+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Report - Championship clubs gambling 99% of revenue to reach the Premier League...

Report - Championship clubs gambling 99% of revenue to reach the Premier League...

...really interesting report from Deloitte's annual review of football finances:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ent-wages.html

- in successive seasons, Newcastle and Wolves gambled with FFP rules but succeeded;
    - in the season just ended, Aston Villa's gamble failed and will face the consequences unless huge cuts are made;
    - In the Premier League, only one club spent more than the recommended 70% of revenue on wages - now who was that, I wonder?

Re: Report - Championship clubs gambling 99% of revenue to reach the Premier League...

The heading to this post should read "99% of revenue on wages"

Re: Report - Championship clubs gambling 99% of revenue to reach the Premier League...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    The heading to this post should read "99% of revenue on wages"
    And if they don't, fans will say they lack ambition.

Considering the club's massive debt it would be sheer folly to gamble disproportionately in the hope of defying the odds and staying up. The very existence of the club could be at stake if it all goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Considering the club's massive debt it would be sheer folly to gamble disproportionately in the hope of defying the odds and staying up. The very existence of the club could be at stake if it all goes wrong.
    this is all the more reason to up our accademy status,as we can't expect to compete in the prem league,with our budget.

Add to that the fact that spending more than we earn each year can only end one way... When Tan came on board my one hope was that the club would become financially secure. I hope we take this opportunity to take a big step towards that.

The Premier League is a pointless league for any Club not in the top 6 and I'd take being relegated right now if we end up a much more stable club in financial terms and maintain the team spirit we have now. Give me the Championship in terms of excitement and uncertainty every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Add to that the fact that spending more than we earn each year can only end one way... When Tan came on board my one hope was that the club would become financially secure. I hope we take this opportunity to take a big step towards that.

The Premier League is a pointless league for any Club not in the top 6 and I'd take being relegated right now if we end up a much more stable club in financial terms and maintain the team spirit we have now. Give me the Championship in terms of excitement and uncertainty every time.
    Leicester City?

Dare I mention debt to equity again? Wouldn't want to be accused of being off topic when the issue is plainly on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Dare I mention debt to equity again? Wouldn't want to be accused of being off topic when the issue is plainly on topic.
    Just make your own thread about it

...really interesting report from Deloitte's annual review of football finances:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ent-wages.html

- in successive seasons, Newcastle and Wolves gambled with FFP rules but succeeded;
    - in the season just ended, Aston Villa's gamble failed and will face the consequences unless huge cuts are made;
    - In the Premier League, only one club spent more than the recommended 70% of revenue on wages - now who was that, I wonder?
    Since no one bothered to read through to the end, the only Prem club in 16/17 that spent in excess of the recommended limit on players' wages was Swansea (at 77%). They were so good at appointing managers and players a few years back p then it all went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Just make your own thread about it
    Even if it is relevant to this thread?

Since no one bothered to read through to the end, the only Prem club in 16/17 that spent in excess of the recommended limit on players' wages was Swansea (at 77%). They were so good at appointing managers and players a few years back p then it all went wrong.
    I can’t imagine all of their players to be on that much. Makes me wonder a) what’s their revenue vs the rest and how much are their star players on