+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England v Pakistan cricket

England v Pakistan cricket

We think Glammy have problems. The capitulation of England this morning was one of epic proportions.
    Jos Buttler was saying they could even win it!

Yet another example of batsmen not applying themselves for test cricket, the game only just going into four days.

Bayliss has to be considering his position.

Re: England v Pakistan cricket

They think they are better than they are !!
    Never found replacements for Strauss and Trott and that puts pressure on Cook and Root as England almost start every game potentially 2 wickets down for very little. The batsmen also don’t apply themselves and because they won a series against Australia playing aggressive batting , have just stuck to this tactic of trying to play at 4 or 5 an over regardless of match situation and their defensive batting techniques are being found out .
    Root said they batted first as pitch looked like it would crack on days 4 and 5 but to me it was a defensive move scared that putting Pakistan in may back fire , he should have backed Anderson and Broad to use the best bowling conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    We think Glammy have problems. The capitulation of England this morning was one of epic proportions.
    Jos Buttler was saying they could even win it!

Yet another example of batsmen not applying themselves for test cricket, the game only just going into four days.

Bayliss has to be considering his position.
    who cares?anyone supporting england who is Welsh should be ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    They think they are better than they are !!
    Never found replacements for Strauss and Trott and that puts pressure on Cook and Root as England almost start every game potentially 2 wickets down for very little. The batsmen also don’t apply themselves and because they won a series against Australia playing aggressive batting , have just stuck to this tactic of trying to play at 4 or 5 an over regardless of match situation and their defensive batting techniques are being found out .
    Root said they batted first as pitch looked like it would crack on days 4 and 5 but to me it was a defensive move scared that putting Pakistan in may back fire , he should have backed Anderson and Broad to use the best bowling conditions.
    As soon as England decided to bat, I muttered to myself "another 40-3" then. That's what England are, a 40-3 team unless the pitch is absolutely flat. Cricket in this country is going through a crisis - the art of what I call "proper" batting in my old fuddy-duddy way is dying and, judging by the plans to bring an even shorter version of the game, because 20/20 is seemingly too long and boring to capture the market they are looking for, the question is does anyone in authority care?

I've just watched Messrs Hussain, Gower and Botham telling us that England could just as easily turn up in the next game at Headingly and overwhelm Pakistan in just the way that they have been overwhelmed themselves these last few days. They have a point, England have made a habit of doing that in this country for a few years now, but it ignores the fact that their record in their last eight test matches reads drawn two and lost six, with each of those losses being a trouncing - the trend over a period of years has been downwards when it comes to test cricket and it's accelerating.

In lots of countries, that wouldn't be thought of as too much of a problem because there is a perception that test cricket is dying on it's feet, but in this country there's still a sizable following for the original version of the game and they still want far more from an England team that is as weak now as it's been at any time this century I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    It's the England and Wales Cricket Board...

https://www.ecb.co.uk/about-us/about-the-ecb

Awkward.

Maybe you should tell all those Welshman who have played for England they should be ashamed, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It's the England and Wales Cricket Board...

https://www.ecb.co.uk/about-us/about-the-ecb

Awkward.

Maybe you should tell all those Welshman who have played for England they should be ashamed, eh?
    When the game is shown on TV i don't see England and Wales i only see wales referred to when there's shit to deal with off the pitch.

England have huge problems. Cook and Anderson are past their best with no likely replacements. Anderson will be a massive loss when he retires. They have not had a decent spinner for years. The middle order is fragile.

Test cricket has suffered in a similar way that international football has in some ways.

In football, the ultimate used to be playing for your country in the world cup whereas club football, in particular the money that can be earned from it, is now king.

With the riches on offer in the white ball game the IPL etc, the "proper" game is, as TOBW says, is dying on its feet.

The pundits mentioned, Gower, Botham and Nasser Hussain all good players and captains, must be thinking that this latest lot wouldn't have got anywhere near making the England side in their day.

No fight, no application, no pride and the management too must take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    Idiotic post.
    Why do you support a football team in the English Premier League where the manager and captain are English

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Test cricket has suffered in a similar way that international football has in some ways.

In football, the ultimate used to be playing for your country in the world cup whereas club football, in particular the money that can be earned from it, is now king.

With the riches on offer in the white ball game the IPL etc, the "proper" game is, as TOBW says, is dying on its feet.

The pundits mentioned, Gower, Botham and Nasser Hussain all good players and captains, must be thinking that this latest lot wouldn't have got anywhere near making the England side in their day.

No fight, no application, no pride and the management too must take responsibility.
    The ECB must take responsibility too. They sold the rights to Test match cricket to SKY denying many youngsters the chance to watch Ashes series and of course all other domestic Test series which always used to be free to air. Short term gain for long term pain.

Same old problems. Ironically the 2 left field selections from ed Smith nobody saw coming (buttler and Bess) performed the best. However 3 of the top 5 still aren’t up to it and the bowling attack as a unit looks feeble.

No realistic options to improve things either.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    When the game is shown on TV i don't see England and Wales i only see wales referred to when there's shit to deal with off the pitch.
    Maybe you should write a strongly worded letter or something then.

