+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Am I reading this right that we can loan as many players as we want?

Am I reading this right that we can loan as many players as we want?

Loans between Premier Leage clubs and other English counterparts are officially called temporary transfers.

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2017/18 (Download PDF, size: 46.1MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

They are:
    - Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
    - The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
    - Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
    - A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club

With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas.

Re: Am I reading this right that we can loan as many players as we want?

You can read that a number of ways, not all in our favour. I think the intent is obviously that we can't say that English clubs are under a different fa so we can loan as many as we like

International

I'm sorry to be pedantic but shirley we want to borrow players from Premier clubs not loan players to them?

No I think it just means we stick to the 2 from other premier league clubs. I think because it’s an unrestricted number from other countries so it’s just clarifying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You can read that a number of ways, not all in our favour. I think the intent is obviously that we can't say that English clubs are under a different fa so we can loan as many as we like
    This is correct. Since technically when we sign players it's an international transfer, any players we loan from English clubs would normally count as an international loan, and so would not count towards the two player limit. So that clause in red has been inserted to say we have to abide by the two player loan rule.