+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we got a big bid for Big Ken, should we sell?

Blue in the Face

If we got a big bid for Big Ken, should we sell?

Zohore perhaps didn't set our season alight as we might have hoped but we know he has more in the locker than he has shown in a while. But I can't help pondering these questions - does he suit us under Neil? Would he potentially be more valuable to another club who aren't so direct?

Perhaps it might be better for us to hang on to him and hope he finds form in the PL. Maybe it would be better for us to sell when he's on form again. But I can't help feeling he'll be relegated to being a squad player next season and perhaps this will be a luxury we can't afford if we need to look for no.9's with different skillsets.

Re: If we got a big bid for Big Ken, should we sell?

He's a very important player for us, we won't get an adequate replacement very easily

No, I actually think he's premier league quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's a very important player for us, we won't get an adequate replacement very easily
    Just what I was thinking. Zohore missed eleven matches with his injury last season, so he scored nine times in twenty nine starts and six substitute appearances. Slightly better than one goal in every four appearances is not great for a central striker, but when he is almost exclusively used as a lone striker with a service to him that very rarely played to his strengths, then I don't think it is bad.

Zohore has something about him which marks him down as one of our players who could make a big impact in the Premier League if he is used as he should be and he becomes confident - I think if we sold him we'd probably have to pay more than we got for him to get a like for like replacement, especially if we are favouring the domestic market and players with Premier League experience.

Ken might just win his first senior cap for Denmark tonight - they're playing Sweden (ko 6.45), wonder if there's a stream anywhere?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just what I was thinking. Zohore missed eleven matches with his injury last season, so he scored nine times in twenty nine starts and six substitute appearances. Slightly better than one goal in every four appearances is not great for a central striker, but when he is almost exclusively used as a lone striker with a service to him that very rarely played to his strengths, then I don't think it is bad.

Zohore has something about him which marks him down as one of our players who could make a big impact in the Premier League if he is used as he should be and he becomes confident - I think if we sold him we'd probably have to pay more than we got for him to get a like for like replacement, especially if we are favouring the domestic market and players with Premier League experience.

Ken might just win his first senior cap for Denmark tonight - they're playing Sweden (ko 6.45), wonder if there's a stream anywhere?
    I disagree with you on one bit. I thought Ken did get service in some games but was guilty of snatching and mis-timing his chances on quite a few occasions. You could certainly put this down to confidence. I don't want to sound too harsh because he clearly has talent and it would be great to see him fulfil his potential with us.

Thanks for the tip off about the Denmark game. Sisto is a player i like for them. I hope Ken makes an impact tonight and gets a shot at the world cup. But what if he does and has a great tournament? We're still very much a selling club and we need to start turning profits on players. My central argument is that Ken maybe more valuable to another club than he is to us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    No, I actually think he's premier league quality.
    I too agree can't wait
    too see what he does , we were never armed with a real potent striker last time we went up.

There might be one on these IPTV subscriptions!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I disagree with you on one bit. I thought Ken did get service in some games but was guilty of snatching and mis-timing his chances on quite a few occasions. You could certainly put this down to confidence. I don't want to sound too harsh because he clearly has talent and it would be great to see him fulfil his potential with us.

Thanks for the tip off about the Denmark game. Sisto is a player i like for them. I hope Ken makes an impact tonight and gets a shot at the world cup. But what if he does and has a great tournament? We're still very much a selling club and we need to start turning profits on players. My central argument is that Ken maybe more valuable to another club than he is to us.
    He was snatching at chances at times last season, but I would say that had a bit to do with the poor service he was getting - when you are getting so few passes which play to your strengths, I would think that you would tend to tense up when one came along.

I'd say the likelihood is that, even Zohore gets his chance tonight and does well, he won't make the final twenty three for Denmark.

Paul you have a PM good news

I know its unlikely, but he would be one hell of a signing, is he still at Celta Vigo?

Blue in the Face

He was snatching at chances at times last season, but I would say that had a bit to do with the poor service he was getting - when you are getting so few passes which play to your strengths, I would think that you would tend to tense up when one came along.

I'd say the likelihood is that, even Zohore gets his chance tonight and does well, he won't make the final twenty three for Denmark.
    I suppose it's win win for City on Ken's world cup. But ultimately I reckon it could do him the world of good to make. Think you might be right though.

Ken is going to need a new no.10 to play along side if he's to get more service. I think this is Neil's big challenge this window, finding the balance between 9 and 10. The novelty of Paterson and Ken can't work across a season in the PL for me.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I know its unlikely, but he would be one hell of a signing, is he still at Celta Vigo?
    Yeah I checked a couple of weeks back. Think he signed an epic contract there

No point, nobody will offer £15million again.

Yeah I checked a couple of weeks back. Think he signed an epic contract there
    Looks like he signed a 5 year deal when he joined so he's got 3 years left

He only cost Celta €6m!

