+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations as how to invest £20,000 required

Re: Recommendations as how to invest £20,000 required

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Maybe best to go for a FTSE 250 tracker that spreads risk across companies and wrap it in an ISA to avoid tax.

A possible starting point:

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares

Isn’t it risky to put cash in to stocks and shares at the moment? Only say this as the ft is higher than ever, and at some point it’s going to plummet back to 4500 thus half ing any invested amount. I also have cash to invest at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m looking at doing the same for a short term strategy

I was hoping to renovate houses but it seems that houses are startling to get peaky again
    I’ve been doing this for 20 years, the stamp duty and general house prices in Cardiff are making it difficult. As us the fact not many people seem to be selling up currently, prob due the high cost of all the fees involved. In saying that a mate of mine is snapping up houses cheap in treforrest and renting to students. Less than 100 grand and £1500 a month coming in. Even these are now in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ve been doing this for 20 years, the stamp duty and general house prices in Cardiff are making it difficult. As us the fact not many people seem to be selling up currently, prob due the high cost of all the fees involved. In saying that a mate of mine is snapping up houses cheap in treforrest and renting to students. Less than 100 grand and £1500 a month coming in. Even these are now in short supply.
    always been a nice little earner, i am looking at a house in bristol on Saturday that we are thinking of student rental, needs a fair bit of work, and would be doable by Sept if i wasnt away for Aug, so i will miss the window for this year

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    united bank UK for 5 years at 2.65% its not massive, but has fscs protection so its safe

I know its a little dull, but its safe
    What’s the maximum allowed? Beats the 1% I have with nat West currently

Isn’t it risky to put cash in to stocks and shares at the moment? Only say this as the ft is higher than ever, and at some point it’s going to plummet back to 4500 thus half ing any invested amount. I also have cash to invest at the moment.
    It's a good time to cash in on FTSE 100 tracker. As for FTSE 250 there may be some more value in it yet. Trickling in (spare) cash over years within an ISA, plus investing in Premium Bonds/cash ISA/riskier P2P loans may help spread the financial risk. If I could read the future I would have put a lump on City getting promoted, 18 months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Annuities are a minefield and worth reading up on. Typically you hand over £100k and you get an income of 3k ish. But, all sorts of factors come into play such as whether you smoke, whether you want a fixed income, income with an annual increase, joint income, fixed income period and so on. Plus you get taxed on that income so take off 20/40% as any pension/other income will be taken into account for tax purposes. If you can build up savings via ISAs etc then income drawdown might be a suitable option, taking out the sum equivalent to whatever the prevailing tax threshold is, not working and enjoying life until a company and/or state pension kick in (and downsize to avoid inheritance tax). A quick bit of Maths shows you have to live quite a while to benefit fully from an annuity, too.
    I have looked into annuities and input the relevant factors in order to have some projections and your figures are consistent with the projected (unofficial) results. I will look into an ISA and would prefer working part-time and increasing my savings rather that denude them at this time (since this time last year my salary halved but my occ pen topped me back up to where I was income-wise). However, the amounts are relatively modest so I would prefer working part-time for another couple of years and add to my savings rather than denude them by drawing down.

I hope that the responses are helping other people as I don't usually air my laundry like this

Feedback

Invest in CFDs, the easiest way to make money off the back of others, if you know what the markets looking for

What’s the maximum allowed? Beats the 1% I have with nat West currently
    think it was 1 mill

Don't worry about the poor interest rates just keep it safe in simple ISA's, long term savings accounts with half decent rates , dont risk it ,property is probably a good bet and earn from the rent .

united bank UK for 5 years at 2.65% its not massive, but has fscs protection so its safe

I know its a little dull, but its safe
    Wouldn't recommend tying up cash that long. Interest rates are going to rise.

P2P lending is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have looked into annuities and input the relevant factors in order to have some projections and your figures are consistent with the projected (unofficial) results. I will look into an ISA and would prefer working part-time and increasing my savings rather that denude them at this time (since this time last year my salary halved but my occ pen topped me back up to where I was income-wise). However, the amounts are relatively modest so I would prefer working part-time for another couple of years and add to my savings rather than denude them by drawing down.

I hope that the responses are helping other people as I don't usually air my laundry like this
    Right. That makes sense. I was wondering how you managed to go p/t and keep a full salary. I'm sure you will be able to map out your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That's a bit niche for me as I wouldn't know where to start - and isn't there a cost attached in storing it? Forgive my ignorance.
    Costs nothing to store gold yourself. Each 1oz gold coin'll set you back just above £1,000 today. Cheapest place to purchase them is from online dealers, Hatton Garden metals offer the best prices: http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/ (user reviews here: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www...rdenmetals.com) Simple process to buy: create an account, pay in a variety of ways and have delivered to your door within two working days. Gold's been used as a store of wealth and an insurance policy against financial calamity for five millennia.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Don't worry about the poor interest rates just keep it safe in simple ISA's, long term savings accounts with half decent rates , dont risk it ,property is probably a good bet and earn from the rent .
    Wealth denominated in bits of inked paper (and their digital equivalent) isn't safe, the exact opposite is true.

