+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City - I hope the club put Premiership survival before football 'austerity..

City - I hope the club put Premiership survival before football 'austerity..

We're here, and it was a footballing miracle. Whilst you can never say 'never' in football, it's unlikely we will get another crack at top flight football for a long time. There are the odd exceptions like Huddersfield and Bournemouth who are 'small' clubs but who both had superb managers and excellent recruitment strategies, but the Championship becomes tougher with each tranche of relegated clubs - it's becoming a 2nd tier Premiership in many ways which the likes of Ipswich, QPR, will struggle to compete in.

So I really hope the club gives Warnock big bucks, whether in loan deals or transfers. I think we all acknowledge we are somewhat behind Wolves and Fulham in being Premiership-ready, and whilst the likes of Snodgrass would be a good addition to the squad, we really need to transform the team into Warnock City mark 2.

To go into the first 10 or so games not able to compete could well finish our season before it begins. We are a Premiership club, in some ways more so than Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield - the CCS feels like a top-flight club when it's full and buzzing. The Club must have confidence that big spending, [and well], will ensure the club's survival. If Swansea can spend 7 seasons there surely we can be aiming to do the same. Otherwise, what's the point ?

Re: City - I hope the club put Premiership survival before football 'austerity..

The championship is more fun anyway.

Re: City - I hope the club put Premiership survival before football 'austerity..

I guess you didnt hear Warnock on Talk sport last week.

He constantly referred to Burnley coming up , spending no money, being relegated then coming up the following season bigger and stronger, it seemed to be his mantra .
    Our budget is half what Huddersfields was. I guess the club have learnt from the previous mistakes .
    We wont be splashing the cash

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We're here, and it was a footballing miracle. Whilst you can never say 'never' in football, it's unlikely we will get another crack at top flight football for a long time. There are the odd exceptions like Huddersfield and Bournemouth who are 'small' clubs but who both had superb managers and excellent recruitment strategies, but the Championship becomes tougher with each tranche of relegated clubs - it's becoming a 2nd tier Premiership in many ways which the likes of Ipswich, QPR, will struggle to compete in.

So I really hope the club gives Warnock big bucks, whether in loan deals or transfers. I think we all acknowledge we are somewhat behind Wolves and Fulham in being Premiership-ready, and whilst the likes of Snodgrass would be a good addition to the squad, we really need to transform the team into Warnock City mark 2.

To go into the first 10 or so games not able to compete could well finish our season before it begins. We are a Premiership club, in some ways more so than Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield - the CCS feels like a top-flight club when it's full and buzzing. The Club must have confidence that big spending, [and well], will ensure the club's survival. If Swansea can spend 7 seasons there surely we can be aiming to do the same. Otherwise, what's the point ?
    You have to be prudent with the aim of being strong when you go back down into the Championship.

By going for it, there is a chance you will still get relegated, but you are carrying a massive wage bill and none of the players you have want to stay with you, that is how you shoot straight out of the championship and into league 1.

Sign players that may keep you up, but dont cripple you when you go down.

Premiership survival is not guaranteed by spending millions. Every team that got promoted last season stayed up. Teams that spent big went down. There is very little correlation between the two in my opinion.

I really don't understand your post at all.
    We saw what "going for it" did last time.

We had 3 or 4 years where the club was in danger of slipping back into the oblivion of the 80's and 90's.

We were paying out massive sums of money to players who left the club long ago and recovery year we were cutting our wage bill further.

Even this season Warnock said that if we didn't go up we'd be forced to sell assets like Joe Ralls.

Time and time again I think it has been shown that the best approach is to pick off the better championship players in the hope that you can just about stay up then build from there.

I'd be happy to see us see off the majority of our debt bring in some big sponsors as a result of going up, sign quality championship players who would become assets or even stay with us if we do go back down and be one of the favourites to come back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Premiership survival is not guaranteed by spending millions. Every team that got promoted last season stayed up. Teams that spent big went down. There is very little correlation between the two in my opinion.
    According to transfermakt, Huddersfield spent around £50m last season, Newcastle spent around £35m and Brighton spent around £55m

Every side in the Prem spent more than 10m last season on one player. I'd much rather we spent that money on someone from the Championship, that is hungry and wants to do well but the truth is, it's going to be very, very tough if we don't strengthen significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I really don't understand your post at all.
    We saw what "going for it" did last time.

We had 3 or 4 years where the club was in danger of slipping back into the oblivion of the 80's and 90's.

We were paying out massive sums of money to players who left the club long ago and recovery year we were cutting our wage bill further.

Even this season Warnock said that if we didn't go up we'd be forced to sell assets like Joe Ralls.

Time and time again I think it has been shown that the best approach is to pick off the better championship players in the hope that you can just about stay up then build from there.

I'd be happy to see us see off the majority of our debt bring in some big sponsors as a result of going up, sign quality championship players who would become assets or even stay with us if we do go back down and be one of the favourites to come back up.
    If we go back down, I doubt we would 'come back up' for years..

i have said it before, i would prefer to go " all in " and go for it

we are 100 Mill plus in debt to Vinnie, it will not matter if thats 200 Mill as no-one would buy us for the amount of debt we are in, so Vinnie will have to take a hit on it ( if he wants out )

I hope the club puts survival before wasting millions on players. Reckless spending will bring about the club's downfall or even demise. If the club was £200m in debt as advocated by the previous poster who would provide the extra cash to keep the club afloat. Nobody! And how much would we need to spend to compete against those teams close to the bottom of the Premier League such as Southampton, West Ham, Watford and Brighton? These teams have players that are unaffordable to us so it is questionable if we could compete even if the budget was blown. The club's current prudent approach is the correct one in my view.

