+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary Madine, forgotten man at CCS...?

Gary Madine, forgotten man at CCS...?

Among all the talk and speculation about who's coming in and who might going out, very little has been said about our most expensive signing of the promotion campaign.

Let's be honest, although it might have been the net result, Madine wasn't brought here in January to gee-up Ken Zohore. And if the reports are right about this summer's spend on new blood, Madine's fee represents about 25% of it!

So, what's NW's view of our Gary - a vital, or even only useful, member of the EPL squad or was it always the plan, if promoted, to quietly look to move him on to generate fresh funds and release wages?

Re: Gary Madine, forgotten man at CCS...?

Gary who?

Just kidding, hope he has a great season. Maybe he will be better suited to the EPL?

Danny Ward is another name we seem to have forgotten about .

If Gary gets 8-10 goals in the EPL - he is suddenly worth £10M plus

Wait for it ... Wait for it... the Madine 'haters' will soon pick up on this thread and be all over it like a rash. 'Useless donkey' was one of the many such phrases used towards the end of last season, together with the priceless 'what times the first train out of Cardiff for Madine in the morning' after the Wolves game. Bearing in mind he got a broken nose and damaged ankle against Millwall and then cracked ribs against Bristol City and only actually started six games after he arrived, I think he contributed fully to the run in and will hopefully prove a good buy and show the critics that he is worth his place in the squad.

Not sure he can do any kind of job in the PL.
    Questionable buy at the time, particularly if the quoted fee was correct

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Danny Ward is another name we seem to have forgotten about .
    Hasn’t given me any indication that he can make the step to PL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    If your auntie had bollocks she would be your uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Gary who?

Just kidding, hope he has a great season. Maybe he will be better suited to the EPL?
    Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    If you read through my previous posts you’ll see I’m a fan of Madine and think he’ll play a part. But if he gets 10 goals in the PL I will eat my own ****

Not been overly impressed , but he’s our player, and we should get behind him and support him. Sometimes you just need the rub of the green.

Could be useful to bring off the bench if we re chasing the game and smashing long balls up.

He’s good in the air to be fair to the lad

He played his part last season without scoring (and obviously missing a pen!). Changed the game when he came on at HT away at Ipswich and his header led to Pilk’s equaliser against Sheff Utd. Probably didn’t show his best form for us but there’s no doubt he’s decent in the air and he could play a part as sub if we’re chasing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If you read through my previous posts you’ll see I’m a fan of Madine and think he’ll play a part. But if he gets 10 goals in the PL I will eat my own ****
    Not a single Cardiff City player will get 10 goals. No slight on Madine there.

Without his inclusion at Sheffield United we wouldn't have been promoted

He's no Omar Bogle.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He's no Omar Bogle.
    No, Bogle scored goals for us. Sorry, I just don't see what Madine gives us, he's been an effective lower league targetman for most of his career, but I thought he looked out of his depth at the top levels of the Championship - someone like Danny Ward, at about a fifth of the price, was doing so much more for us before he got injured.

He is strong and good in the air. I imagine a high percentage of our goals are going to come from set pieces where he could be key.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Bon appetit.