+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mexico vs Wales

Mexico vs Wales

A decent performance from the lads in a packed out stadium. We didn't have much going forward but we looked really solid and strong. Ryan has surprised me in how organised we are, with every one knowing what they need to do.

Re: Mexico vs Wales

Clean sheet sounds like a good result playing a Mexico team heading to the World Cup.

I thought the tactics were a little incoherent.

Did Bale play ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Did Bale play ?
    Nope. Nor Allen, Chester, Woodburn or Ampadu. The youngsters did really well especially Mepham. Wilson and Lawrence were lively in the first half but faded. Connor Roberts was tenacious and John did well in the second half. Ledley was very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nope. Nor Allen, Chester, Woodburn or Ampadu. The youngsters did really well especially Mepham. Wilson and Lawrence were lively in the first half but faded. Connor Roberts was tenacious and John did well in the second half. Ledley was very poor.
    The tactics kept on changing, it seemed to be an experimental approach, trying to see what worked. The pitch and the sun didn't help either, and the crowd consisted of 86,000 Mexicans. Not the best circumstances for very young players, but a good learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The tactics kept on changing, it seemed to be an experimental approach, trying to see what worked. The pitch and the sun didn't help either, and the crowd consisted of 86,000 Mexicans. Not the best circumstances for very young players, but a good learning experience.
    I was very surprised at the size of the crowd. I thought the tactics worked well in the first half but with so many substitutions it became ragged at times and we were exposed down our right flank too often. All in all though the youngsters did really well and will have learnt a lot.

I see Tom Lockyer got a run out when Ash went off.

Radyr boy I think.

I was very surprised at the size of the crowd. I thought the tactics worked well in the first half but with so many substitutions it became ragged at times and we were exposed down our right flank too often. All in all though the youngsters did really well and will have learnt a lot.
    Brooks would have faired better in the first half, when we seemed to be more organized. Vokes doesn't look like a modern international footballer, so hopefully Bale will play down the middle, now that we have emerging talent out wide (Woodburn, Wilson, Brooks). Ampadu will be the future heartbeat of the team (if he stays!)

Our fans were great though. It just goes to show that 86,000 Mexicans are stymied when confronted with a beautiful Red Wall!

Brooks would have faired better in the first half, when we seemed to be more organized. Vokes doesn't look like a modern international footballer, so hopefully Bale will play down the middle, now that we have emerging talent out wide (Woodburn, Wilson, Brooks). Ampadu will be the future heartbeat of the team (if he stays!)
    Very much how I see it. The days for Vokes, HRK and Ledley are going to be limited.
    I would have Hennessey in goal with a back four of Gunter, Williams, Chester and Ben Davies. Play Ampadu in the CDM role with Allen and Ramsey central midfield. I would start with Lawrence and Woodburn on either flank with Bale playing down the middle. Wilson and Brooks to replace Lawrence and Woodburn in the second half. It’s a great mix of experience and youth with plenty of pace.

I thought the tactics were a little incoherent.
    Sure, that was true in the second half. In the first 45 the team held it's shape well, was solid and broke with purpose. If you threw in a few more of our talented attackers we might have scored one or two. I was really impressed with the ground that Ramsey covered in the second half. He was everywhere. He didn't really provide much magic in an attacking sense but he was covering for our less experienced lads like a leader.

Just watched the game. Wales were second best for long periods and, for all of the incisive running with the ball of Brooks, John, Wilson etc, suffered because the youngsters did not release the ball at the time when they could have damaged Mexico most. Still, it's better to have the talent to go past people and then learn how to best utilise with experience than have the match nous without the skill - the youngsters mentioned have already got the harder bit right.

Was very impressed with Mepham and Lockyer (rejected by City) did well also - it was encouraging as well to see that there doesn't seem to have been any change in desire in the squad during the transformation from the Coleman to Giggs eras.

Very much how I see it. The days for Vokes, HRK and Ledley are going to be limited.
    I would have Hennessey in goal with a back four of Gunter, Williams, Chester and Ben Davies. Play Ampadu in the CDM role with Allen and Ramsey central midfield. I would start with Lawrence and Woodburn on either flank with Bale playing down the middle. Wilson and Brooks to replace Lawrence and Woodburn in the second half. It’s a great mix of experience and youth with plenty of pace.
    I'd put Wilson ahead of Lawrence tbh

The Giggs haters have gone quiet! The players and fans seem impressed, let’s all support him and the team in our next game, another clash with the Republic of Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    The Giggs haters have gone quiet! The players and fans seem impressed, let’s all support him and the team in our next game, another clash with the Republic of Ireland.
    I think you’ve sort of answered your own statement there.

^ this

Vokes, Ledders and HRK must be thinking " time is up " , they have served us well though and will always have Euro 16

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I'm waiting for a proper game

Any chance the full game is available for people outside the UK somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Any chance the full game is available for people outside the UK somewhere?
    BBC IPlayer

BBC IPlayer
    Iplayer doesn't work outside the UK unfortunately, the highlights on the BBC work but are put together by a 3yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Iplayer doesn't work outside the UK unfortunately, the highlights on the BBC work but are put together by a 3yr old.
    Didn’t realise that. In truth it wasn’t a great game so I don’t think you missed much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/
    great site for that kind of thing.