As we know, the board goes a bit dead in the close season (even cricket lovers have little to debate as most agree Glam and England are pony) so thought this might be a good time to pose a question which has had me suffering from mild insomnia in the past.

Ive never really 'got' the ignore function, perhaps I'm missing something?

The reason for joining and participating in a message board to me was to share views with like-minded people, that is, football fans.

Whether football related posts, some other sport or any subject really, I see it a place to share views... a bit like being down the pub.
I've heard a few people, not many, say "I've put you on ignore" and I wondered what they get out of this.

Isn't it reasonable that, if someone has a different view to yours, you either reply to it or just accept that it's a person's view, which they are entitled to, and leave it at that.

I've seen many posts which I am either not interested in and I don't contribute, I am not really interested in but read and sometimes do contribute.
Some I am interested in but might not contribute and others where I am very interested in and do contribute.

What I don't see the point of though, is having somebody on ignore and not seeing what they are saying. Aren't people just living in ignorance?

Also, if you do have somebody on Ignore and he/She replies to a posting, do you not to get to see that reply as well as other replies to that person, wouldn't one just lose the gist and direction of the thread?

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but I cannot see any benefit in having somebody on "ignore"

Edit:
Just realised I am putting my head above the parapet here... if nobody replies to this, am I on "ignore" from everyone?