+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City to the valleys.

Re: City to the valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Certainly not-and I don't mean that in a snobby way, I live in Birchgrove but was brought up in Ely-Llanedeyrn, so I've seen it all. I know i'm going to piss a few people off, but Caerphilly is a shithole, the town centre is dire, loads of very fat people or others with sticks, it's a poor area, the people have suffered. The further you go up the valley, the worse it seems to get. The levels of social poverty and lack of job opportunities is shocking. Something needs doing, I certainly wouldn't want to live there.
    Cardiff is full of ***** who seem to think they’re better than the rest of South Wales nobody could argue that the valleys transport is shit but tbf for a capital city Cardiff’s transport is very poor plus I’ve driven through Cardiff in many places and thought I’ve entered a completely different country I’d rather live in the beautiful mountains before that flat nothing Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh you have suprised me , I visit Pemroke a lot and found them lovely , however its usually places like Saundesfoot, Tenby, Bluestone .
    I love it down here and would never consider moving. Have made friends,partly through the work I did, partly through politics.
    Funnily enough none of these friends were born and bred here in Pembs. I have long accepted that I will never be seen as a local
    by those born here, although friendly enough you rarely get invited in for a cuppa,like I did when I lived in Ponty, where I was raised and Cardiff where I live for many years.
    Pembs still is a big village, although changing, its locals with a different mindset to the Valleys and a City.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Cheeky Kent! Caerphilly is a lovely place to live. I moved here seven years ago after living in sunny Splott for many years and not regretted it once. On the rare occasions I drive down to Cardiff via Caerphilly Road/Birchgrove I see far more obese people with sticks in Birchgrove than in Caerphilly. The town and the retail park just outside contain everything I need to buy,although I must admit bar grocery shopping i get more and more stuff online these days. I can easily walk to the town which is less than ten minutes away for me. I have a dog and love walking and have some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK on my doorstep. I have a train station three minutes walk away, and from there it only takes 19 minutes to get to Queen Street.What the feck has Birchgrove got, that Caerphilly hasn't? I know the area very well having been brought up in Whitchurch. I can't think of one thing in it's favour, apart from the Cypriot cafe next to the Birch pub which I visit once a year whilst my car is being MOT'd by an old mate. I for one, have never regretted moving here.
    I'm not saying that Birchgrove is special, it isn't, just replying to the poster who asked whether Caerphilly was-is an extension of North Cardiff, it isn't. I'm not doubting the scenery. I don't like Caerphilly, worked there for a couple of months and the amount of people in the town centre who look ****ed, obese or in need of a walking aid was incredible, and they weren't that old. Obviously, there are plenty there who aren't like that, the majority, but i'd say that there is a fair bit of poverty in Caerphilly and the borough, which brings plenty of other issues. I wish that there wasn't, but that's just my observation. Save the Children did a study in Caerphilly borough and came to the conclusion that 18% of the children living there are in severe poverty, although that was about five years ago. Personally, I just don't like the place, i'm not that endeared towards where I live at the moment either.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Cardiff is full of ***** who seem to think they’re better than the rest of South Wales nobody could argue that the valleys transport is shit but tbf for a capital city Cardiff’s transport is very poor plus I’ve driven through Cardiff in many places and thought I’ve entered a completely different country I’d rather live in the beautiful mountains before that flat nothing Cardiff
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I was born in Ebbw Vale, grew up in Garnlydan and Risca before doing uni in Stafford, then worked in London for ten years before moving to Cardiff.

The valleys are great for nice peaceful living, but job opportunities and transport are crap.
    Getting around in London on bus/tube was easy - having a car was a burden, jobs are relatively plentiful, but London is a dirty, expensive shithole. My mrs is a Londoner, and even she says she'd never want to go back.

In Cardiff, we have the best of everything (ok, nearly the best)
    Two train stations in Ebbw, now Bobh.