+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City target Preston North End's Greg Cunningham

Blue in the Face

Cardiff City target Preston North End's Greg Cunningham

Cardiff City target Greg Cunningham (and James McClean)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44380823

Cardiff City are targeting Preston North End's Republic of Ireland defender Greg Cunningham.

Manager Neil Warnock tried to sign Cunningham in 2017-18 and is set to make a fresh move for the 27-year-old.

Cunningham would be Warnock's first signing since promotion to the Premier League.

However he looks set to be thwarted in an attempt to sign James McClean from West Bromwich Albion.

Cardiff had a bid for Cunningham rejected last August.

He has made 103 league appearances for Preston since arriving at Deepdale on a free transfer three years ago and has 12 months remaining on his current contract, with Preston also eager to agree a new deal.

Warnock eyes McClean

Cardiff were also keen on a potential deal for winger McClean, who scored the winning goal for Republic of Ireland against Wales in their World Cup qualifier in October, 2017.

West Brom have turned down a bid from Stoke City for the 59-cap international and, with wages also a factor, Cardiff are refusing to break their budget plans and have turned their attention elsewhere.

Warnock said he had identified potential singings before the Bluebirds sealed their promotion from the Championship last month.

'No big-name, big-time Charlies'

"Vincent (Tan) and the owners know I don't spend silly money, they are aware of that, but at the same time we do need five or six players to add to the squad to give us a chance really," Warnock said following his record eighth-career promotion.

"I've got a great group of lads and I think most of them can play in the Premier League.

"And we need players to supplement that; we won't be signing any big name, big-time Charlies who will disrupt our spirit."

New deals have been offered to midfielders Junior Hoilett and Aron Gunnarsson after their contracts expired.

Wales Under-21s international Cameron Coxe has also been offered a new deal.

Blue in the Face

Re: Cardiff City target Preston North End's Greg Cunningham

Have to say I reckon these deals seem realistic and likely. Warnock (and Cardiff) have been after Cunningham for ages.

Cunningham has one year left on his contract apparently, which should lower the asking price a fair bit...
    https://www.pnefc.net/news/2016/sept...-new-contract/

The same for McClean
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socce...act-until-2019

Cunnignham I can see happening - in fact, as a good quality Championship player who I don't feel would cost a fortune in terms of both fee and wages, he's the sort of signing I would advocate. Not so sure about McClean, but he is a Warnock type player.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cunnignham I can see happening - in fact, as a good quality Championship player who I don't feel would cost a fortune in terms of both fee and wages, he's the sort of signing I would advocate. Not so sure about McClean, but he is a Warnock type player.
    I can imagine Neil being very keen on McClean, but the BBC article says the cost has put us off. If the outlay to bring him here is too big, then given his age, we are unlikely to do that well out of the deal financially over time. Looking elsewhere seems the right move

Blue in the Face

PNE forum thoughts. Unanimous in their rating of Cunningham. A little debate on if he can step up to the PL and if he's worth 1.5m or £7/8m
    http://www.pne-online.net/forum/show...For-Cunningham