+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Murphy rumour

Re: Josh Murphy rumour

Not surprised at this move whatsoever. Had Norwich watched before we played them near the end of the season when they played Villa. Murphy was the stand out player on the day, scoring a sublime goal during the course of the game. Was that concerned about him that our fullbacks had specific man marking duties on the day for him. Waxed lyrical about him on more than one occasion. 2 footed, pacey and can play off either wing or down the middle. Young, with the potential to improve under our management. Fee a tad high, but that's the British market and the going rate for higher standard championship players nowadays. He's got something to prove, even if it's only to his sibling, which is a good thing in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

If we have Callum Patterson as our number 10 in the Premier League than its going to be a long old season.
    That concerns me to be fair! However if this deal goes through, maybe Murphy is seen by our management for exactly this position. More than likely imo.

You say every single player can pass and move if that was the tactics employed, but then say we wouldnt have got promoted this way, because you know the players are not good enough to play that style.

They werent good enough in the Championship to play that way, and certainly wont be able to in the Premier League. We have good hard working players, but very few are technically gifted.

If we have Callum Patterson as our number 10 in the Premier League than its going to be a long old season.
    Well obviously there would be a difference between playing possession football and getting success from it. Some people seem to genuinely think players earning thousands a week at a championship club can't pass the ball and that's just not the case.

Can we play tiki taka, no. Could we have far more possession than we currently average, yes I'm quite sure we are more than capable.

Adding a couple of neat tidy passers into the squad won't help us, we need to go all in on being defensively solid and countering at speed and as such I'm happy with this potential signing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I this the lad that scored the "WONDER GOAL" against Asbin Cilla ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    ****ing hell that's bad
    Do you mean Micheal Jackson "BAD" or bad, bad

You say every single player can pass and move if that was the tactics employed, but then say we wouldnt have got promoted this way, because you know the players are not good enough to play that style.

They werent good enough in the Championship to play that way, and certainly wont be able to in the Premier League. We have good hard working players, but very few are technically gifted.

I agree and yes you don't have to be iniesta to pass the ball a few yards and move into space, however you do need to be better that Lee Peltier and Paterson to make the right decisions of who to pass to and what run to make to move the opposition.

We are very basic as a team (at least with the ball we are) and that's fine it's enabled us to punch way above our weight last season.

I do share your concerns about surrendering possession next season though. We all remember how teams used Ben Turner to get the ball back quickly when we were there last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Well obviously there would be a difference between playing possession football and getting success from it. Some people seem to genuinely think players earning thousands a week at a championship club can't pass the ball and that's just not the case.

Can we play tiki taka, no. Could we have far more possession than we currently average, yes I'm quite sure we are more than capable.

Adding a couple of neat tidy passers into the squad won't help us, we need to go all in on being defensively solid and countering at speed and as such I'm happy with this potential signing.
    As Gringo says theres a difference between able to pass the ball, and pass it with purpose, moving the opposition around.

Sol Bamba is on thousands per week, he cant pass (Even though he thinks he can), and nearly always put us in trouble when he tried to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree and yes you don't have to be iniesta to pass the ball a few yards and move into space, however you do need to be better that Lee Peltier and Paterson to make the right decisions of who to pass to and what run to make to move the opposition.

We are very basic as a team (at least with the ball we are) and that's fine it's enabled us to punch way above our weight last season.

I do share your concerns about surrendering possession next season though. We all remember how teams used Ben Turner to get the ball back quickly when we were there last time.
    Ben Turner, give the ball away, then get cheered for putting his body on the line to win back the ball that he had just given away cheaply in the first place. Crazy.

Anyway, back on topic I think this is a great signing. Hes got pace, quality and is the right age. If we do go back down these are the type of signings we need to make to give us chance of getting straight back up.

Would love us to get his team mate James Maddison but hes going to go for big money, and Everton are sniffing around by all accounts.

Great points JR 👍

As Gringo says theres a difference between able to pass the ball, and pass it with purpose, moving the opposition around.

Sol Bamba is on thousands per week, he cant pass (Even though he thinks he can), and nearly always put us in trouble when he tried to play out.
    Which is kind of what I'm saying.

Although I'm again sure Bamba can pass if he keeps it simple, he struggles with that and tries to do more than a cb needs to.

I guess ultimately I'm just happy for us to try to improve what we are good at as a little bit more possession whilst sacrificing what we do well isn't going to help us in a league where everyone can keep the ball. We need to do something different to what Stoke, West brom and Swansea did as they can all pass the ball well but clearly lacked something to compete.

Our team is pretty much built to defend well and counter attack at pace.

Anyway, back on topic I think this is a great signing. Hes got pace, quality and is the right age. If we do go back down these are the type of signings we need to make to give us chance of getting straight back up.

