+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How much can we spend on wages and transfers for next year?

How much can we spend on wages and transfers for next year?

If we assume an income of £100M this year then we don't actually have a great deal of leeway for transfers assuming the following:

Squad of 25 on average £40k/week = ~£50M
    Other running costs (Manager, groundstaff, stadium, training ground, etc) assume around £20M
    Leaves about £30M on transfers to break even I reckon

That being the case then I reckon ~£12M will be the max we could spend on a marquee player. This isn't going to buy us much and I'd prefer we therefore bought young unproven players which are a risk rather than the 'proven' pro who is prepared to come to a club expected to struggle.

To my mind this means NOT buying current Prem players, but loaning 2 of them. I reckon Grujic will be one, but I'd prefer we wait a little longer before filling these slots up.

The other players should be those who look as if they'll fit our style and showed promise in the Championship this year

Re: How much can we spend on wages and transfers for next year?

I hope we don't end up with a 25 man squad that is paid an average of £40k/week. That would be crazy - even with relegation clauses in all contracts. There may well be a handful on £40k (or more) but all the noises coming out of the club suggest we have got a sensible and sustainable wage structure in place now.

I have seen reports that the average Premier League wage in 2017-18 was £46k/week - but that will be massively distorted by the mega wages paid by the top clubs. According to a number of reports (including the one below) Burnley paid between £5k/week and £35k/week last season with an average of just over £15k/week.

https://sillyseason.com/salary/burnl...laries-101325/

I would also like to see Grujic back at the CCS. He seemed to like the club and fitted in. He added quality to the midfield and if he can react a bit quicker and cut out the clumsy fouls he could be a star. He's more likely to be effective in a second season with a full pre-season. Most recent reports suggest that any decision by Liverpool on his future is likely to be delayed by the World Cup.

How many players can one club loan to another? I should imagine Rangers will now get the pick of crop at Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    If we assume an income of £100M this year then we don't actually have a great deal of leeway for transfers assuming the following:

Other running costs (Manager, groundstaff, stadium, training ground, etc) assume around £20M

That being the case then I reckon ~£12M will be the max we could spend on a marquee player. This isn't going to buy us much and I'd prefer we therefore bought young unproven players which are a risk rather than the 'proven' pro who is prepared to come to a club expected to struggle.

To my mind this means NOT buying current Prem players, but loaning 2 of them. I reckon Grujic will be one, but I'd prefer we wait a little longer before filling these slots up.

The other players should be those who look as if they'll fit our style and showed promise in the Championship this year
    Young and unproven? There's loads of them, but either in development squads or playing in the lower leagues, hence being unproven at the top level-is that what you mean? it isn't going to happen, young with promise might be the case, but that'll either be in the lower divisions or top end development squads. It's a big risk. I'd say that the foreign market may work out better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How many players can one club loan to another? I should imagine Rangers will now get the pick of crop at Liverpool.
    Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2017/18, there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

They are:
    - Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
    - The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
    - Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
    - A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    That site is quoting higher Burnley wages than the ones I looked at - but still gives an average of £25k for the 21 players listed. I assume there were another 4 players in the 25 man squad at the lower end of the wages range who were not included - which would bring the average down a bit.

I hope that is where we are next season - not £40k+/week on average.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

As the generally accepted figure for money in the prem is £100 million does this mean you allowed nothing for income from any other source including gate receipts advertising etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Young and unproven? There's loads of them, but either in development squads or playing in the lower leagues, hence being unproven at the top level-is that what you mean? it isn't going to happen, young with promise might be the case, but that'll either be in the lower divisions or top end development squads. It's a big risk. I'd say that the foreign market may work out better.
    Yes - that's what I meant. Could have worded it better I agree. I think it's a 50:50 call between homegrown and foreign players as to which is the better risk.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    As the generally accepted figure for money in the prem is £100 million does this mean you allowed nothing for income from any other source including gate receipts advertising etc
    It was a back of the fag packet calculation to try and get a conservative feel for income and expenditure next year. Potentially we could earn another £10 - 20M on top next year but I wanted to get a feel for the lower end of our likely transfer spend. If we are looking for 5 - 6 players then, excluding wages, I think we're looking at spending an average of £4 - 6M on each. This could be outright buys or loan fees.

Based on current prices this isn't going to get us much - hence having to look for loans, Bosmans or players not yet proven in the Prem