+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joe Bennett - £2m to Fulham?

Joe Bennett - £2m to Fulham?

Re: Joe Bennett - £2m to Fulham?

If Joe is in the last year of his contract then we need him to sign up otherwise we should sell. Hope he does extend.

If not i can see us paying much more than 2m to replace him with Cunningham.

This will be down to him and the draw of London .

Fulham love our fullbacks didn't they take the mighty Malone ,we should do what the other big clubs do and bid for one of theirs.

I do wonder though if Warnock might off load ,Bennett has had his up and downs with him .

They tried this last season and it didnt work. Why would he go now ?. Bennett also played 41 games for us last season - hardly the record of someone who didnt have the trust and admiration of his manager. Warnock actually stated towards the end of the season that he was one of the first names on the team sheet. Just paper talk in my opinion. Trust BIS to pick this up - this must be his new stategy after failing with his debt to equity obsession.

Sign him up now. £2m is a steal. Bad business for us.

Into his last year of the contract, surely it’s his agent trying to get him a better deal?

Never understood the whole release clause thing, who is it that negotiates them (I would guess the agent) and why do we agree to them? £2m in this market is nowhere near enough. I do tend to agree though that we need to offer him a new contract, and he either signs it or he goes there (which would be disappointing as we'd struggle to find a replacement as good for cheap).

Maybe a condition of him deciding to stay with us last year was that he would not sign a new deal and still be available for that £2 million this summer?

Of course, things changed for the better for us and Fulham since they last came in for Bennett, but if he is motivated entirely by wages (something which his decision to stay with us last year would suggest is not the case), then Fulham will, almost certainly, be able to top anything we could offer - however it all works out in the end, you'd like to think we will be offering him a new contract soon.

Fulham tried 10 months ago and Joe Bennett rejected them despite the offer of more money. If he was committed to the club and city back then, how much more will that be true now after a promotion, his manager's confidence and so many starts in the team.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-13495656

Fulham are supposedly trying to sign Matt Targett on a permanent deal - and if so he would surely be their first choice LB after the second half of the season they/he had?

I would be very surprised if Joe Bennett left this summer. I would not be surprised at all if he signed an improved contract with no buy out clause (or a much much higher trigger fee).

He's a good player and one I feel can make the step up to the PL along with a few others.
    Hope he stays.

I’m surprised as we play 19thC football according to them (courtesy WOL comments section)

On a serious note, I think Fulham see him as cover and so we should normally be safe but our Cunningham interest makes his decision less obvious. I’d still expect Joe to be the shirt holder if we signed Greg but it does raise concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe a condition of him deciding to stay with us last year was that he would not sign a new deal and still be available for that £2 million this summer?

Of course, things changed for the better for us and Fulham since they last came in for Bennett, but if he is motivated entirely by wages (something which his decision to stay with us last year would suggest is not the case), then Fulham will, almost certainly, be able to top anything we could offer - however it all works out in the end, you'd like to think we will be offering him a new contract soon.
    My thoughts too Paul.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    He's a good player and one I feel can make the step up to the PL along with a few others.
    Hope he stays.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Wasn't one of his reasons for staying because his partner was giving birth around that time and a move would have been too unsettling. I've been nervous about this clause for a while and if the Fulham interest is real then it could be a concern.

But there is plenty to be optimistic about. Fulham actually look a much weaker proposition than they did at the end of last season. The fact that they've lost Fredericks doesn't support the story that they were going to throw money at the PL this year. They've also lost Targett, Mitrovic, Ojo, Norwood and Piazon. They might spend a bunch this window simply attempting to build a squad that was is somewhere close to the one that came third in the champ.

It all sounds like his agent trying to get him a better deal,or bored journalism he does not want to leave Cardiff by the sounds of it, a s I don’t see fulham offering much more wages than Cardiff,

I'd like to think Joe would stay. Looking at Fulham as impressive as they were last season they had a number of loan players who made key contribution's with Cardiff we had loan players but they certainly weren't key were more to bolster squad . I think 2 mill would be good business for them though if they get him

Aren’t Fulham looking for a right back though after losing fredericks ?

Last weeks 'scoop' on Wales Online (copied from the Daily Mail) was that Fulham were ready to sign Joe Bennett by activating the £2m release clause in his contract. Now their latest headline is that actually Bennett no longer has this clause in his contract and City will not consider selling him to Fulham anyway !. You would have thought that they would have checked their facts before issuing the story in the first place. They are one of the laziest group of journalists I have ever come across. Good news on Bennett anyway for us. Murphy and Bennett on the left would be a good combination with Hoilett and Zohore further forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Last weeks 'scoop' on Wales Online (copied from the Daily Mail) was that Fulham were ready to sign Joe Bennett by activating the £2m release clause in his contract. Now their latest headline is that actually Bennett no longer has this clause in his contract and City will not consider selling him to Fulham anyway !. You would have thought that they would have checked their facts before issuing the story in the first place. They are one of the laziest group of journalists I have ever come across. Good news on Bennett anyway for us. Murphy and Bennett on the left would be a good combination with Hoilett and Zohore further forward.
    They are terrible. They copied the story about the Visit Malaysia sponsorship deal from here

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    To be fair the Mail sport is usually pretty spot on, shame about the front of the paper.

I thought he had signed a new deal to remove the clause just after they tried to sign him last year too. So good news if it has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    To be fair the Mail sport is usually pretty spot on, shame about the front of the paper.

I thought he had signed a new deal to remove the clause just after they tried to sign him last year too. So good news if it has been removed.
    I'd imagine he could sign for a "Higher Division Club" or words to that effect. Great news either way, and I'd certainly offer him a new deal anyway.