That'll learn them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As soon as England decided to bat, I muttered to myself "another 40-3" then. That's what England are, a 40-3 team unless the pitch is absolutely flat. Cricket in this country is going through a crisis - the art of what I call "proper" batting in my old fuddy-duddy way is dying and, judging by the plans to bring an even shorter version of the game, because 20/20 is seemingly too long and boring to capture the market they are looking for, the question is does anyone in authority care?

I've just watched Messrs Hussain, Gower and Botham telling us that England could just as easily turn up in the next game at Headingly and overwhelm Pakistan in just the way that they have been overwhelmed themselves these last few days. They have a point, England have made a habit of doing that in this country for a few years now, but it ignores the fact that their record in their last eight test matches reads drawn two and lost six, with each of those losses being a trouncing - the trend over a period of years has been downwards when it comes to test cricket and it's accelerating.

In lots of countries, that wouldn't be thought of as too much of a problem because there is a perception that test cricket is dying on it's feet, but in this country there's still a sizable following for the original version of the game and they still want far more from an England team that is as weak now as it's been at any time this century I'd say.
    I said a few years ago that the short game will slowly kill test cricket but didn't imagine the players would help in the matter, as much as I enjoy watching root and butler their decision making in test cricket is very poor and if you can get cook out early England are stuffed

Maybe you should write a strongly worded letter or something then.

That'll learn them.
    Ireland have got a test team together few years from now they'll be smashing england off the park.

Bayliss needs to be removed fron Test Duties.
    Root looks a disaster of a captain.

Ireland have got a test team together few years from now they'll be smashing england off the park.
    The best ones will end up playing for England...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bayliss needs to be removed fron Test Duties.
    Root looks a disaster of a captain.
    Hmm, agree on the former not the latter. The collapses aren't down to Root's captaincy.

Hmm, agree on the former not the latter. The collapses aren't down to Root's captaincy.
    Maybe not. However hes allowed inexperienced players to attempt the number 3 position when he should have gone there and batted like a leader. Taking his mate Ballance to Australia who didnt even get a game.

He should have been demanding out and out quick bowlers were selected for Australia and again now he is relying on the tried and tested 80mph bowlers. Those same bowlers need to be put in their place. Neither Broad or Anderson pitch the ball up enough. They dont like being driven. Root should read the riot act with the pair of them.

The quickest bowler Wood due to injuries isnt up to top speed. We even have him bowling too short. Hes a skiddy bowler. Either hes ignoring Root or its poor captaincy.

Im convinced Root is under the influence of his 2 opening bowlers.

We have come back from Australia and going with the same players with Wood thrown in as the pace bowler. Root must have a say on selection. He thought it would all be ok on home soil and backed safe selections.

Maybe not. However hes allowed inexperienced players to attempt the number 3 position when he should have gone there and batted like a leader. Taking his mate Ballance to Australia who didnt even get a game.

He should have been demanding out and out quick bowlers were selected for Australia and again now he is relying on the tried and tested 80mph bowlers. Those same bowlers need to be put in their place. Neither Broad or Anderson pitch the ball up enough. They dont like being driven. Root should read the riot act with the pair of them.

The quickest bowler Wood due to injuries isnt up to top speed. We even have him bowling too short. Hes a skiddy bowler. Either hes ignoring Root or its poor captaincy.

Im convinced Root is under the influence of his 2 opening bowlers.

We have come back from Australia and going with the same players with Wood thrown in as the pace bowler. Root must have a say on selection. He thought it would all be ok on home soil and backed safe selections.
    Maybe Root has done all you urge him to. Selection committee, Bayliss have far more to answer for.

He might have but i doubt it.

Im not saying sack him but he needs to wise up.

Bayliss is the main problem though.

He might have but i doubt it.

Im not saying sack him but he needs to wise up.

Bayliss is the main problem though.
    Think it runs deeper than just the coach - players who bat like Alistair Cook has done for a decade and more are considered passe and uncool these days, but you need a nucleus of two or three to fall back on in test cricket if the bowlers are threatening. One of the best attacking innings I've seen came from Ian Botham at Old Trafford in that incredible Ashes series in 1981 which proved decisive in giving England a 3-1 lead with one game to play, but I can remember at the time hearing and reading from various sources that he owed a great deal to Chris Tavare, a real slowcoach batsmen, who stayed in for ages in bowler friendly conditions, blunting the Aussies effectiveness and creating the platform for the blitz to come.

Once Cook goes (and he looks to be a player in decline), it's hard to say someone as good at what he does as him coming along in the future. Maybe they won't be required anyway, because test cricket is becoming boring to the extent that there never seems to be many great test matches around now where you see two equally matched teams going at it 100 per cent on a pitch which has something in it for batsmen and bowlers - the Cook "over my dead body" attitude is all but gone now it seems, because sides have this mistaken belief that it's preferable to "to go down fighting" as a series of batsmen make their way back to the pavillion after playing completely inappropriate shots for the match situation.

The best ones will end up playing for England...
    No Chance they'd play for Pakistan before England.

No Chance they'd play for Pakistan before England.
    What like Ed Joyce, Boyd Rankin and Eion Morgan did.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    What like Ed Joyce, Boyd Rankin and Eion Morgan did.