my back door are all dead!

Blog Entries

Like I've always said, Monsanto are evil scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Like I've always said, Monsanto are evil scumbags.
    Why do people hate Monsanto so much, of all the companies out there they seem to attract a special level of hatred from certain groups

Blog Entries

Why do people hate Monsanto so much, of all the companies out there they seem to attract a special level of hatred from certain groups
    Certain groups? what groups would they be then?

This might give you more of an idea as to why people hate them, just the word 'aspartame' does it for me.

Timeline of Monsanto's Dark History
    http://bestmeal.info/monsanto/compan...shtml#timeline

Certain groups? what groups would they be then?

This might give you more of an idea as to why people hate them, just the word 'aspartame' does it for me.

Timeline of Monsanto's Dark History
    http://bestmeal.info/monsanto/compan...shtml#timeline

A biased link there, not unusual!

Tell me more about your problems with aspartame. Backed up with peer reviewed studies if possible.

Blog Entries

A biased link there, not unusual!

Tell me more about your problems with aspartame. Backed up with peer reviewed studies if possible.
    I don't need peer reviewed studies to tell me that it burns my mouth and makes me feel ill do I? I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to hate that crap, if you like it then you carry on but don't try to bully me in to your way of thinking like you always do because I don't want to know, I will do what I like and think what I like, if people don't like that then.. tough luck.

I don't need peer reviewed studies to tell me that it burns my mouth and makes me feel ill do I? I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to hate that crap, if you like it then you carry on but don't try to bully me in to your way of thinking like you always do because I don't want to know, I will do what I like and think what I like, if people don't like that then.. tough luck.
    You tell 'em Mrs

That's not exactly what I was saying though is it? So, you have an allergy to aspartame - that doesn't make it dangerous.

How am I trying to bully you? I'm just interested in why you have a problem with aspartame and Monsanto. If you hadn't left it so open ended in your previous post , I wouldn't have needed to ask (if as you interpret a challenging question replace "ask" with "bully").

Since it is based on nothing other than anecdotal evidence (which I am not going to dispute) and is personal to you then I can cross you out of the debate because the OP is about a lawsuit that is based on zero science and 100% opportunism and that's the issue I am interested in.

This document (it is a pdf) was published in January 2017 and beginning at page 30 it examines the harm that rogue corporations such as Monsanto and chemicals like glyphosate are doing to Wales.

http://rinf.com/alt-news/wp-content/...n-the-dark.pdf

Blog Entries

You tell 'em Mrs

That's not exactly what I was saying though is it? So, you have an allergy to aspartame - that doesn't make it dangerous.

How am I trying to bully you? I'm just interested in why you have a problem with aspartame and Monsanto. If you hadn't left it so open ended in your previous post , I wouldn't have needed to ask (if as you interpret a challenging question replace "ask" with "bully").

Since it is based on nothing other than anecdotal evidence (which I am not going to dispute) and is personal to you then I can cross you out of the debate because the OP is about a lawsuit that is based on zero science and 100% opportunism and that's the issue I am interested in.
    You always do it, you were the same with coconut oil, pick pick pick always telling me how wrong I am pushing your mainstream views down my throat, saying my arteries are going to be clogged up when I already provided you with links showing that it was not the case yet here I am a year later 7 stones lighter and feeling healthier than ever so I will stick with my own advice if you don't mind

I do not have an allergy to aspartame, there you go again putting words in to people's mouths

Here's another one of my biased links
    https://draxe.com/aspartame/

I find the bit about it causing serotonin levels to decrease particularly worrying considering there is so much depression and anxiety about, depression is on the rise and this crap is added to everything, it does not take a genius to work out that it might not be a good thing.

It does not help you lose weight either, I lost all my weight while drinking full sugar juice, I still hunt high and low in shops for old stock that has not got this garbage added to it, I bought a bottle of water yesterday and even that had artificial sweeteners in it ffs
    http://time.com/4859012/artificial-s...s-weight-loss/

I cba to go in to any other reasons because I've not long got in and I want my dinner but I've read enough to know that I want to avoid it like the plague.

Oh btw, for their next trick Monsanto will take over the cannabis industry
    https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mon...-of-marijuana/

provided a lot of work to folk in Newport for years think they were instrumental in changing everyone's life by manufacturers of Phenols, Cresylic Acids, Pure Cresols, Phthalic Anhydride, Plasticizers, Coumarone Resin, Disinfectants, Germicides, Antiseptics, Saccharin, Preservatives, Flavourings, Rubber chemicals, Dye-Stuff Intermediates, Salicylates and many other Pharmaceuticals .

Quite a list.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    provided a lot of work to folk in Newport for years think they were instrumental in changing everyone's life by manufacturers of Phenols, Cresylic Acids, Pure Cresols, Phthalic Anhydride, Plasticizers, Coumarone Resin, Disinfectants, Germicides, Antiseptics, Saccharin, Preservatives, Flavourings, Rubber chemicals, Dye-Stuff Intermediates, Salicylates and many other Pharmaceuticals .
    That's easy for you to say...

You always do it, you were the same with coconut oil, pick pick pick always telling me how wrong I am pushing your mainstream views down my throat
    Mainstream views? I look at the science Mrs R, then form an opinion based on reports from people who know, and not people thinking the governments are out to kill them.

I do not have an allergy to aspartame, there you go again putting words in to people's mouths
    OK, so you have some sort of reaction to it. Your post read "just the word aspartame does it for me". That was pretty vague, so I asked for a bit more information - oddly you've seen it as something to get all ranty and angry about instead of being civil. A terrible shame.

Here's another one of my biased links
    https://draxe.com/aspartame/[
    Ahhh, so there's more to it than just a burning sensation when you've taken it. Of course aspartame is associated with potential health risks. The fact is, though, that you would need to be taking in huge amounts to get to those risks. I would point you to the science, but hey, it could be classed as "mainstream" and everything "mainstream" is just fooling people right.

I find the bit about it causing serotonin levels to decrease particularly worrying considering there is so much depression and anxiety about, depression is on the rise and this crap is added to everything, it does not take a genius to work out that it might not be a good thing.
    I agree, it is worrying. However, you would need to be drinking the equivalent of 19 cans of diet coke every day before you reached the levels classed as "excessive" by various health organisations. Again, I doubt you are interested in the actual science.

It does not help you lose weight either, I lost all my weight while drinking full sugar juice, I still hunt high and low in shops for old stock that has not got this garbage added to it, I bought a bottle of water yesterday and even that had artificial sweeteners in it ffs
    On this, I tend to agree. My basic understanding is that the body still produces insulin and that may cause cravings for sugary foods. However, I don't think this has been researched enough so I remain open minded (as I am with all things except Tan) because if I see evidence that can change my mind, then that evidence will change my mind. I get the feeling I could provide you with evidence that Monsanto is not as evil as some say, and that aspartame only causes issues when used excessively (like red meats, the sun and all things) - but your mind is already made up.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Quite a list.
    Providing jobs is poor compensation for poisoning people. The Nazis provided millions of jobs. Stuttgart, Wolfsburg and Munich are, to this day, reaping the rewards of Hitler’s industrial strategy.