+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff could well be signing....

Cardiff could well be signing....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.w...e-14739090.amp

Lots of "could well be"'s in this article which, as has been established by general consensus, makes the article correct even if it "could well be" devoid of facts.

Re: Cardiff could well be signing....

Why pick the day that Guonongbe is having his medical with Man U to cast doubt on the accuracy or depth of research behind transfer stories?

Good luck, Fred. Bluebird legend!

The OP should maybe do some revision on the conditional tense after the weekend he’s had

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The OP should maybe do some revision on the conditional tense after the weekend he’s had
    Conditional sentences are "If this happens, then that happens", "If this had happened, then that would have happened" and so on. I think "could well be" is a modal verb with an adverb.

Yay, grammar fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I've had a fantastic weekend, great weather and Sunday evening was with a local Skeptics group. I was doing a presentation on logically flawed arguments - I had an awful lot of researched material, some of it came from you.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Conditional sentences are "If this happens, then that happens", "If this had happened, then that would have happened" and so on. I think "could well be" is a modal verb with an adverb.

Yay, grammar fun.
    You are right, but it comes to something when whole articles are published on such flimsy foundations. My uncle could well be my aunt if he lost his last remaining nut (,the good one as he eloquently puts it).

Editor: I need an article from you about Cardiff City
    Journalist: I have **** all, I'll make something up based on a rumour - add some "could well be"'s and the article will be forgotten within minutes of the reader finishing reading it.

Sounds irresponsible, infactual and a waste of time to me. But, the general consensus is that these articles are correct (how can you ever be wrong with a possibility dressed as a probability?) so journalists can continue earning a decent wage from being faultless.