+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Ignore" function

The "Ignore" function

As we know, the board goes a bit dead in the close season (even cricket lovers have little to debate as most agree Glam and England are pony) so thought this might be a good time to pose a question which has had me suffering from mild insomnia in the past.

Ive never really 'got' the ignore function, perhaps I'm missing something?

The reason for joining and participating in a message board to me was to share views with like-minded people, that is, football fans.

Whether football related posts, some other sport or any subject really, I see it a place to share views... a bit like being down the pub.
    I've heard a few people, not many, say "I've put you on ignore" and I wondered what they get out of this.

Isn't it reasonable that, if someone has a different view to yours, you either reply to it or just accept that it's a person's view, which they are entitled to, and leave it at that.

I've seen many posts which I am either not interested in and I don't contribute, I am not really interested in but read and sometimes do contribute.
    Some I am interested in but might not contribute and others where I am very interested in and do contribute.

What I don't see the point of though, is having somebody on ignore and not seeing what they are saying. Aren't people just living in ignorance?

Also, if you do have somebody on Ignore and he/She replies to a posting, do you not to get to see that reply as well as other replies to that person, wouldn't one just lose the gist and direction of the thread?

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but I cannot see any benefit in having somebody on "ignore"

Edit:
    Just realised I am putting my head above the parapet here... if nobody replies to this, am I on "ignore" from everyone?

Re: The "Ignore" function

What did he say?

I don't know i have him on ignore

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    As we know, the board goes a bit dead in the close season (even cricket lovers have little to debate as most agree Glam and England are pony) so thought this might be a good time to pose a question which has had me suffering from mild insomnia in the past.

The reason for joining and participating in a message board to me was to share views with like-minded people, that is, football fans.

Whether football related posts, some other sport or any subject really, I see it a place to share views... a bit like being down the pub.
    I've heard a few people, not many, say "I've put you on ignore" and I wondered what they get out of this.

Isn't it reasonable that, if someone has a different view to yours, you either reply to it or just accept that it's a person's view, which they are entitled to, and leave it at that.

I've seen many posts which I am either not interested in and I don't contribute, I am not really interested in but read and sometimes do contribute.
    Some I am interested in but might not contribute and others where I am very interested in and do contribute.

What I don't see the point of though, is having somebody on ignore and not seeing what they are saying. Aren't people just living in ignorance?

Also, if you do have somebody on Ignore and he/She replies to a posting, do you not to get to see that reply as well as other replies to that person, wouldn't one just lose the gist and direction of the thread?

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but I cannot see any benefit in having somebody on "ignore"

Edit:
    Just realised I am putting my head above the parapet here... if nobody replies to this, am I on "ignore" from everyone?
    The ignore function is really good. I would say 60% of the posters here are more interested in personal spats than discussing topics. I am adding people to my ignore list on a daily basis, it makes the forum more habitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The ignore function is really good. I would say 60% of the posters here are more interested in personal spats than discussing topics. I am adding people to my ignore list on a daily basis, it makes the forum more habitable.
    You wont have anybody to communicate with on here then soon and will just be talking to yourself. Not that that will stop you of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What did he say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I don't know i have him on ignore

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You wont have anybody to communicate with on here then soon and will just be talking to yourself. Not that that will stop you of course.
    It'll end up ignoring themselves tbh.

This I do not get at all though BIS.
    The only thing I can think of why these spats occur is because somebody is on a wind up.
    It is usually obvious when this is the case and you either contribute to the thread or ignore the thread.

So when you have people on Ignore, as you have said you have, do you get to see anything that poster has said, say if somebody you don't have on ignore replies to that post?

The only thing I can think of why these spats occur is because somebody is on a wind up.
    It is usually obvious when this is the case and you either contribute to the thread or ignore the thread.

So when you have people on Ignore, as you have said you have, do you get to see anything that poster has said, say if somebody you don't have on ignore replies to that post?
    He doesn’t have anybody on ignore. His ego won’t allow it - although if he did and could get to 100% at least he’d be right all the time and wouldn’t need to continually make himself look stupid with his intransigence

Basically he likes to dish it out,but can’t take it back.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What did he say?
    Who was that message for? I didn't see any other post!

