+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Warnock, who accepts his budget will be limited this summer,"........

Re: "Warnock, who accepts his budget will be limited this summer,"........

Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Happy to be here,believe it or not,i’m a daily visitor to the site,who for whatever reason,has been unable to log on for years!!,long term season ticket holder,first game was 1961-2 season Chelsea home 5-2, favourite player Tony Villars, who scored my favourite goal, against Palace which kept us up in 74,now i’m in I hope to contribute a tad more regularly!.
    Welcome to posting in the madhouse. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Warnock spent approx 12m last season to get us promoted roughly the same as Malky and I think he will get approx 50m for Premiership again the same as Malky
    Provided he gets the right players,no more Madines or Tomlinson it should be enough to survive. Last year’s promoted teams all spent less than 50m.

International

[QUOTE=kendoddsdadsdogsdead;4886070]Welcome Oliver..had the same problem for a couple of years..MM sorted it out

'Ow did you know 'is name was Oliver? bloody clever init?

Prefer money be spent firstly on the training ground and secondly on the ground before spunking loads on players. A kitty of £30m max will do to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Wow - that's a sleeper account and a half! Register in July 2012 and this is your first post

At least we know what interests you now
    Damn, I typed in the wrong username!

Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Happy to be here,believe it or not,i’m a daily visitor to the site,who for whatever reason,has been unable to log on for years!!,long term season ticket holder,first game was 1961-2 season Chelsea home 5-2, favourite player Tony Villars, who scored my favourite goal, against Palace which kept us up in 74,now i’m in I hope to contribute a tad more regularly!.
    Had the same problem until we switched boards

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I have a feeling that Snodgrass will be one of our signings!
    Hope so he a battler,skilful,scores ,better than our current midfield ,would help Ralls develop ,I'd sign him alone with Joe Allen ,move Gunnerson on .

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Unless we get good cheap players in.... in which case it shows the club are clearly more knowledgeable than fans.
    As long as they are nasty and ugly thats fine ,cheap is good .

Quote Originally Posted by GrangetownLurker View Post
    Prefer money be spent firstly on the training ground and secondly on the ground before spunking loads on players. A kitty of £30m max will do to be fair
    What do you think needs doing to the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    To be fair we don't really want any continental types disrupting the harmony, like Ole did last time. Some more experienced players to bring a bit of class and guile to our system would be my wish. Your Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble, Peter Crouch types are what we need.

Which players fit that mould and are available now?
    Ole's signings are unlikely to have disrupted things last time as it was the time where Tan was boasting he could do it better than Malky.

How many players did we have last season who fit into that experienced mould you're talking about? Most of ours were lower leagues or cast offs. I wouldn't want to sign the 2018 version of Kevin Nolan on a 2 year and high wage deal who won't want to play in the Championship or won't be effective in year 2.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Ole's signings are unlikely to have disrupted things last time as it was the time where Tan was boasting he could do it better than Malky.

How many players did we have last season who fit into that experienced mould you're talking about? Most of ours were lower leagues or cast offs. I wouldn't want to sign the 2018 version of Kevin Nolan on a 2 year and high wage deal who won't want to play in the Championship or won't be effective in year 2.
    Two players that really impressed me in the Championship were Ryan Woods ( I know he’s a ginger ) and Neal Maupay of Brentford, I think they would thrive under Mr Warnock and be good long term investments, I wonder how others feel about them ?.

Tan has been bitchin about premier league since relegation. “His club NEEDS”, to be in the premier league etc. Now he gets a hefty and much needed cash injection, but goes about it like a cheap skank!?

That, and Warnock’s very limited scouting range is not going to end well!

You could say the team needs only this and that. They ended second. Team spirit etc.
    We got the points needed...

But the truth is, and I can’t stress this enough. We can’t play football! We can fight, but we can’t play. Going through the championship with our stats, we are going to get murdered in the premier league. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Tan has been bitchin about premier league since relegation. “His club NEEDS”, to be in the premier league etc. Now he gets a hefty and much needed cash injection, but goes about it like a cheap skank!?

You could say the team needs only this and that. They ended second. Team spirit etc.

