Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
Exactly.

Also, player's taking an age to take a throw-in, players taking an age to take a goal kick. All the while knowing that 10 minutes in football is 10 minutes. The ref will add on time at the end of the half for all the time wasting.

If they bring in a sin-bin, it will be exciting for a season, then people will moan about how referees are seemingly trying to be centre of attention (which is one jibe we often get about referees).

Who is going to monitor the 15 minutes sin bin? The fourth official? They don't get that luxury in tier 7 of the pyramid. It's been introduced in tier 7 this season, the referees hate it, the players hate it, the fans hate it.
In your scenario the defending side are now down to eight men as the thrower-in and the goalie will have been sin-binned for time wasting too but it would be a difficult thing to monitor in a game where the clock doesn't stop, I agree. Any stoppages for subbing & injuries as well as time wasting would need to be added on to the sin-bin and it would get complicated but I still think it's an interesting idea.

I take the point about parking the bus but that wouldn't be as simple as it would with a red card. A yellow card for a keeper isn't a punishment most of the time so he's happy to take one but a sin-bin would make him think twice. Being left without a recognised keeper for 10 minutes would be tricky, the manager can bring one on from the bench (as he would with a red card) but when the keeper's sin-bin is over he's left with two keepers so would have to make another sub (assuming he's got any left). Even a centre-half going off wouldn't be straightforward, I'm sure Warnock wouldn't fancy Mendez-Laing filling in at right back while Peltier or Manga goes inside but if he makes a defensive sub he's left with a back five when the centre-half comes back on.

Sin-bins would be more of a deterrent than people think, in my opinion. I assume you made your last sentence up to back up your argument (do they really have fans at that level?). I can't find any feedback on the trial scheme anywhere but I'd be interested if you've actually got a link