Deutsche Bank was described by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in 2016 as the world's most dangerous bank whose bankruptcy had the potential to bring down the world's financial system. Here's a BBC article from then: Deutsche Bank: World's most dangerous bank? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36723034

Today its share price lost almost 5% and is lower now than when the above article was published. Actually, its price is 40% lower this minute than what it fell to during the height of the global financial crisis in 2008-2009. You can check its performance here: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/DBK.DE/

I always enjoy reading threads like this. People will have completely different views in terms of how best to invest.Your approach will largely be determined by your appetite to risk.

Taking a step back - if you are a basic rate tax payer - you can earn a 1k before hmrc want to take a slice. If your a higher rate tax payer - that threshold is £500 (this isnt inclusive of share dividends - there are different, much higher thresholds here).

For low risk investment - your looking at cash isa's or bank savings accounts.

With £20k to play with - I would be giving the cash isa's a wide birth. Rates are absolute dog sh!te at the moment.

There are quite a number of regular savings accounts that will pay 5%. Usually £250/£300 per month is the max contribution over the 12 months - then get interest credited. First Direct, HSBC & Nationwide will give you that rate (you will need a linked bank account - easy enough to set up). Thats £9k invested low risk. A set of accounts for the wife as well makes it £18k.

Medium risk - I would be looking at index trackers. Mix your exposure up a little bit (a few guys in this thread have referenced ftse 100/250 index trackers). Do a bit of research on Hargreaves Lansdown. You can buy a tracker that will
    track pretty much any market - world wide. Plenty of material on MSE to help you here. You can wrap these in a stocks/shares isa as well. The ftse 100 has averaged a 7% return (long term investment), outperforming most fund managers.

Higher risk - P2P. Be very careful here. A lot of people have been stung investing in ultra high risk property projects. You really need to do your research before throwing any cash here. Personally - I avoid property investments like the plague. I tend to stick to bling loans - on line pawn brokers - gold watches - tangible items that can more easily be resold via auction. Unbolted is my platform of choice here. A lot of p2p sites will also enable you to wrap your investments up in an isa.

Ultra high risk - crypto currency. Again - completely depends on your attitude. A lot of people think this is complete guff, will go no where, & the fools that have invested will lose everything. What were the early perceptions of mobile phones & the internet in the early/mid 90's?! I strongly believe that this will blow up big style over the next few years, more and more of the youth will adopt. Focus here on projects addressing scailability issues. I have invested in a number of projects - i'm particularly excited by Zillica.

Each to their own of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Wouldn't recommend tying up cash that long. Interest rates are going to rise.

P2P lending is the way to go.
    Havent they been saying that for the last 10 years ? ?

Flaunting 20G as a bit of pocket money, ultra lefties on here will not be impressed
    Your card is marked!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Flaunting 20G as a bit of pocket money, ultra lefties on here will not be impressed
    Your card is marked!!!!!
    Yeah, rumoured to always wear a tuxedo and dickie bow when posting here.

No, most things I read had been saying that they would stay historically low. But I'm confident that will change, certainly in the next 5 years.

If you are not prepared to accept risk don't bother with shares. If you have a limited time horizon to invest then don't bother. I have been investing for many years and the results have been good. But there have been long periods of stagnation and even losses so if you want to cash in after say less than 5 years I wouldn't bother as the risks are too great especially with the uncertainties surrounding BREXIT and the fact markets are currently high. Many investors make the mistake of investing when markets are high and then cashing in when they lose money. That is not the way investing should work. If you want your money within say 5 to 8 years I would play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yeah, rumoured to always wear a tuxedo and dickie bow when posting here.

I remember when TBG turned out at one of the MB meets a good number of years back, genie hat to boot as well
    he looked at the time as if he'd struggle to find a thrupenny bit in his hip pocket never mind 20G, and was cadging of all to buy him a pint

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I remember when TBG turned out at one of the MB meets a good number of years back, genie hat to boot as well
    he looked at the time as if he'd struggle to find a thrupenny bit in his hip pocket never mind 20G, and was cadging of all to buy him a pint
    Silly arse

Now I'll definitely have an expensive bottle of cider off you, at our little haunt in Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Now I'll definitely have an expensive bottle of cider off you, at our little haunt in Fulham.
    I hope to tie my money up by then. I'll bring some scrumpy instead.

No, they absolutely have not. Only in the last 18 months to 2 years have they been talking seriously of interest rates going up. In 2-3 years, the 5 year rate you gave will be higher (but still terribly low).

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    No, they absolutely have not. Only in the last 18 months to 2 years have they been talking seriously of interest rates going up. In 2-3 years, the 5 year rate you gave will be higher (but still terribly low).
    when my fixed rate ended 9 years ago, plenty of the " expert sites, inc Martin lewis " was singing the praises of fixing again as interest rates were going to go up ( admittedly not to the previous highs, but they were still talking of increases ) i took the chance didnt fix a bold move according to the experts, it paid off though, stayed low and saved me money