Would love us to get his team mate James Maddison but hes going to go for big money, and Everton are sniffing around by all accounts.

Good post. The fee is probably £6m upfront and besides if he has a good season with us and we go down ,the club will at least get the money back.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I seem to remember saying he erratic down here - he'd look dangerous and was tying Bruno up in knots at times, but, rather like his team on the night, there wasn't much of an end product.

One reason why I said what I did about Murphy is because, based on what I'd seen of him, I thought he was better than that.

Quite a few classy moments in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GMW0hXX8k
    Scored against Arsenal and Everton in that, has scored with both feet from distance too. He's absolutely rapid and is certainly better than Ward, Wildschut etc. Worst case scenario, we're signing a good player in the Champ. He's been labelled inconsistent but show me a winger that isn't. This wll surely put the Snodgrass rumour to bed.

If we can sign someone to give ball to him and hopefully Hoilett, then we might be in business. As JR says, we absolutely cannot go into next season with Gunnar, Paterson and Ralls. As much as I love Gunnar, I'm really not sure we should be keeping him on. I'd love Maddison but worry if he'd get on the ball, and perhaps we'd be better signing a more ball playing "8", who can compliment Ralls. Obviously we could sign both players (which I'd like) but not sure if Warnock will change his spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Good post. The fee is probably £6m upfront and besides if he has a good season with us and we go down ,the club will at least get the money back.
    If we go down, I have a feeling we'll try and keep him to get back up. If he has a really good season, we'll make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If we go down, I have a feeling we'll try and keep him to get back up. If he has a really good season, we'll make a profit.
    I hope and pray he will turn our to be a good signing but £11m for someone who couldn't maintain a regular place at Norwich seems mad.....

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I hope and pray he will turn our to be a good signing but £11m for someone who couldn't maintain a regular place at Norwich seems mad.....
    I'm hoping this is a case of different players suiting different systems. As others have said our setup will try to be hard to break down with huge pace up front. If he has this pace and some ability to dribble and shoot, then I think he sounds like a decent upgrade on what we currently have.

I’d go and knock one out if we signed him

But as you’ve said we need to plan for the future and every signing we make needs to put us in a good position of coming back up if it so happens we go down

Ben Turner, give the ball away, then get cheered for putting his body on the line to win back the ball that he had just given away cheaply in the first place. Crazy.
    You've just described Gunnarsson as well

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    34 starts and 7 as a sub is about as regular as you can be in a 46 game season. Especially at such a young age.

More appearances than ralls made for us.

Would have preferred Woodburn or Harry Wilson but it shows Tan is backing Warnock,just hope he’s not another Madine or Tomlin!

£11m? INMO not the best use of a half of our budget it is it a third or of £11m.

I’d rather see good money spent on a midfielder and striker than a flaky winger - we don’t need another Noone

Also at that price if we were to be relagated who would want him?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    £11m? INMO not the best use of a half of our budget it is it a third or of £11m.

I’d rather see good money spent on a midfielder and striker than a flaky winger - we don’t need another Noone

Also at that price if we were to be relagated who would want him?

I'm sure the fee is structured in a way that will be heavily dependent on if we stay up next season. I would guess it’s £5/£6M up front.

I prefer this kind of money to be spent on 23 year olds as opposed to Premier League journeymen.

What if was £11m?
    What would you think then?

Spending that sort of money also tells every other club to hold out for more.

A journey man who can do a good job for one season and then go, as Terry did at Villa, is a far better option than having players who are overpriced, untested and could be a long term financial liability.

What if was £11m?

A journey man who can do a good job for one season and then go, as Terry did at Villa, is a far better option than having players who are overpriced, untested and could be a long term financial liability.
    It’s not my money so so I don’t really care, that said, I have no idea how the transfer fee is structured but modern day transfers are usually incentive based.

If we stay up, it’s money well spent, if we go down, we sell him and we then we get most of the fee back or we have a great player well equipped for the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    It’s not my money so so I don’t really care, that said, I have no idea how the transfer fee is structured but modern day transfers are usually incentive based.

If we stay up, it’s money well spent, if we go down, we sell him and we then we get most of the fee back or we have a great player well equipped for the Championship.
    It could influence season ticket prices or, if a Villa fan feeling the worse, whether even a club to have a season ticket for.

I agree that it's massively unlikely to be 11m up front. Still feels 3-4 million over-spend but guess it's the premier league premium kicking in.

What if was £11m?

What a load of complete bollocks. You’re better off having someone with potential on the books than some old carthorse on 100k a week.

£11 million is nothing in today’s market, not one team in the premier league didn’t sign a player for at least 10 million last season. Can we stop acting like it’s a huge sum?