But the truth is, and I can’t stress this enough. We can’t play football! We can fight, but we can’t play. Going through the championship with our stats, we are going to get murdered in the premier league. Wake up and smell the coffee!
    The thing is - to change our style of play, and start passing it around like brentford would require a massive investment, which we can't afford to do at the same time as strengthening.
    We have to stick to the principles that got us promoted and improve on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The thing is - to change our style of play, and start passing it around like brentford would require a massive investment, which we can't afford to do at the same time as strengthening.
    We have to stick to the principles that got us promoted and improve on those.
    This is the reality of where we are. I'm sure NW does understand the need for ball players but does not want to lose the team spirit that is essential too. We also have FFP to consider on the assumption we'll go straight back down.

There is always the possibility that VT might gamble again and invest in some real quality, but I think if we do then it'll be the last bit of business we do to avoid alerting sellers that we have money to spend. Right now everyone assumes we're the cheapest spenders in the Prem, which is perfect as it sets expectations.

Latest statement from Villa:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...hallenges.html

Looks like their chickens have come home to roost. I'd prefer we don't find ourselves in that situation. Interesting that Xia is questioning the last 10 years and is focussing on sustainability now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post

So what? We end up back in the championship with a bit of money in the bank.... I'd rather that then going out and spending a fortune trying to stay up, which would probably fail anyway.

Warnock gets his 9th senior promotion... Sounds great to me

Quote Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
    So what? We end up back in the championship with a bit of money in the bank.... I'd rather that then going out and spending a fortune trying to stay up, which would probably fail anyway.

Warnock gets his 9th senior promotion... Sounds great to me
    End up back in the Championship with Mr Tan paid off?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Latest statement from Villa:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...hallenges.html

Looks like their chickens have come home to roost. I'd prefer we don't find ourselves in that situation. Interesting that Xia is questioning the last 10 years and is focussing on sustainability now.
    Everton, West Ham & Leicester here's some free advice: Jack Grealish is NOT the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I know Nolan is just an example here but twice he went down to the championship and both times scored a load of goals to get promoted back the first time of asking. Why wouldn't this be the kind of senior pro that we need?

The squad screams inexperience of playing at the highest level. We do need people who know what it's all about. Phil Jagielka could probably still play 15-20 games a season and would bring something we don't currently have. I don't know who is available and what terms they would want but I really hope Neil brings a few quality players to compliment what we already have.

"Tan has been bitchin about premier league since relegation. “His club NEEDS”, to be in the premier league etc. Now he gets a hefty and much needed cash injection, but goes about it like a cheap skank!?"

What would you do in the circumstances? Would you be prepared to sink around 15% of your net wealth into the football club and continue to support it to the tune of around £1m a month and then put up with criticism from disgruntled supporters. If I were Tan I would take a hefty chunk of his investment out especially when some "fans" continue to criticise. The proposal to shop for players in the bargain basement is the right one because even if £100m was spent on players the likliehood would be that the club would still struggle in the Premier League.

First up for me is that I think the writer of the piece I linked to in the OP has got much of what he writes from someone at the club - I may be wrong, but I suspect that article is pretty close to the truth when it comes to our attitude in the transfer market over the next couple of months or so.

Also, I don't see any great change in style taking place during the summer. The players we have are much better suited to playing in the manner we did in 17/18 and so any attempt to play more of a passing game would have to be founded, to a large extent, on new signings who probably would not come cheap given the job we would be expecting them to do.

It's far more likely I reckon that it will be more of the same from us, but, having only managed to beat Middlesbrough out of the Championship's top eight in the second half of the season (we got better at beating the division's also ran's during that time, but we struggled against the top sides) , I would say we need to do what we do quite a bit better than we did from Christmas onwards if we are going to compete at the higher level.

Reading some of the contributions to this thread, it almost seems as if there are those who want to keep our transfer business at the same sort of level it would have been if we hadn't gone up - if we were to do that then, surely, our chances of staying up would be negligible?

I get that we don't want to repeat what happened in 2013, when we spent in the region of £50 million and were the seventh highest spenders in the league, but the rewards for promotion from TV deals are higher these days and, with £25 million being quoted by Norwich for James Maddison apparently, the sum we spent five years ago would buy you a lot less now than it could have done then if it had been spent better.

With the talk of the free transfer and loan markets mentioned in the Wales Online article, it seems to me that City are, once again, in danger of going from one extreme to the other. If there really are these great Bosman's and potential loan deals out there, it seems daft to me to expect the other nineteen clubs in the Premier League, clubs in the Championship with hefty parachute payments boosting their budget and rich clubs in other countries, many of which would have far better scouting systems than us, to be completely unaware of them.

