+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "Warnock, who accepts his budget will be limited this summer,"........

Re: "Warnock, who accepts his budget will be limited this summer,"........

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Debt free was by 2021 I thought?

Even if Warnock has a limited budget I doubt we will make much of a profit to make a big dent into the debt.

Vincent Tan is likely to be our owner for many years. No one is going to buy him out. Come 2021 even if we are debt free I doubt wed have a buyer. Even then its likely to be a different foreign consortium.

More than happy with the way Vincent Tan is running the club now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    First up for me is that I think the writer of the piece I linked to in the OP has got much of what he writes from someone at the club - I may be wrong, but I suspect that article is pretty close to the truth when it comes to our attitude in the transfer market over the next couple of months or so.

Also, I don't see any great change in style taking place during the summer. The players we have are much better suited to playing in the manner we did in 17/18 and so any attempt to play more of a passing game would have to be founded, to a large extent, on new signings who probably would not come cheap given the job we would be expecting them to do.

It's far more likely I reckon that it will be more of the same from us, but, having only managed to beat Middlesbrough out of the Championship's top eight in the second half of the season (we got better at beating the division's also ran's during that time, but we struggled against the top sides) , I would say we need to do what we do quite a bit better than we did from Christmas onwards if we are going to compete at the higher level.

Reading some of the contributions to this thread, it almost seems as if there are those who want to keep our transfer business at the same sort of level it would have been if we hadn't gone up - if we were to do that then, surely, our chances of staying up would be negligible?

I get that we don't want to repeat what happened in 2013, when we spent in the region of £50 million and were the seventh highest spenders in the league, but the rewards for promotion from TV deals are higher these days and, with £25 million being quoted by Norwich for James Maddison apparently, the sum we spent five years ago would buy you a lot less now than it could have done then if it had been spent better.

With the talk of the free transfer and loan markets mentioned in the Wales Online article, it seems to me that City are, once again, in danger of going from one extreme to the other. If there really are these great Bosman's and potential loan deals out there, it seems daft to me to expect the other nineteen clubs in the Premier League, clubs in the Championship with hefty parachute payments boosting their budget and rich clubs in other countries, many of which would have far better scouting systems than us, to be completely unaware of them.

Being realistic, the only way such players would choose Cardiff over other clubs likely to be chasing them would be if we offered them more in wages and signing on fees than anyone else and then we'd be back heading towards a 2013 situation again.

If City are really going to spend as little as that article suggests, then we are, again, going to be relying very heavily on Neil Warnock and his staff repeating some of the great work they did last summer with the signings of, for example, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing and Paterson. Our manager is a proven miracle worker at Championship level, but his record in the top flight is, at best, patchy and, by his own admission, he is no good at spotting strikers.

If we really are looking at "mainly British-based experienced players", then that is probably as expensive a market as you can choose if the experienced players are not closer to forty than thirty, so, again, you have to wonder what is there available in that field at the sort of prices hinted at in the article?
    This is such a great post and should be food for some good debate! I didn’t se much of the first half of the season, but I remember reading about your take on the change in tactics. Maybe because of injuries, but Warnock stuck with it, and with a bit of luck it earned him promotion. I hope we go back to what I read about the first half of the season, as I believe it could be successful. Direct and quick.
    But we really need some quality players, don’t we?
    People seem to rely “in Warnock we trust”, and even if I don’t agree, it will be exiting. Being the stat junkie that I am, I don’t see how we can do any good business in the low end market. We desperately need to up our pass rate and tempo, and we need a goal scorer. From what I remember from school, playing the way Warnock wants, we need an industrial midfield winning second balls, and a team with pace moving arround them. Surely, some squad players and maybe one or two signings in bargain basement will do fine. But there needs to be investmet in the squad. Just look at our game against Nottingham Forest. How the hell are we going to compete with those stats?

Thanks for the kind words and it's not because of this that I say, broadly speaking, I agree with you. That report says "The Cardiff boss wants five or six players to supplement his current squad and is set to once again utilise the loan and free transfer market.". I suppose the big question is to what degree will he be dealing in loans and free transfers? If they are mixed with some clever permanent signings that will cost us a fee, then, fair enough, but I fear for us if we try to cobble together a side with a chance of staying up from the loan and free markets.
    We are looking for experienced Premier League performers - there may be a few Bosmans which fall into that category floating about, but there's not going to be many on loan I wouldn't have thought. So, if we are looking to pay a fee for such experience, I'd say £10 million would only buy you players from the lower end of that market in terms of ability.

Heard Gunter might be coming back here

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Because I'd quite like for there to be a sustainable club in Cardiff once Tan has left. Not one where new owners are bogged down having to sort out another mess from another irresponsible owner.

You should care too - it's apparently affecting the clubs purchasing power this summer.
    I think your not really that concerned about the debt and D2E promise. What your issue is and always has been is your apparent hatred of Vincent Tan. If we were debt free , you would still finding something else to drone on about for months and months.

If Tan left , you would probably moan about the same issues with the next owner and the next owner after that.

On on a separate note season ticket sale are past the 23,000 mark. More than Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I think your not really that concerned about the debt and D2E promise. What your issue is and always has been is your apparent hatred of Vincent Tan. If we were debt free , you would still finding something else to drone on about for months and months.

If Tan left , you would probably moan about the same issues with the next owner and the next owner after that.

On on a separate note season ticket sale are past the 23,000 mark. More than Wolves.
    Depends if the next owner kept reneging on his promise to convert debt to equity.

"Will happen when Langstone are paid off"
    "Will happen when we get to the Premier League"
    "Will happen immediately"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-debt-10875878

Debt free by 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Please no

Depends if the next owner kept reneging on his promise to convert debt to equity.

Debt free by 2021.
    Do you ever read Since 62’s reports, it’s more informed than the Echo lol

Debt free by 2021.
    Just for your information, it's currently 2018, not 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Please no
    Does a solid job, unerrated imo. Wouldnt be the worst move.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Does a solid job, unerrated imo. Wouldnt be the worst move.
    Never lets wales down, but I'm yet to meet a reading fan with anything good to say about him.
    I also think that wales would be a much better side with 2 quality fullbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Never lets wales down, but I'm yet to meet a reading fan with anything good to say about him.
    I also think that wales would be a much better side with 2 quality fullbacks
    We got one in Ben Davies at least

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Do you ever read Since 62’s reports, it’s more informed than the Echo lol
    Did you see the video of Tan saying £68m was being converted immediately? Did the Echo make that bit up?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Just for your information, it's currently 2018, not 2021.
    Yes, and just for your information that target involved converting £68m of debt "immediately" and a further £8m per season over the 5 years from 2016-2021.

Did you see the video of Tan saying £68m was being converted immediately? Did the Echo make that bit up?
    Pretty obvious that was Tan's intention until he delved into / was advised of the surrounding legislation / FFP regulations which would have made that a no-no.

But you keep using that as a stick to beat Tan over the head with, the rest of us have moved on.

Yes, and just for your information that target involved converting £68m of debt "immediately" and a further £8m per season over the 5 years from 2016-2021.
    Why don't you make your own threads rather than derailing other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Can't see this one whatsoever. Already have Peltier, A now fully fit Jazz, Manga and at a push Paterson. We have a shed load of priorities, but I don't see right back being one of them.

Midfield is priority I think, a couple of decent loans too. Let’s not spend much or end up like the jacks with Bony on 120k a week and no relegation clause, things like that can see you off.....