+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: House of Fraser to close in Cardiff

Re: House of Fraser to close in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    These places just can’t compete with online shopping but it hasn’t helped that they haven’t seemed to put any effort in to competing with the online game and just lived off past reputation just my opinion
    John Lewis coming to town wouldnt have helped either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So many incorrect assumptions.
    " You on the other hand have spent the past 18 months trying to defend a bunch of lying crooks"

That's the first one. You found a link yet? Give you a clue, don't waste your morning looking.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    " You on the other hand have spent the past 18 months trying to defend a bunch of lying crooks"

That's the first one. You found a link yet? Give you a clue, don't waste your morning looking.
    Well you haven't once acknowledged that they were trying to rig the election, so I will take your silence as being an endorsement

Anybody on here think the online retailers won't hike prices once they have decimated the oposition, and become a near monopoly?
    That could only happen if there were a small number of online retailers, in reality there are thousands. There is far more competition now than in the heyday of the high street. I buy a lot of stuff online directly from China. The online stores are competing with that as well

International

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I know what you mean, they're springing up everywhere across central Cardiff, seems like the only thing being built at the moment is student digs.
    The expansion of student accommodation in cardiff has reached its limit. I know a company that has done big work on the genre but now say they see no work in the sector going forward, except for small scale stuff.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Probably because I only used to get 50p pocket money.
    50P? Luxury!!!!

Tinternet "SHOPPING", glorified Littlewoods, Grattan catalogues like your mamma used to use.

International

It's not really anonymous though is it? Everybody knows that Nick is the original Croesy Blue!
    Can you explain to me exactly how you "KNOW" that anyone is someone else? Are you psychic, do you have access to MM's database? Are you guessing?

I see people say someone is a previous poster under a new name all the time.
    How do you know? Or are you just saying it because you think it and hoping if you say it often enough it will be come the truth?
    By the way I don't give a toss about either of them just curious as to your amazing insight!

Oh and while we're on the subject how many previous personas have you had on here, and what names were they????

Well you haven't once acknowledged that they were trying to rig the election, so I will take your silence as being an endorsement
    I hope you realise how lame this sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    50P? Luxury!!!!
    I had to do 2 hours of chores a day to get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Nothing should happen, because it's a message board where people take the piss. Everyone is posting under an anonymous name so wind your neck in precious.
    Keep your nose out fella.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    50P? Luxury!!!!
    Pocket money in decimal. Whatever next? I think I got 6d or (drumroll) a shilling. Yep a whole shilling. 2d on the bus to town, a swim and the bus back, came to about 7d.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The last time I can remember shopping in there was about 15 years ago. Ive been there since - and it's so expensive compared to other shops selling similar items. Online, global markets, better transportation etc - have brought everything closer to hand.

I always had the impression that they added on 70% of the cost - just to be 'exclusive'. Obviously times moved on - and customers have gone elsewhere - they failed to adapt - which is strange as they have Chinese owners , who you'd think would be on the ball with online and what sells or not.

Converted to smaller shops on the ground floor I would think, and maybe hotel above. The problem being St mary street is a drunken zoo most Fridays and Saturday nights and not exactly very civilised. So I dont think Claridges will be interested, maybe The Wynford Mark II perhaps
    C4 maybe?

Always sad when a high street name is struggling and there are going to be job losses .
    It's always going to be difficult to compete city centres aren't as important as they used to be. You can get everything you want from industrial estates and supermarkets who have much stronger buying power.

You can alway's find the same thing cheaper on the Internet and as great as that is for the consumer the reason why is because aren't needing as many staff.

I don't know what the answer is you feel that we are on the cusp of hardtimes and maybe we don't appreciate how fortunate we are. I'm not sure Brexit is going to be completely responsible. People are always going to look to blame government for these things but ultimately I'm not sure how much impact they can have. A lot of the Internet companies have been getting away with massive tax perks for far too long. Councils may need to reduxing rent in city centres down to keep retailers there. I'm not sure how sustainable keeping such a growing country in full Time jobs is possible

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Keep your nose out fella.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Always sad when a high street name is struggling and there are going to be job losses .
    It's always going to be difficult to compete city centres aren't as important as they used to be. You can get everything you want from industrial estates and supermarkets who have much stronger buying power.

You can alway's find the same thing cheaper on the Internet and as great as that is for the consumer the reason why is because aren't needing as many staff.

I don't know what the answer is you feel that we are on the cusp of hardtimes and maybe we don't appreciate how fortunate we are. I'm not sure Brexit is going to be completely responsible. People are always going to look to blame government for these things but ultimately I'm not sure how much impact they can have. A lot of the Internet companies have been getting away with massive tax perks for far too long. Councils may need to reduxing rent in city centres down to keep retailers there. I'm not sure how sustainable keeping such a growing country in full Time jobs is possible
    City centres obviously will change dramatically in the foreseeable future, online shopping is seeing to it, and we all use online services (except the ccmb god squad) thus we are all complicit with the high street demise, centres will continue to develop into for most, non affordable housing & student blocks for those with affluent parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    City centres obviously will change dramatically in the foreseeable future, online shopping is seeing to it, and we all use online services (except the ccmb god squad) thus we are all complicit with the high street demise, centres will continue to develop into for most, non affordable housing & student blocks for those with affluent parents.
    Student blocks are also aimed at foreign students, who pay more in fees anyway.

Areas of Cardiff have sadly turned into student ghettos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    NO WE DON'T

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Tinternet "SHOPPING", glorified Littlewoods, Grattan catalogues like your mamma used to use.
    No it isn't. I pop to the shops, spot the things I want to buy, go online and get them a lot cheaper. I'm not paying towards the retail shops rent, staff, electricity, rates etc etc.

In the same way, many people moved from the high street for food shopping and into the supermarkets. Cheaper because they could buy in bulk. This is just the next stage of the evolution of retail. In 20-30 years something will replace what we currently see as new and innovative. No doubt HoF's expansion was at the expense of smaller businesses, or businesses that were old fashioned.

Why spend extra money on something that you can get at a more reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

With retail, I would say that the internet is the main reason that high street shops are struggling. The best tool they have to fight this is "click and collect" - whilst inconvenient it gets people into their stores to pick up something they bought online. HoF offer this, but you must spend £30 to get the service free. That is unjustifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    No it isn't. I pop to the shops, spot the things I want to buy, go online and get them a lot cheaper. I'm not paying towards the retail shops rent, staff, electricity, rates etc etc.

In the same way, many people moved from the high street for food shopping and into the supermarkets. Cheaper because they could buy in bulk. This is just the next stage of the evolution of retail. In 20-30 years something will replace what we currently see as new and innovative. No doubt HoF's expansion was at the expense of smaller businesses, or businesses that were old fashioned.

Why spend extra money on something that you can get at a more reasonable price?
    Listen shit for brains, I get my car, van, house insurance, all shopping, + hotels cheaper by TALKING to people than you do clicking a button on the tinternet.

I do opposite to you, I look it up first, then I go to the shop or on the phone and get it cheaper than on the net.

+ Vinnie can take his time as well.

NO WE DON'T
    I didn't have you in the ccmb god squad Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Nope.

Listen shit for brains, I get my car, van, house insurance, all shopping, + hotels cheaper by TALKING to people than you do clicking a button on the tinternet.

I do opposite to you, I look it up first, then I go to the shop or on the phone and get it cheaper than on the net.

+ Vinnie can take his time as well.
    I'm sure you do Einstein.