Zahore on the subs bench? On bein sports 4

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Zahore on the subs bench? On bein sports 4
    He didn’t make the bench unfortunately so even less likely to make their 23.

As for us, he’s our best player by quite some distance and certainly the one with greatest potential. As others have said I’m excited to see what he does next season with some confidence.

I seem to remember Jursett commenting on his lack of ability once upon a time - we should’ve known then that he’d be a world beater

They got Mexico in a week so maybe a chance for him there.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    He didn’t make the bench unfortunately so even less likely to make their 23.

As for us, he’s our best player by quite some distance and certainly the one with greatest potential. As others have said I’m excited to see what he does next season with some confidence.

I seem to remember Jursett commenting on his lack of ability once upon a time - we should’ve known then that he’d be a world beater

I wouldn't say he's our best player, he is in terms of potential but there's a couple I'd put ahead of him at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    They got Mexico in a week so maybe a chance for him there.
    All squads have to be announced by June 4th

I assume we are going to play the same way we dId last season which means ideally you want someone tall strong and quick through the middle.

He's certainly not a kid and I don't think he is a great footballer but I think ken is good for us and we are good for him.

All prices are so far exaggerated in the premier league it's hard to get any value. At least with Ken we know what he can do.

On the way back from Burton I remember we were all convinced he'd bag at least 20

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I assume we are going to play the same way we dId last season which means ideally you want someone tall strong and quick through the middle.

He's certainly not a kid and I don't think he is a great footballer but I think ken is good for us and we are good for him.

All prices are so far exaggerated in the premier league it's hard to get any value. At least with Ken we know what he can do.
    Just booting the ball up the pitch to Zohore, like we did for much of the second half of the season, does not get the best out of him though because he is poor in the air for his height and build - it may sound daft, but we'd be better off thinking in terms of him being an Earnie/Chopra type operating on the shoulders of the last defender. He was too quick for most defenders in the Championship when given that sort of service and I don't think there'd be that many centrebacks in the Premier League who'd beat him in a foot race - his physicality would also ensure that it would be a combination of pace and power that these defenders would be facing. Providing the sort of service from which Zohore could prosper though requires more accuracy and craft in our passing than we were able to provide from Christmas onwards a lot of the time though.

Unless he was injured, Zohore's absence from the Danish squad tonight must mean that he won't be going to the World Cup, but if things don't go to plan for Denmark in Russia and he makes a good start to the new season, I'd say there's a chance we might see him in action against Wales in September.

Also, I see Gunnar was an unused sub in Iceland's loss to Norway tonight. Mats Daehli was an unused sub as well, but what's happened to that kid Ogegaard who signed for Real Madrid - no sign of him in the Norwegian squad tonight.

Just booting the ball up the pitch to Zohore, like we did for much of the second half of the season, does not get the best out of him though because he is poor in the air for his height and build - it may sound daft, but we'd be better off thinking in terms of him being an Earnie/Chopra type operating on the shoulders of the last defender. He was too quick for most defenders in the Championship when given that sort of service and I don't think there'd be that many centrebacks in the Premier League who'd beat him in a foot race - his physicality would also ensure that it would be a combination of pace and power that these defenders would be facing. Providing the sort of service from which Zohore could prosper though requires more accuracy and craft in our passing than we were able to provide from Christmas onwards a lot of the time though.

Unless he was injured, Zohore's absence from the Danish squad tonight must mean that he won't be going to the World Cup, but if things don't go to plan for Denmark in Russia and he makes a good start to the new season, I'd say there's a chance we might see him in action against Wales in September.

Also, I see Gunnar was an unused sub in Iceland's loss to Norway tonight. Mats Daehli was an unused sub as well, but what's happened to that kid Ogegaard who signed for Real Madrid - no sign of him in the Norwegian squad tonight.
    He should never have gone to Real, especially since Ajax were sniffing around

Odegaard broke his foot towards the end of the season in Holland, don't think he was setting the world alight there, although he's still only 19.

Sander Berge is another Norwegian who's linked with a raft of clubs in the big leagues, only played the first half tonight, but he's coming back from a bad injury.

Zohore perhaps didn't set our season alight as we might have hoped but we know he has more in the locker than he has shown in a while. But I can't help pondering these questions - does he suit us under Neil? Would he potentially be more valuable to another club who aren't so direct?

Perhaps it might be better for us to hang on to him and hope he finds form in the PL. Maybe it would be better for us to sell when he's on form again. But I can't help feeling he'll be relegated to being a squad player next season and perhaps this will be a luxury we can't afford if we need to look for no.9's with different skillsets.
    Considering the club are shopping in the "oops" aisle this summer, then maybe selling Zohore is not such a crazy idea.

I really really balieve in another year or two he could be a top striker