Being realistic, the only way such players would choose Cardiff over other clubs likely to be chasing them would be if we offered them more in wages and signing on fees than anyone else and then we'd be back heading towards a 2013 situation again.

If City are really going to spend as little as that article suggests, then we are, again, going to be relying very heavily on Neil Warnock and his staff repeating some of the great work they did last summer with the signings of, for example, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing and Paterson. Our manager is a proven miracle worker at Championship level, but his record in the top flight is, at best, patchy and, by his own admission, he is no good at spotting strikers.

If we really are looking at "mainly British-based experienced players", then that is probably as expensive a market as you can choose if the experienced players are not closer to forty than thirty, so, again, you have to wonder what is there available in that field at the sort of prices hinted at in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    End up back in the Championship with Mr Tan paid off?
    Since the rebrand and relegation I have always wondered what Tan's end game is - and the least worst scenario for him is to trouser as much money as possible next season in the Premiership in order to cut his losses.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    First up for me is that I think the writer of the piece I linked to in the OP has got much of what he writes from someone at the club - I may be wrong, but I suspect that article is pretty close to the truth when it comes to our attitude in the transfer market over the next couple of months or so.

Also, I don't see any great change in style taking place during the summer. The players we have are much better suited to playing in the manner we did in 17/18 and so any attempt to play more of a passing game would have to be founded, to a large extent, on new signings who probably would not come cheap given the job we would be expecting them to do.

It's far more likely I reckon that it will be more of the same from us, but, having only managed to beat Middlesbrough out of the Championship's top eight in the second half of the season (we got better at beating the division's also ran's during that time, but we struggled against the top sides) , I would say we need to do what we do quite a bit better than we did from Christmas onwards if we are going to compete at the higher level.

Reading some of the contributions to this thread, it almost seems as if there are those who want to keep our transfer business at the same sort of level it would have been if we hadn't gone up - if we were to do that then, surely, our chances of staying up would be negligible?

I get that we don't want to repeat what happened in 2013, when we spent in the region of £50 million and were the seventh highest spenders in the league, but the rewards for promotion from TV deals are higher these days and, with £25 million being quoted by Norwich for James Maddison apparently, the sum we spent five years ago would buy you a lot less now than it could have done then if it had been spent better.

With the talk of the free transfer and loan markets mentioned in the Wales Online article, it seems to me that City are, once again, in danger of going from one extreme to the other. If there really are these great Bosman's and potential loan deals out there, it seems daft to me to expect the other nineteen clubs in the Premier League, clubs in the Championship with hefty parachute payments boosting their budget and rich clubs in other countries, many of which would have far better scouting systems than us, to be completely unaware of them.

Being realistic, the only way such players would choose Cardiff over other clubs likely to be chasing them would be if we offered them more in wages and signing on fees than anyone else and then we'd be back heading towards a 2013 situation again.

If City are really going to spend as little as that article suggests, then we are, again, going to be relying very heavily on Neil Warnock and his staff repeating some of the great work they did last summer with the signings of, for example, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing and Paterson. Our manager is a proven miracle worker at Championship level, but his record in the top flight is, at best, patchy and, by his own admission, he is no good at spotting strikers.

If we really are looking at "mainly British-based experienced players", then that is probably as expensive a market as you can choose if the experienced players are not closer to forty than thirty, so, again, you have to wonder what is there available in that field at the sort of prices hinted at in the article?
    Its a difficult one when you look at it.

What is the money we gain from the premier league £190m is bandied about, but from my understanding that is a £100m payment for this year and the other £90 will be from parachute payments over the next 4 years.

What is our wage bill annually at the moment £25m?

So if we double our wage bill (which will still put us £10 a year below Aston Villa last season), and spend £30 million. We will hit £80m of our £100m first year payment, but bear in mind we will then take an £50m wage bill with us to the championship.

When you look at the £25m asked for Maddison, it shows the position we are in.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    NW has already stated it will be very much limited. He also said, we will probably have the smallest budget in the PL.

Someone alluded to this aspect of the transfer business in the thread about the slick back hair and greasy moustachioed Fulham chappy

Why would you advertise that your going to spend big and then end up paying way over the odds for average talent

Canny man NW