We spent a chunk last time, proved useless. A decent manager and recruitment is vital at this level as Bournemouth, Burnley and Swansea proved. Don’t really see hudds as a role model, they only survived because the jacks imploded in the last 9 games picking up 3 points.

I think if we don't spend at least £50m, we won't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    i have said it before, i would prefer to go " all in " and go for it

we are 100 Mill plus in debt to Vinnie, it will not matter if thats 200 Mill as no-one would buy us for the amount of debt we are in, so Vinnie will have to take a hit on it ( if he wants out )
    What if he keeps the 100 mill odd we are gonna get this year and pays off the debt ? Much more attractive investment then.

All the teams that went down made bad mgt decisions which cost them big time

The impression being given by the local media is that we won't have much of a budget and I think there is a feeling among some that the "miracle" which worked when we signed one of the division's best keepers for nothing on what I presume are low wages, signed a winger for nothing on similar wages who started and ended the season playing very well in a promotion team, signed an injured Scottish full back for nothing who ended up as our top league goalscorer and a French midfielder for nothing on the lowest wages for a senior player at the club, yet provided good cover and, occasionally, excellent performances, can be repeated.

I don't think it can and if we are going to only have the reported £20 million for transfers, then we are going to need there to be some really ropey teams in the Premier League if we are to stay up. £30 million doesn't buy you a great deal in the modern Premier League, while a £40 million budget is seen as quite modest. We can't say too much if Vincent Tan has decided that he wants to pocket all of the promotion money, because the man has kept the club afloat virtually single handedly throughout virtually all of this decade, but, if as I suspect, he's not going to do that, then I see no reason why we can't spend somewhere between those two figures to give us a reasonable chance of surviving - there'll still be more than £40 million left and that's before we even start thinking about parachute payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    We tried reckless spending last time - and look what happened.
    Lets do it slightly different this time - else we could be back at square 1 - again....
    This.

We a month on from the season and people have already forgotten what brought us promotion. Chucking money around might be exciting but it guarantees nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The impression being given by the local media is that we won't have much of a budget and I think there is a feeling among some that the "miracle" which worked when we signed one of the division's best keepers for nothing on what I presume are low wages, signed a winger for nothing on similar wages who started and ended the season playing very well in a promotion team, signed an injured Scottish full back for nothing who ended up as our top league goalscorer and a French midfielder for nothing on the lowest wages for a senior player at the club, yet provided good cover and, occasionally, excellent performances, can be repeated.

I don't think it can and if we are going to only have the reported £20 million for transfers, then we are going to need there to be some really ropey teams in the Premier League if we are to stay up. £30 million doesn't buy you a great deal in the modern Premier League, while a £40 million budget is seen as quite modest. We can't say too much if Vincent Tan has decided that he wants to pocket all of the promotion money, because the man has kept the club afloat virtually single handedly throughout virtually all of this decade, but, if as I suspect, he's not going to do that, then I see no reason why we can't spend somewhere between those two figures to give us a reasonable chance of surviving - there'll still be more than £40 million left and that's before we even start thinking about parachute payments.
    Agree. There seems to be an assumption that if you spend low, you're spending 'wisely', and if you spend high, you're 'reckless'. Burnley coming back up as they did hasn't been repeated and is unlikely to be, teams in the Championship are spending tens of millions to get promotion but failing miserably. We are here, we've done it, and let's make sure we can hang around a bit longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This.

We a month on from the season and people have already forgotten what brought us promotion. Chucking money around might be exciting but it guarantees nothing.

Spent wisely, it's the closest thing to a guarantee in football..

I doubt whether you could buy more than 3 of relegated Stoke's players for £50m.

There is no point spending stupid money trying to stay in the premier league as it will get you nowhere in the long run (see Sunderland and countless other clubs).

We need to budget sensibly and treat survival as a bonus. Then even if we get relegated we will be one of the strongest teams in the championship and have plenty more chances to get promoted. That's the way we need to look at it and NW has already said that Burnley are the model for clubs like ourselves who have spent the majority of their recent history outside the top flight. We cannot expect to stay at that level after just one promotion; it may take 2 or 3 more for us to become a settled premier league club.

For me there is no pressure on us next season, all of the pressure is on the other sides as they all expect and need to stay at that level to avoid getting into trouble financially. We dont. We are a championship club in terms of budget and if we stay up next season it's another huge triumph against the odds so bring it on already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This.

People are talking as if we only have two options, either rely on Bosmans, loans and Scottish League players or another 2013 style spending splurge. It feels like the discussion is being held in black and white terms, when the sum involved is so big that there is a huge amount of grey in the middle.

I imagine it would be impossible for us to spend the sort of money we would need to "realistically" compete at that level without putting ourselves at risk of being in breach of financial fair play at some point in the near future. I for one do not want us going back down that route again as we have worked hard to rebuild goodwill since those awful cost cutting years under Russell Slade. The club is on a much more secure financial footing these days and I want it to stay that way, regardless of what division we are playing in.

If I had my way I'd bank a large percentate of the money and use some of it to finance another promotion push the following season. Become your archetypal yo yo club if you like. But then thats just me.

We are a Premiership club, in some ways more so than Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield - the CCS feels like a top-flight club when it's full and buzzing.
    No chance.

I think what Bob said is about right, its not one or the other. However looking at what we have and how the premier league played out last season a tight well organised side with a counter attacking option and set plays could well stay up.

Or, we get a proven premier league manager to keep us up. Could be less of a risk.