+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nigel Owen eggers ref demands football

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Nigel Owen eggers ref demands football

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It's been introduced in tier 7 this season, the referees hate it, the players hate it, the fans hate it.
    The head of referees, Neale Barry, says the trials have been very positive. There has been a 38% reduction in dissent since the scheme started and the experiment will be extended to more leagues next season.

https://www.balls.ie/football/refere...in-bins-385628

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The head of referees, Neale Barry, says the trials have been very positive. There has been a 38% reduction in dissent since the scheme started and the experiment will be extended to more leagues next season.

https://www.balls.ie/football/refere...in-bins-385628
    But I was told categorically - by an excellent source - that referees, fans and players all hated sin-bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But I was told categorically - by an excellent source - that referees, fans and players all hated sin-bins.
    Don't worry, he's got the evidence to prove it, he's going to put it on here when he's got time. The head of referees is going to look like a right clown when he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Don't worry, he's got the evidence to prove it, he's going to put it on here when he's got time.
    Indeed I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Indeed I will.
    Ok. I'll be patient, see if you can put it up by the time the World Cup starts (the 2018 one in Russia I mean, not the 2022 one which could be held in a number of Middle Eastern nations).

It's a shame there's so little information about the sin-bin experiment outside of your imagination. Those kind of trials are usually a good indicator of whether rule changes could work at the higher levels of the game and can often throw up surprising results. For example, players at that level used to have to pay a £10 fine if they got a yellow card for dissent but that was scrubbed when the experiment started as dissent was now to be punished with 10 minutes in the sin-bin instead. Some refs were worried that dissent would now increase as there was no financial penalty involved but it turns out that it actually decreased by 38%.

Seems that sin-bins are an effective deterrent from that but obviously we need more information before we can draw any conclusions about their overall impact. Your evidence will help to provide that, share it when you're ready.