+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Budapest Anyone ?

Budapest Anyone ?

Off to Budapest on Saturday for a few days, any tips; eg Eats/Must Do's/Risks

Thanks

Re: Budapest Anyone ?

The upstairs in the market hall for some awesome locallly brewed beers and some seriously cheap food which is top notch.

Oh, and the children's railway is pretty cool.

It was 14 years ago when we went there, but I think we went to this place, Rezkakas Bistro, but I gotta be fair, everywhere we ate was great.

What type of trip is it mate ? Went there few months back.

Buses and underground are a cheap and easy way to get around. The city is split by the Danube. West/south bank up the hill is quieter (especially at night)... castle/church/shops/Fisherman's Wharf... excellent views from here at night. East side is much more lively. Loads of places to eat. The indoor market is a must for grub and liquid refreshment. It's worth taking the open top bus tour to get your bearings. There seems to be quite a variety of establishments offering massages. On a poingant note, check out the memorial to the people murdered in the war, adjacent to the Danube. Near the chain bridge we found some decent free open air music. Finally, there's an island in the Danube (can't remember it's name). Worth a stroll.

Going for a leisure weekend. Thanks all.

Leaving Now

Their local stuff ‘dreher’ is bloody lovely!
    Lovely lace
    Go to the citadel, amazing view of Budapest

Great place, the folk can be weary of brits after one too many stag do's so just be wary not to rile up the locals if you're with a group of lads.

There are a few tourist traps to be aware of, including the usual scam bars but they are few and far between and 20 mins of research at the airport will have you clued up.

Enjoy!

So, that was Budapest. Had a great trip, enjoyed the culture, history and food. Thanks for the tips, even though we used the hop on hop off bus to get our bearings we walked and walked. We did a river trip, walked along the Danube saw 'the shoes', walked up to the castle, heroes square, etc. Food was fab and of good value, beer was generally well below £3 a pint. I would recommend for a good value cultural trip, and highly recommend a restaurant called Beef Heaven (which wasn't too cheap ;-)

Oh and don't forget the factor 50, it was boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    So, that was Budapest. Had a great trip, enjoyed the culture, history and food. Thanks for the tips, even though we used the hop on hop off bus to get our bearings we walked and walked. We did a river trip, walked along the Danube saw 'the shoes', walked up to the castle, heroes square, etc. Food was fab and of good value, beer was generally well below £3 a pint. I would recommend for a good value cultural trip, and highly recommend a restaurant called Beef Heaven (which wasn't too cheap ;-)

Oh and don't forget the factor 50, it was boiling.
    Sounds like a lovely City ,is it okay for the mature types amongst us ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sounds like a lovely City ,is it okay for the mature types amongst us ?
    Absoloutely, there is something for everyone. Part of our hop on, hop off ticket included a free optional walking tour which was really interesting. I did also mean to mention the 'ruin bars' which Budapest is famed for. I went to a couple but not really my scene, I'd liken it to drinking in a builders merchants yard.

Top Tip - If you are happy to go from London, always look at the cost of the trip through BA holidays as the three we have done (Rome, Luxembourg and Budapest) have offered very good value and great hotels.