+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Huddersfield...

Huddersfield...

..had a .minus goal difference when they were promoted..and stayed in the Premier.
    We can do this.

Re: Huddersfield...

As I posted on another thread our team is arguably better than the promoted Huddersfield team, despite us being called the worst team ever to be promoted.
    With sensible additions we can be ok.

Last time we won the Championship by a mile yet we were relegated and Hull and Palace stayed up and Palace who I believe were 20 points behind us are still in Premiership?

And when they went up, and we lost to reading, we beat Huddersfield 9-1 over the two games

Quote Originally Posted by Fulham traveller View Post
    And when they went up, and we lost to reading, we beat Huddersfield 9-1 over the two games
    We beat them 6-2 as well despite ending up mid table

Despite the Terriers having a poor defence I fancied them to surprise a few teams in the Premier because of their high energy style. I am fairly confident we will do the same, particularly until teams have a chance to suss us out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Despite the Terriers having a poor defence I fancied them to surprise a few teams in the Premier because of their high energy style. I am fairly confident we will do the same, particularly until teams have a chance to suss us out.
    All this is true, I do think this season the bottom of the premier league looks stronger than it has for a while though

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    All this is true, I do think this season the bottom of the premier league looks stronger than it has for a while though
    3 perennial strugglers have finally gone down and 2 of the 3 coming up seem to have money to burn, so I’d agree.

Who can we aim to have below us ?

Huddersfield everyone mentions,

Maybe Palace , serial bullet dodgers, but even they have a squad we can only dream of.
    Watford & Southampton similar
    Burnley are punching above their weight , so maybe they will get dragged in with a few injuries or bad start , or someone poaching their manager.

The rest seem to be buying well... West Ham , Brighton probably Newcastle.

Leicester appear to have gone up a level.

It looks like extremely tough for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    3 perennial strugglers have finally gone down and 2 of the 3 coming up seem to have money to burn, so I’d agree.

Who can we aim to have below us ?

Huddersfield everyone mentions,

Maybe Palace , serial bullet dodgers, but even they have a squad we can only dream of.
    Watford & Southampton similar
    Burnley are punching above their weight , so maybe they will get dragged in with a few injuries or bad start , or someone poaching their manager.

The rest seem to be buying well... West Ham , Brighton probably Newcastle.

Leicester appear to have gone up a level.

It looks like extremely tough for us.
    True. I think a fair few posters are still in 'Championship mode' when talking about the players who we should be signing - more like the sort of players needed for a promotion push than a Premiership-surviving squad. I do hope City give it a real go in the transfer market..

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    As I posted on another thread our team is arguably better than the promoted Huddersfield team, despite us being called the worst team ever to be promoted.
    With sensible additions we can be ok.
    Have we? Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    This time last year, people would have laughed at predictions that West Brom and Stoke would go down - I agree the Jacks were living on borrowed time, but not the other two. Wolves will spend big and Fulham are as well apparently, so they will fancy their chances of staying up, especially when you consider how weak the league was in 17/18 - if a team as poor as Everton were can finish eighth, then it was a bad league and I don't see it transforming into the strongest one in years in a few months.

First Team

dare I say it but at this stage the speculation over how we may do is pointless.
    Just about every team will gain and lose around a third of their squad ( guesstimate) and there will undoubtedly be changes in the management/ coaching staff as well.
    The only reasonable assumption is that we will probably struggle as ,historically ,most newly promoted clubs do.
    Probably only after a quarter of the fixtures are completed will we have a fair idea of how the season will pan out and even that theory is flawed as Palace proved.
    At this stage all I do accept is that we are up and most neutrals think we will go back down. As I don't really care what others think about us a great deal then it is of no concern. Indeed as their opinion is possibly (mostly) based on the dislike of Warnock ( and many on here were guilty of this pre his arrival in respect of the teams he had previously managed) I am Even less concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Have we? Got a link?
    Poetic licence Bob, but in fairness we have been criticised nearly all season. I don't recall Huddersfield, who IMO were a lesser team get the same stick.

Huddersfield were able to pass the ball though - I'm struggling to think of a promotion side to the Premier League who passed the ball as bad as us in recent years.

That said, I agree - we were a better side than Huddersfield in their promotion season. However, I can remember Huddersfield breaking their transfer record something like five times in a fortnight last summer, so they spent very big by their standards and it seems to me that, Pritchard in January apart, perhaps, their better buys were from the continental market.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Huddersfield were able to pass the ball though - I'm struggling to think of a promotion side to the Premier League who passed the ball as bad as us in recent years.

That said, I agree - we were a better side than Huddersfield in their promotion season. However, I can remember Huddersfield breaking their transfer record something like five times in a fortnight last summer, so they spent very big by their standards and it seems to me that, Pritchard in January apart, perhaps, their better buys were from the continental market.
    Yes Bob, and that worries me a bit. While I understand the need to keep spend ingredients under control, and also the need not to upset team moral, I cannot see that we can avoid spending big money, £25m, on a couple of players. The others can be frees.