+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations as how to invest £20,000 required

Re: Recommendations as how to invest £20,000 required

Put in a safe share that pays a good yield, I can’t advise you which one, do your research

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when my fixed rate ended 9 years ago, plenty of the " expert sites, inc Martin lewis " was singing the praises of fixing again as interest rates were going to go up ( admittedly not to the previous highs, but they were still talking of increases ) i took the chance didnt fix a bold move according to the experts, it paid off though, stayed low and saved me money
    Over the same period I have was advised to take out a tracker - until 2 years ago when I was told to go fixed.

In some ways, it probably makes sense togo fixed - the rates couldn't get any lower. Only problem being the mortgage fee.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when my fixed rate ended 9 years ago, plenty of the " expert sites, inc Martin lewis " was singing the praises of fixing again as interest rates were going to go up ( admittedly not to the previous highs, but they were still talking of increases ) i took the chance didnt fix a bold move according to the experts, it paid off though, stayed low and saved me money
    I was getting my mortgage 7 years ago and the advice on MSE was that the only way interest rates could go was up as they couldn't get any lower- the base rate was something like 0.25%. However, fixed rates were about 1-1.5% higher than trackers so the question was, would interest rates go up higher than that in the 2/5 year period before you could renegotiate.

Advice on there was consistent around this time that the base rate probably wouldn't. A tracker was definitely not considered a bold move, it was the advised one with the caveat that you have enough wriggle room should rates change.

I also followed the advice to get a tracker, despite my bank trying to force a fixed on me. If it hadn't been for MSE I would have not understood it enough to go with a tracker, I was a first time buyer who knew nothing about mortgages, so we have very different recollections. Martin Lewis was absolutely not singing the praises of fixed rate.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I was getting my mortgage 7 years ago and the advice on MSE was that the only way interest rates could go was up as they couldn't get any lower- the base rate was something like 0.25%. However, fixed rates were about 1-1.5% higher than trackers so the question was, would interest rates go up higher than that in the 2/5 year period before you could renegotiate.

Advice on there was consistent around this time that the base rate probably wouldn't. A tracker was definitely not considered a bold move, it was the advised one with the caveat that you have enough wriggle room should rates change.

I also followed the advice to get a tracker, despite my bank trying to force a fixed on me. If it hadn't been for MSE I would have not understood it enough to go with a tracker, I was a first time buyer who knew nothing about mortgages, so we have very different recollections. Martin Lewis was absolutely not singing the praises of fixed rate.
    I bought two years before you, just after the financial crisis and hardly anyone was recommending fixed at that time. I went against the advice because I didn't have much wriggle room (also had a kid on the way, just got married, and decided on a 20 yr mortgage instead of 25 yrs) - but went to the tracker 2 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Wealth denominated in bits of inked paper (and their digital equivalent) isn't safe, the exact opposite is true.

Deutsche Bank was described by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in 2016 as the world's most dangerous bank whose bankruptcy had the potential to bring down the world's financial system. Here's a BBC article from then: Deutsche Bank: World's most dangerous bank? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36723034

Today its share price lost almost 5% and is lower now than when the above article was published. Actually, its price is 40% lower this minute than what it fell to during the height of the global financial crisis in 2008-2009. You can check its performance here: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/DBK.DE/
    One week later, Deutsche Bank's share price has declined from 10.38 then to 9.14 at present... that's a 14% decline in seven days.