+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Diversity for Diversity sake. Sky cricket.

Diversity for Diversity sake. Sky cricket.

The only reason I keep Sky Sports really is for the cricket.

The commentators for the England test matches are so knowledgeable and have all been there and done it.I could listen to Mike Athertons insights all day. But just like everything else these days, they now appear to have to have a female commentator on board. So we've got Gower, Botham, Atherton, Hussein, Lloyd, Wasim Akram, and some woman no one has ever heard of just to give some balance. Another occasion where I feel " stop the world I want to get off."

And while I'm writing this England lose two more wickets!!

Re: Diversity for Diversity sake. Sky cricket.

People said this about women in football commentary at first but a lot are better than the men. I could listen to Kelly Cates talk about football all day. People need to give them a chance, how do you know how knowledgeable she is or what her background is?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

The commentators for the England test matches are so knowledgeable and have all been there and done it.I could listen to Mike Athertons insights all day. But just like everything else these days, they now appear to have to have a female commentator on board. So we've got Gower, Botham, Atherton, Hussein, Lloyd, Wasim Akram, and some woman no one has ever heard of just to give some balance. Another occasion where I feel " stop the world I want to get off."

You want to "stop the world so you can get off" because out of 8 commentators, 1 is now a woman?

Cricket commentary appears to be different to football where the actual commentary is left in the hands of ex players. The male commentators I named have in excess of 520 test caps between them and so much experience of test cricket which they are able to pass on to the viewers. The new woman commentator I notice played 9 women's tests for England and has done very little tv commentary. If she turns out to be as good as the experienced blokes then well done. But that isn't going to happen. It's positive discrimination which to me is just like any other discrimination. Whose place has she taken on the commentary team? Shane Warne. I know who I'd rather listen and learn from.

You are talking about Ebony-Jewel Cora-Lee Camellia Rosamond Rainford-Brent?

A mouthful of a name, but I thought she was pretty good. Ex England and Surrey player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony-...Rainford-Brent

Alison Mitchell is very competent and knowledgeable too.

Cricket commentary appears to be different to football where the actual commentary is left in the hands of ex players. The male commentators I named have in excess of 520 test caps between them and so much experience of test cricket which they are able to pass on to the viewers. The new woman commentator I notice played 9 women's tests for England and has done very little tv commentary. If she turns out to be as good as the experienced blokes then well done. But that isn't going to happen. It's positive discrimination which to me is just like any other discrimination. Whose place has she taken on the commentary team? Shane Warne. I know who I'd rather listen and learn from.
    Everyone has to start somewhere though, it’s hardly positive discrimination when less than 10% of your commentary team are women.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are talking about Ebony-Jewel Cora-Lee Camellia Rosamond Rainford-Brent?

A mouthful of a name, but I thought she was pretty good. Ex England and Surrey player.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony-Jewel_Rainford-Brent[/

Alison Mitchell is very competent and knowledgeable too.
    It's not her it's Isa Guha. A much shorter name.

And I agree Alison Mitchell is very good.

Like discrimination against women commentators, which is fine. If the entire commentary team would have been swapped I'd see your point but you've still got seven ex male players there out of 8. Kicking up a fuss because there's now one woman offering a different insight is ridiculous

I tuned in the other day, just to see the score and the Lady in question was talking to someone (can't remember who), and they turned to Nasser to ask his opinion, and the F ucker was asleep.

Funny as f uck

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    People said this about women in football commentary at first but a lot are better than the men. I could listen to Kelly Cates talk about football all day. People need to give them a chance, how do you know how knowledgeable she is or what her background is?

No Surprise that You Defend Diversity for Diversity sake.

Because I’m open minded, intelligent and not threatened by minorities? thanks pal.

I agree with you mate,

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I agree with you mate,
    I don’t agree with you mate.

GIRL POWER!!!

I think it's absolutely disgusting. Why are they excluding the LGBTTQQIAAP community? There are more than two genders that exist you know.

Agreed. The SKY commentary and summaries are equal to - maybe nowadays better - than TMS. They probably think that having a woman commentating will attract more female viewers..