+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best wines for under a tenner

Best wines for under a tenner

I know wines are to personal preference but surely someone can point me in the right direction.

RRP is hard to take any notice of. Bought a £14 wine reduced to a fiver, and it tasted worse than a usual £5 wine. Also started using this Vivino app, where wines are rated but that’s been less than successful for me.

Can anyone recommend any?

Re: Best wines for under a tenner

I’d go for a Gewürztraminer or a New World/Sicilian Merlot. You should be able to get a good bottle for under a tenner.

Apothic Red from California. It's meaty, chocolatey and blackcurranty. Very strongly flavoured and needs to be sipped rather than quaffed. Ideal accompaniment to a venison dish and the like.

French wine is overpriced in the UK. Better value from Spain & Italy. Baron del Rey Reserva Rioja everytime. Widely available in UK supermarkets.

Make your own
    Easy recipes on YouTube.
    Banana wine I make is exceptionally quality.
    Also the Apple and elderflower is amazing to make.

If you live in Cardiff try the Continental beers and wines shop on Whitchurch Road towards flyover end.
    They do nice wines right towards back shelf at the back end of the shop.
    Blackberry wine. Peach wine. Rhubarb etc

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Apothic Red from California. It's meaty, chocolatey and blackcurranty. Very strongly flavoured and needs to be sipped rather than quaffed. Ideal accompaniment to a venison dish and the like.
    Yes, but there's a better version, apothic dark, though not many tescos in Wales sell it.

Here's my current favourite :
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/292768324

Cab sav 120 - its excellent

Chilean red for me

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    This is my current favourite - every now and again it's on offer for £36 for a case of 6 in Costco.

Haven't quite got the hang of the sipping thing though, it's too easy to drink.

Can see it being a bit 'sweet' for some though.

I saw an ad from Wilkinson's last week - they had a Sauvignon Blanc for £7.99 which had won a best in Britain prize.

Californian Turner road reserve Chardonnay is a cracking wine, at around the £5 mark sometimes priced at £5.75 but buy 6 and get 25% off ( tesco at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Can anyone recommend any?
    May be a surprise to some, but Aldi wines generally score well in blind testing and subsequently do well in competition for Gold medals etc

The perennial favourite/best in class over the years has been the Spanish Toro Loco or Toro Loco Superior and which is made from Tempranillo grape.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/toro-loco-sup...40728020610200

For a sub £4 bottle this is as good as it gets for drinking wine on its own or as an accompaniment with many types of meals

Spend a fiver on the wine, and put the rest towards a nice pair of underpants if you are into Päntsdrunk

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yes, but there's a better version, apothic dark, though not many tescos in Wales sell it.

Here's my current favourite :
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/292768324
    I have had the Apothic Dark, old fruit