+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next season

Next season

The odds are, that next season isn’t going to be easy on the eye for us. With the small budget we have and the type of players we seem to be after (if you go by the rumour mill), then it’s gonna be one long struggle just to avoid finishing bottom.
    Scant reward for the amazing effort the team the manager and the fans put in the season just gone.
    No doubt we’ll get behind the team as usual, but crowds will dwindle as the season moves on and this board isn’t gonna be a happy place to visit.
    Our seasons in the championship have always been the best in my lifetime of supporting the City.
    Anyone agree with me, or am I being too negative already?

Re: Next season

I've no problem with us having a small budget by Premier League standards, but I see no reason why it should be as small as the local media seem to be making out.

I touched upon this in my weekly review blog piece this morning.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've no problem with us having a small budget by Premier League standards, but I see no reason why it should be as small as the local media seem to be making out.

I touched upon this in my weekly review blog piece this morning.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Just read that Bob. Good piece. Think we’ll do well not to be the whipping boys.

We will give it our best shot and what ever will be will be. Lets just enjoy it while it lasts because none of us ever dreamed of being in this position 18 months ago. I thought we were finished for a while there but this club doesnt know when its dead. Time and time again people have written us off and yet there we are rubbing shoulders with the elite. Best of all we did it the right way this time, as a united front. Still cant quite believe it.

Burnley have spent in the region of £80M in the last 2 seasons back in the Prem.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson Charlton Undisc. 19 Jul, 2016
    Nick Pope Charlton Undisc. 19 Jul, 2016
    Jimmy Dunne Man Utd Undisc. 24 Jul, 2016
    Steven Defour Anderlecht £8,000,000 16 Aug, 2016
    Jeff Hendrick Derby £10,500,000 31 Aug, 2016
    Joey Barton Rangers Unknown 02 Jan, 2017
    Robbie Brady Norwich £13,000,000 31 Jan, 2017
    Ashley R Westwood Aston Villa Undisc. 31 Jan, 2017
    Charlie Taylor Leeds Undisc. 06 Jul, 2017
    Jonathan Walters Stoke £3,000,000 07 Jul, 2017
    Jack Cork Swansea £10,000,000 11 Jul, 2017
    Phil Bardsley Stoke Undisc. 25 Jul, 2017
    Adam Legzdins Birmingham Undisc. 07 Aug, 2017
    Chris Wood Leeds £15,000,000 21 Aug, 2017
    Nahki Wells Huddersfield £5,000,000 31 Aug, 2017
    Aaron Lennon Everton Undisc. 23 Jan, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The odds are, that next season isn’t going to be easy on the eye for us. With the small budget we have and the type of players we seem to be after (if you go by the rumour mill), then it’s gonna be one long struggle just to avoid finishing bottom.
    Scant reward for the amazing effort the team the manager and the fans put in the season just gone.
    No doubt we’ll get behind the team as usual, but crowds will dwindle as the season moves on and this board isn’t gonna be a happy place to visit.
    Our seasons in the championship have always been the best in my lifetime of supporting the City.
    Anyone agree with me, or am I being too negative already?
    So, reading between the lines, you think we will struggle, crowds will drop dramatically, we will get relegated and people on this board will get on the players and managers back. More than that you appear to want us to get relegated, as you enjoy us playing in the Championship more. Whats the point ?. If that's your attitude already, you would be better off going and finding someone else to support. By the way, last time we were in the Prem, we didnt do very well did we but the ground was full all season, so where you get that part of your 'prediction' from I dont know. I prefer to look forward to next season and will be there to the bitter end giving my support, no matter how we do.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So, reading between the lines, you think we will struggle, crowds will drop dramatically, we will get relegated and people on this board will get on the players and managers back. More than that you appear to want us to get relegated, as you enjoy us playing in the Championship more. Whats the point ?. If that's your attitude already, you would be better off going and finding someone else to support. By the way, last time we were in the Prem, we didnt do very well did we but the ground was full all season, so where you get that part of your 'prediction' from I dont know. I prefer to look forward to next season and will be there to the bitter end giving my support, no matter how we do.
    That isn't reading between the lines, that's making shit up

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    It’s called being realistic. Why would I want to support some other team? Why would I want my team to get relegated?You are getting hyper and dillusional. I too will be there till the last game as I am every season.
    Just offering my opinion on what lies ahead. (If that’s ok with you?)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Burnley have spent in the region of £80M in the last 2 seasons back in the Prem.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson Charlton Undisc. 19 Jul, 2016
    Nick Pope Charlton Undisc. 19 Jul, 2016
    Jimmy Dunne Man Utd Undisc. 24 Jul, 2016
    Steven Defour Anderlecht £8,000,000 16 Aug, 2016
    Jeff Hendrick Derby £10,500,000 31 Aug, 2016
    Joey Barton Rangers Unknown 02 Jan, 2017
    Robbie Brady Norwich £13,000,000 31 Jan, 2017
    Ashley R Westwood Aston Villa Undisc. 31 Jan, 2017
    Charlie Taylor Leeds Undisc. 06 Jul, 2017
    Jonathan Walters Stoke £3,000,000 07 Jul, 2017
    Jack Cork Swansea £10,000,000 11 Jul, 2017
    Phil Bardsley Stoke Undisc. 25 Jul, 2017
    Adam Legzdins Birmingham Undisc. 07 Aug, 2017
    Chris Wood Leeds £15,000,000 21 Aug, 2017
    Nahki Wells Huddersfield £5,000,000 31 Aug, 2017
    Aaron Lennon Everton Undisc. 23 Jan, 2018
    By premier league standards that looks sensible without going overboard although Burnley did have some players with experience of their previous stint in the premier league which Gunnarsson apart, if he stays, we don't.

I'd expect us to spend about those amounts but in a way which allow us to bounce back immediately should the almost certain relegation happen.

Building for the future like Burnley did is sensible. Our previous spending in the top flight felt like shit or bust as we bought players who weren't prepared to stay and fight for promotion from the Championship or were too expensive to keep in the Championship.

I think that we might shock a few.

We need a goal scorer, a good set piece taker and a quality centre mid and we will be competitive.

We can hurt anybody from set piece I’d we have someone capable of delivering.

Etheridge, Bamba, Morrison, Ralls, Bennett , Hoilett and Zohore are all capable at the top level.

One or 2 others may also step up