Just to clarify the position , which is mentioned in several threads on a number of football messageboards.

There is NO winding up order against Aston Villa or its parent company Recon Group UK Ltd.
A winding up order is a court decision which places a company into liquidation and follows a (formal legally drafted) petition by a creditor who is owed money by a company.

Searches of the London Gazette , which is a paper where all petitions made have to be published , shows no petition lodged against either Aston Villa FC or Recon Group Ltd.

I think the media have referred to the risk of HMRC taking the above actions (as they are entitled to over an unpaid debt ) rather than such action has taken place yet. The reference to the money having to be paid within a week may have been leaked from within the club but is likely to be in relation to correspondence from HMRC pointing out that they will start proceedings if the debt due isn`t cleared by a certain date. HMRC may also have got a Statutory Demand out which is a formal legal notice giving the club 21 days to pay an undisputed debt (hence a specific date referral?) failing which they can proceed to the next stage of a winding up petition.

With regard to Aston Villa`s financial position in general , they undoubtedly have problems.

The accounts of Recon Group Limited show a huge loss of £81.2m in the year to 31 May 2016 , even after making a profit on player sales of £34.8m. In my opinion this is astounding as they were in the Premier League that season with all the income that enjoyed (total income was £108.8m). In the year to 31 May 2017 a further , but much reduced, loss of £14.5m after player sales profits of £26.6m was incurred (income was down to £73.8m). Because of their wages structure and continued reduced income levels , I expect their 2018 accounts to show a further loss.

The 2017 accounts also reveal that between 31 May 2017 and 12 February 2018 (the date the accounts were signed off by the board) the club sold players for £22.4m and bought players for £2.9m. In a similar period the previous year they had sold players for £21.0m and bought players for £60.5m.