+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: House of Fraser to close in Cardiff

House of Fraser to close in Cardiff

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44394948

Closing 31 if it’s 59 shops.

6000 jobs to go. Very, sad.

Re: House of Fraser to close in Cardiff

Another major nail in the high street coffin. We need to sort out a fair balance between high street and internet taxes otherwise we will lose the Centres of our Cities.

Cardiff is already starting to struggle with the number of homeless people on its streets. Start shutting down stores on a large scale and it’ll be finished.

Really sad. Iconic building.
    Remember having breakfast with santa there 35 years ago.
    No David Morgan or howells

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Really sad. Iconic building.
    Remember having breakfast with santa there 35 years ago.
    No David Morgan or howells
    That's sort of the problem though, i have fond memories of shopping in there in my youth, 22 years ago.

Who shops in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    That's sort of the problem though, i have fond memories of shopping in there in my youth, 22 years ago.

Who shops in there now.
    Mrs Monk sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Who shops in there now.
    Most of the shops in there have there own shops elsewhere don’t they? Such a huge building I wonder what will become of it....hotel? Bars etc... with flats above

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Most of the shops in there have there own shops elsewhere don’t they? Such a huge building I wonder what will become of it....hotel? Bars etc... with flats above
    I worry about what is driving footfall into the City Centre now, with most retail activity moving online. It's a real concern for those of us who value the Centres of our Towns and Cities. For Cardiff I guess food and drink will remain a focus. I'm pleased I don't own a property in the Centre though as I can see things deteriorating rapidly over the next few years with all the uncertainty over Brexit and the state of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I worry about what is driving footfall into the City Centre now, with most retail activity moving online. It's a real concern for those of us who value the Centres of our Towns and Cities. For Cardiff I guess food and drink will remain a focus. I'm pleased I don't own a property in the Centre though as I can see things deteriorating rapidly over the next few years with all the uncertainty over Brexit and the state of the economy.
    I think the retail sector would have drastically changed, Brexit or not

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I agree - it had already changed - but Brexit is choking investment right now as no-one is sure what is going to happen. The next 5 years at least are going to be a real shit period for the UK I believe. I just hope we are not too damaged when the final outcome is known.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Yes, it's the internet that is driving retail now.

I agree - it had already changed - but Brexit is choking investment right now as no-one is sure what is going to happen. The next 5 years at least are going to be a real shit period for the UK I believe. I just hope we are not too damaged when the final outcome is known.
    Brexit is going to be the most painful decision ever taken in my opinion. The fact that the Government still seems in conflict with itself is not a good sign.

I think 5 years of a real shit period is optimistic. I reckon 'more like 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44394948

Closing 31 if it’s 59 shops.

6000 jobs to go. Very, sad.
    Cwmbran as well

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Cwmbran as well
    Cwmbran has a HoF? Blimey, they're going up market (or were until the HoF closure was announced). When I lived in Cwmbran in 1975, the biggest and best shop they had was called Woolco. It was basically a giant Woolworths.

I was also surprised to learn that Cwmbranistan had one. It's more of a Poundworld town. Speaking of which.

Poundworld on brink of administration putting 5,300 jobs at risk - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44398352

Besides that everything seems fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Brexit is going to be the most painful decision ever taken in my opinion. The fact that the Government still seems in conflict with itself is not a good sign.

Thats cheered me right up.

Another major nail in the high street coffin. We need to sort out a fair balance between high street and internet taxes otherwise we will lose the Centres of our Cities.

Cardiff is already starting to struggle with the number of homeless people on its streets. Start shutting down stores on a large scale and it’ll be finished.
    If the town centres close down where are the scrounge...I mean homeless going to be able to beg from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Besides that everything seems fine?
    Now you mention it... ��

If you want to see what a town centre looks like when it falls into decline, through lack of investment and interest, get your self down the M4 to Swansea where they have built a full sized working exhibit

It is their own town centre.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I'm guessing smaller retail units and maybe new arcades on the ground floor with either residential or a hotel use on the upper floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Cwmbran has a HoF? Blimey, they're going up market (or were until the HoF closure was announced). When I lived in Cwmbran in 1975, the biggest and best shop they had was called Woolco. It was basically a giant Woolworths.
    HoF has been in Cwmbran since 1964 - only 54 years, that's all. Your memory is obviously playing tricks with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

The fact that Her Majesty's opposition flip flop on their stance every other week doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I was also surprised to learn that Cwmbranistan had one. It's more of a Poundworld town. Speaking of which.

Poundworld on brink of administration putting 5,300 jobs at risk - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44398352
    You really are an uneducated buffoon aren't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm guessing smaller retail units and maybe new arcades on the ground floor with either residential or a hotel use on the upper floors.
    Probably this, exactly like what they did with the David Morgan store.

Used to love the Howell's summer sales years ago, got some really good bargains over the years.