+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2 best teams in this years Championship after Wolves....

The 2 best teams in this years Championship after Wolves....

....Will be competing in tomorrow's play off final according to a late night discussion on Talksport which I heard as I was driving home very late last night - yes I know they're wind up merchants on there but this was from an "expert" championship journalist and not one of their presenters.

He did say you had to admire Cardiff's tenacity to hang on to 2nd place but that most observers would say Fulham and Aston Villa were the next 2 best footballing teams in the league after Wolves.

So still being dismissed in many areas of the National press despite the amazing achievement of finishing above these 2 clubs. It will also be the same all next season too no doubt.

Anyway I'm glad we're not going through the stress of tomorrow but can't separate the 2 sides , who do we think will win? The verdict on the radio was that Villa's big name players would see them through

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: The 2 best teams in this years Championship after Wolves....

We stay under the radar.
    So called experts can pontificate all they like about who is better at what than whom
    It’s all about results. Fans want results
    We have the results

Villa will probably win because imo Fulham have blown their wad. Fulham to lose it as opposed to Villa going out and winning it. If you see what I mean

I don't really mind it as an assessment. Fulham went on an incredible run and if it wasn't for the terrible start they would have won the entire league (in 17th place in November).

It is right to say Cardiff for the majority of the time were not a fantastic team, but the grit and determination they shown though out the season was fantastic, lets be honest Cardiff should not have been promoted this season, the budgets and the squads we were up against made the task near impossible, and the play-off would have been an achievement.

Nonsense.
    From a team xG perspective we thoroughly deserve to be where we are, and if anything should have been closer to wolves. Although we tailed off a little at the end.

With the same stats villa were just a shade better than average, and could just have easily have missed out on the playoffs as finished where they were. Fulham at times were very very good, but I can't see any way to justify Villa being considered as better than us.

Everyone is a football purist these days, only like 30 years behind the continent but yea the football played by villa and Fulham is another level.

Villa ffs? Fulham, fine, you could argue second half of the season they were probably the best but villa aren't a great footballing team are they?

I think I'd rather villa win, the whining from Fulham fans was too much. Also think villa will win, they have that physical ability and experience.

Even Villa accept that they're not a footballing side! (whatever that is!)

I hope Fulham win but expect Villa to.

By the smallest of margins I would prefer Fulham to win - just because of the pleasure I would get seeing Terry and Grealish lose.

But either way one group of entitled fans is going to have a day of misery - so I will sit back with no stress and enjoy!

And Cardiff fully deserved 2nd place - we skinned the cat a different way, but did it really well. The arrogance and ignorance of the media and self-proclaimed 'football' experts will do no harm at all next season. We will be underdogs in our bunker again - and all set to come out fighting and defy the odds. That will do fine.

Wife told me this morning shes going out tomorrow - I told her to go early!

Great day of Football viewing tomorrow

Come on Fulham and Real

Let's not forget that talksport are owned by sky, and part of their remit is to massively big up whatever sky are showing.
    If the final had been between Burton and Brentford they would still be billing it as the biggest game ever

This is the time of year when pundits turn their attention away from the Premier League and become instant experts on the Championship.
    Aston Villa's squad with its big names, massive wages and inflated transfer fees persuades them they should be one of the top 2 or 3 sides in the division. The Championship pays no heed to such stats, the only important one being we finished a very comfortable 7 points clear of Aston Villa thanks in large part to the qualities of teamwork and a never say die attitude. At the end of the day 'Captain, Leader, Legend' John Terry and his mates couldn't match us for that.

Hope Fulham win - I've got time for (some) of their fans.

Can't stand the villa - grealish & terry epitomise them.

had to laugh about terry saying he won't play against chelsea next year.

i hope he doesn't get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    This is the time of year when pundits turn their attention away from the Premier League and become instant experts on the Championship.
    Aston Villa's squad with its big names, massive wages and inflated transfer fees persuades them they should be one of the top 2 or 3 sides in the division. The Championship pays no heed to such stats, the only important one being we finished a very comfortable 7 points clear of Aston Villa thanks in large part to the qualities of teamwork and a never say die attitude. At the end of the day 'Captain, Leader, Legend' John Terry and his mates couldn't match us for that.
    You're right about the pundits suddenly thinking they are experts on a league they have given no attention to over the course of the entire season.
    I can distinctly remember mark lawrenson praising Swansea's swashbuckling attacking style that had swept their way to promotion, and they would have to be more pragmatic in the premier league, when in reality they were promoted on the back of a miserly defence and actually only scored a mid table amount of goals.

A shame that both teams cannot fail and neither go up, both sets of fans feel they have a right to play in the prem ( apart from the Fulham fans who posted on here, who seemed decent enough )

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    By the smallest of margins I would prefer Fulham to win - just because of the pleasure I would get seeing Terry and Grealish lose.

But either way one group of entitled fans is going to have a day of misery - so I will sit back with no stress and enjoy!

And Cardiff fully deserved 2nd place - we skinned the cat a different way, but did it really well. The arrogance and ignorance of the media and self-proclaimed 'football' experts will do no harm at all next season. We will be underdogs in our bunker again - and all set to come out fighting and defy the odds. That will do fine.
    THIS^^^^^especially the bit about Terry and Grealish losing

Lovely post 👍👍

Good post. The players seemed to revel in it as well, defying the odds. As long as we don't get stuffed by the sides around us (which I don't see happening) then we should be able to keep spirits up.

Lying here on a sunbed in Menorca I couldn’t give a toss who goes up, just immensely pleased and proud my club went up automatically and deservedly with 90 points.

Could be in work now and fretting over organising half a dozen coaches for Wembley.

Bookie to Talksport and their ‘experts ‘

They know f all

For what little it's worth, I think Fulham will win it. The betting markets do too, so those of you who are confident that Villa will win would be advised to have a wager.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plu...et/1.143924480

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Lying here on a sunbed in Menorca I couldn’t give a toss who goes up, just immensely pleased and proud my club went up automatically and deservedly with 90 points.

Could be in work now and fretting over organising half a dozen coaches for Wembley.

Bookie to Talksport and their ‘experts ‘

They know f all
    Enjoy Menorca. A much under-rated destination. Not having to organise coaches to Wembley is a bonus it being the worst location for a stadium in the country. I don't think many supporters realise the stress involved in organising coaches so enjoy the rest. Es Grau for us in a few months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Agree,sometimes I wonder if they just look at Villa's squad and think oh yes, they've got some names, they must be good, without having actually watched them very much

Brentford for one were a better "footballing side" than Villa - Sheffield United for another, Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday when they got it right, I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Brentford for one were a better "footballing side" than Villa - Sheffield United for another, Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday when they got it right, I could go on.
    Hull were an interesting one, both scored and conceded 70 goals, I can't remember many sides having seasons like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Hull were an interesting one, both scored and conceded 70 goals, I can't remember many sides having seasons like that before.
    Didn't Hull get promoted with a minus goal difference a few years ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Didn't Hull get promoted with a minus goal difference a few years ago ?
    Huddersfield definitely did last season, with minus 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Huddersfield definitely did last season, with minus 2.
    And they played reading in the playoffs final with a gd of something like +4