+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 25 Football "Experts" get it totally wrong

25 Football "Experts" get it totally wrong

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: 25 Football "Experts" get it totally wrong

Unless I read the article incorrectly we’ve gone under the radar again

“The order might have been wrong, but our team predicted five of the sides that would finish in the top six.

The only side not to make it were Sheffield Wednesday, who were tipped to reach the play-offs for a third successive year but ended the campaign down in 15th.”

And where were the City? Predicted 11 finished 2nd

Slack reporting again by the license payers leeches

You've put the word 'experts' in quote marks yet that's the only word not in the article.
    The journalists didn't do too badly to be fair and you'll always get the odd surprise. Thankfully that was us!

One journalist had us to go down? With Warnock? That's a sackable offence.

These predictions are so hard to make in fairness. And they aren’t claiming to be experts they’re journalists who’ve been asked to make some predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Unless I read the article incorrectly we’ve gone under the radar again

“The order might have been wrong, but our team predicted five of the sides that would finish in the top six.

The only side not to make it were Sheffield Wednesday, who were tipped to reach the play-offs for a third successive year but ended the campaign down in 15th.”

And where were the City? Predicted 11 finished 2nd

Slack reporting again by the license payers leeches

How many of us predicted city would finish second?Most of us we're hoping that we'd scrape the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    These predictions are so hard to make in fairness. And they aren’t claiming to be experts they’re journalists who’ve been asked to make some predictions.
    Exactly - not sure why so much time is wasted on things like this.

The way that I look at it, they didn't predict one league position correctly. Even an idiot would have a great chance of getting at least one right by total accident. That proves how knowledgeable about the game they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The way that I look at it, they didn't predict one league position correctly. Even an idiot would have a great chance of getting at least one right by total accident. That proves how knowledgeable about the game they really are.
    Not as knowledgeable as you obviously. Can we have your predictions for the Championship next season please?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Not as knowledgeable as you obviously. Can we have your predictions for the Championship next season please?

If any league position prediction was correct merely 'by accident' it would be no reflection of idiocy or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You've put the word 'experts' in quote marks yet that's the only word not in the article.
    The journalists didn't do too badly to be fair and you'll always get the odd surprise. Thankfully that was us!
    The speech marks are ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Surprised that you havent blamed Mr Tan not converting debt to equity fast enough for the reason why the journalists didn't get their predictions correct. Anyway, why would I want to predict next seasons Championship. I have no interest in next seasons Championship as, in case you didnt notice, City got promoted. And whilst we are on the subject of predictions, what about yours at the beginning and during last season when you stated on a number of occasions that City had 'no chance' of achieving an average gate of over 20000 or getting promotion with the squad we had or way we were playing. Not so clever after all are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If any league position prediction was correct merely 'by accident' it would be no reflection of idiocy or otherwise.
    I think that you have got too much spare time in your hands if you analyse posts in that much detail. I am sure that you got my point anyway.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    How many of us predicted city would finish second?Most of us we're hoping that we'd scrape the playoffs.
    Agreed

Heisenberg

If it was one person guessing, then, yeah, you're right... But if you bothered to read it properly, it was the average finishing positions from the guesses of 25 different people with different views and outlooks on each team's strengths and weaknesses.

Since you only have one viewpoint (which never wanes) it's hardly surprising that you've missed it.

Even an idiot would have a great chance of getting at least one right by total accident.
    Which one did you get right, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If it was one person guessing, then, yeah, you're right... But if you bothered to read it properly, it was the average finishing positions from the guesses of 25 different people with different views and outlooks on each team's strengths and weaknesses.
    I don't understand the logic here. They are less likely to get one right when the group's combined opinion is taken into account because?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't understand the logic here. They are less likely to get one right when the group's combined opinion is taken into account because?
    Well individually people got a few spot on if you read the article but taking the average it only takes a few to be completely wrong to skew it.

Heisenberg

Some people would have had some teams doing well while other would have had them doing terribly, bringing the average to somewhere where possibly nobody thought they'd finish... So, how is that representative of an individual's idea of where the club would finish?

For example, if I thought Wolves were going to get relegated and you thought they'd win the league, we'd have them finishing in mid-table and we'd be wrong. That's why it doesn't show how "knowledgeable" the journalists are, as dml1954 said.

Plenty of them predicted a few correct positions but the average position was taken and discussed in the article.

I don’t see why you’re so annoyed about it anyway?

His logic is sound.

25 journalists predict 25 tables - high probability that at least one of those predictions will have one club in the right position.

1 average table - less likely to get at least one club in the right position (only 1 attempt).