These "spats" occur because someone is on the windup. Usually the first person to throw an insult, or change a post into one about personalities and not about the topic. If someone comes back with an insult that is witty, I tend to laugh along with that. If the insult is more personal, or just poorly thought out, then that person goes on ignore.

What do I see.

OK, so in this thread I see things like

Today, 11:49
    dml1954
    Reserve

This message is hidden because dml1954 is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

In this thread alone, I have ccfc_is_my_life, Hartley, and Straight Out of Canton on my ignore list. Let me know if they replied to this post by answering your question, or whether their comments were more about personalities than the subject matter. If it is the latter, I suppose it's because I am on a wind-up or trolling. If it is the latter, then it means the ignore function works fine for me because I am no longer wasting my time reading their stuff.

You can usually see comments by ignored posters if quoted by someone else.

Of course, that's also a convenient excuse for people claiming to be "ignoring" to have knowledge of "ignored" posters comments without logging onto another account.

Thanks for the explanation but sorry BIS, I refuse to get dragged into what would almost certainly end up as another one of these spats by saying whether they replied or not.

Ignore does seem like throwing your toys out of the pram but I suppose it takes all sorts to make the world go round and boring if we were all the same.

These "spats" occur because someone is on the windup. Usually the first person to throw an insult, or change a post into one about personalities and not about the topic. If someone comes back with an insult that is witty, I tend to laugh along with that. If the insult is more personal, or just poorly thought out, then that person goes on ignore.

What do I see.

OK, so in this thread I see things like

Today, 11:49
    dml1954
    Reserve

This message is hidden because dml1954 is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

In this thread alone, I have ccfc_is_my_life, Hartley, and Straight Out of Canton on my ignore list. Let me know if they replied to this post by answering your question, or whether their comments were more about personalities than the subject matter. If it is the latter, I suppose it's because I am on a wind-up or trolling. If it is the latter, then it means the ignore function works fine for me because I am no longer wasting my time reading their stuff.
    You are a strange one for sure

Still sends PMs though 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Still sends PMs though 🤣
    🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for the explanation but sorry BIS, I refuse to get dragged into what would almost certainly end up as another one of these spats by saying whether they replied or not.

Ignore does seem like throwing your toys out of the pram but I suppose it takes all sorts to make the world go round and boring if we were all the same.
    No worries. I wasn't asking you to relay back to me, by the way, but I was trying to highlight that I am not actually missing anything by putting certain people on ignore because they engage purely in personalities and not in topics.

Putting certain people on ignore is the best option for me - and probably for the whole board too because who wants to see two tosspots giving it large on a computer forum (I include myself as one of those tosspots).

No worries. I wasn't asking you to relay back to me, by the way, but I was trying to highlight that I am not actually missing anything by putting certain people on ignore because they engage purely in personalities and not in topics.

Putting certain people on ignore is the best option for me - and probably for the whole board too because who wants to see two tosspots giving it large on a computer forum (I include myself as one of those tosspots).
    So given you're a self-admitted tosspot, you're claiming nobody wants to see you giving it large and thus you should be ignored, hmm?

Edit:
    Great post. BIS posts something, maybe to get bites, maybe not, who knows, who cares? Some of the questions he asks are pertinent in my opinion, I think that he's pretty pissed off with how things have turned out, and maybe he should think of giving this place a swerve as there rarely is any end product. Personally, whether he's is looking for a bite or not doesn't concern me, it doesn't make me angry or the need to insult him, it doesn't really matter. I'm going to be cynical for a second and presume that BIS is casting the fishing rod, if that's is the case, then we have some of the stupidest fish in football messageboard history, as it seems to be the same scaly idiots that get hooked-every time. If Paul Whitehouse decides to re-invent The Fast Show, he could do a lot worse than to visit this place for his material and new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great post. BIS posts something, maybe to get bites, maybe not, who knows, who cares? Some of the questions he asks are pertinent in my opinion, I think that he's pretty pissed off with how things have turned out, and maybe he should think of giving this place a swerve as there rarely is any end product. Personally, whether he's is looking for a bite or not doesn't concern me, it doesn't make me angry or the need to insult him, it doesn't really matter. I'm going to be cynical for a second and presume that BIS is casting the fishing rod, if that's is the case, then we have some of the stupidest fish in football messageboard history, as it seems to be the same scaly idiots that get hooked-every time. If Paul Whitehouse decides to re-invent The Fast Show, he could do a lot worse than to visit this place for his material and new characters.
    It's a sign of the times that internet forums are now echo chambers, and any voice of opposition is seen as being a wind-up merchant or a troll or both. I think people have found a new degree of sensitivity.

A while back, I would get embroiled in the personal insults by trying to steer things back to my original points - it's ironic that I was being blamed for being a troll (errr, check the definition of a troll guys), and lately I have been accused of derailing threads - like that's never happened before. By putting the usual suspects on ignore, I am actively trying to avoid the he said he said type of crap that is dragging this forum down (and, yes, I am guilty of that too).

It's strange though (and I'm not accusing you here Tuerto, you're one of the well balanced people here, though that's because you have no chips on your shoulders. I have a chip on both) that this thread started off as a question about the ignore function and has seemingly become a post about me. I can only hazard a guess at what the ignored posters contributed, but it doesn't appear to be about the main topic. Fecking trolls

The amusing thing is - some of the ones on my ignore list are the ones who keep banging on about the Wurzle who posts here. The Wurzle is labelled obsessed, yet even in his absence the fish wriggle around asking to get caught.

It's a sign of the times that internet forums are now echo chambers, and any voice of opposition is seen as being a wind-up merchant or a troll or both. I think people have found a new degree of sensitivity.

A while back, I would get embroiled in the personal insults by trying to steer things back to my original points - it's ironic that I was being blamed for being a troll (errr, check the definition of a troll guys), and lately I have been accused of derailing threads - like that's never happened before. By putting the usual suspects on ignore, I am actively trying to avoid the he said he said type of crap that is dragging this forum down (and, yes, I am guilty of that too).

It's strange though (and I'm not accusing you here Tuerto, you're one of the well balanced people here, though that's because you have no chips on your shoulders. I have a chip on both) that this thread started off as a question about the ignore function and has seemingly become a post about me. I can only hazard a guess at what the ignored posters contributed, but it doesn't appear to be about the main topic. Fecking trolls

The amusing thing is - some of the ones on my ignore list are the ones who keep banging on about the Wurzle who posts here. The Wurzle is labelled obsessed, yet even in his absence the fish wriggle around asking to get caught.
    Ah, I see your point, although I wasn't trying to make the post about you. I sort of agree with the OP. Anyway, I have no problem with you or the subject of your posts, it's not my club and I don't feel the need to defend it or attack you because you may have a different viewpoint ( In many cases I agree) Problem on here is that some people like to throw insults and insult a persons character. I don't like that.

It is quite a spectacle watching BIS trying to take the moral high ground after all the anti - Cardiff propaganda he has been peddling in recent months/years. I would have been quite happy to have a reasoned, reasonable argument with him about a number of topics but he has always totally ignored what everyone who disagrees with him posts, both on a factual and logical basis, so I finally came to the decision that it was a waste of time engaging with him in the way that he wanted. I also decided that he was deliberately trying to incite arguments and 'fish' and he appears to admit above that this is exactly what he has been doing. Bearing all that in mind, I see no reason why I shouldn't tell him what I think of him every time he posts his 'rubbish' on this board. I make no apologies for this as it is obviously the only type of language he understands (I have never sworn at him or personally insulted him using crude language). He cant take it either, even though he regularly gives it out, as evidenced by the fact that I (and a number of others) are now on ignore list.

PS. What sort of people regularly come onto a football clubs messageboard to forensically analyse and criticise their performance, finances, players, manager and owner when they dont actually support the club involved ?.

Man with half the board on ignore calls this place an echo chamber

People don’t interact with you because they don’t like your views BIS they don’t interact with you because you’re a weirdo. People debate with TLG with no real issues.